Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PC JRPG GAMING!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:39 pm 

So here's a link to a small section on 'Snes Rpg Gaming' dedicated to PC Jrpg style of games iv'e played and recommend to people to try out. Let me know if there's
any YOU think I should try out myself and i'll add it to the list, just make sure it's Jrpg and NOT tactical, platform or like Buldar's Gate, Fallout, Diablo, etc.. basically
NOT Crpgs. ALSO please, please, please... don't list 'rpg maker games', I WILL NOT entertain those at all unless they are very unique in graphics, story and gameplay
and look NOTHING like the crappy RTP style of graphics that the engine gives you to use.

http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/pc-zone.html

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

Last edited by SylarDean on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PC JRPG GAMING!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 pm 

I would say you missed The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky series, Eliminage-Gothic, Last Dream<---fucking amazing for an rpgmaker game, Breath of Death VII and Cthulu saves the world, Half Minute Heroes series, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Dragon Age seroes, Penny's arcade on the Rain Slick prepice episode 3 & 4, Valdis Story, Witcher series, Labryonia 1&2, Doom & Destiny series, and Septerra Core....

Not a lot but a few ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:08 pm 

kain611 wrote:
I would say you missed The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky series, Eliminage-Gothic, Last Dream<---fucking amazing for an rpgmaker game, Breath of Death VII and Cthulu saves the world, Half Minute Heroes series, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Dragon Age seroes, Penny's arcade on the Rain Slick prepice episode 3 & 4, Valdis Story, Witcher series, Labryonia 1&2, Doom & Destiny series, and Septerra Core....

Not a lot but a few ;)

:O i missed out the legend of heroes :O lmao have that on my steam game list also.. lol.
Septerra Core.. that's already on that PC page :) great game, bloody hard on times though.
Eliminage Gothic.. :O that looks like a fun game.. will try that out myself first, looks a little like the Grimlock series.
doom is a 3d dungeon shooter.
Precipice episode 3 and 4.. totally missed those.
Half minute heroes games.. tried those and hated them, so I personally wouldn't recommend those to anyone so not added those to list.
The Witcher series.. though those are brilliant, they are NOT Jrpg.. same with gothic series and dragon age series, i'm trying to keep the list as close to Jrpg style of games as possible.
Valdis Story.. good platform game BUT again.. it's not a Jrpg. :(

SO! a couple there I could add to list, thanks dude :)

I SHOULD have stated in original post, (and will change that now in a second), it's NO BIG secret that I HATE rpg maker games and wont entertain them unless they really stand out with it's own graphics and style. I'm sick and tired of rpg maker games on STEAM looking bloody awful and people using the same old rtp graphics that come with the rpg maker program. STEAM really needs to put a time limit on rpg maker games that they wont be put on STEAM unless the graphics are original, and over 20+ hours of game play. The prices people charge for those games are ridiculous, like £8 for a 4/5 hour game.. lmao. AND.. how many times on an rpg maker game's description on STEAM will they start with.. 'An epic RPG, heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and the Dragon Quest series'? lmao.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:14 pm 

I think Kain was referring to the 'Doom & Destiny' series completely on its own. I've never heard of it. But now that I've checked their Steam pages of the Italian-made games that even though they're built on the RPG Maker I'd hazard a guess to say that they look different enough to the sea of samey RPGMaker games and are totally worth playing. Yeah I kinda agree with you on the Half-Minute Heroes series (1st on the PSP then PC). They'd first need to be played before a judgment is being passed on them. I've never played them but don't feel them to be authentic JRPGs, it's just like your crack semi-JRPG fix.

And, oh, also as SylarDean specifically said to AVOID the CRPGs (Computer RPGs) he MEANS the Western-style RPGs made mainly on the PC AND ESPECIALLY made by the Western developers. Those games are fantastic and I warm more to them than the recent 3D linear JRPGS from Japan such as the Final Fantasy games (PS2-3 games). BUT they AREN'T JRPGs in any way at all! So, no Dragon Age's (Canadian dev Bioware of Baldur's Gate' fame), Gothic's/Risen's (German) nor Witcher's (Polish). I'm happy with SylarDean's focus to keep his PC game for the games that are either JRPGs or similar in feeling to that genre only. Not to make it even more cumbersome by the vast amount of quality CRPGs from the 1990's to this decade! Coz the PC JRPG list is obviously much smaller! I don't know about Kingdoms of Amalur, are you sure? It was from a then-defunct RTS maker Big Huge Games (or its former staff. It was meant to be a MMORPG but then changed midway to be a RPG so it suffers from having lots of grindy quests, mediocre textures and overall quality.
I haven't heard of Labyronia. *Ah-choo! It's just another mediocre RPG Maker series that I wouldn't bother to play at all!
Also, good news, SylarDean, the Kickstarted SRPG project 'Arcadian Atlas' has been ported over to the Unity engine, thus demonising forever its previous bogged down RPG Maker engine! But you said not to include any tactics RPGs :P. Also you can check some other successful projects on my Kickstarter thread somewhere here for good examples to include in the future if you like. As always it's there!

Thanks, Kain, for mentioning the Legend of Heroes titles (I hadn't remembered them now) and at my wondering, 'Breath of Death VII' & 'Cthulhu Saves the World' from the same dev. That dev, Zeboyd Games, is soon going to release 'Cosmic Star Heroine' (custom engine definitely, NOT a RPGMaker engine, dude!), which looks kind of like Pier Solar. Keep it on your radar. Also the later Precipice episodes which I wasn't sure of why he didn't already add it.

Did you know that a full English patch for the beautiful Japanese-made 'Wizardry Chronicle' has been released late last month?! Now the same team members should be working on a full patch for 'Wizardry Empire: Ikoshie no Oujo' (Princess of the Ancient).
I'd also mention that 'Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book' has also gotten a recent new full English patch. But given its ugly array of tiny windows-driven management that'd be enough to turn us off away from it. It also unfortunately isn't available digitally unlike the first 3 Lunatic Dawn PC games & Book of Futures. 'LD: Book of Futures' also has its own recent full patch too and is available on Japanese Steam which means everybody with an international Steam account should be able to access it. It's also similarly ugly. The first 3 LD games do look better organized and therefore sweeter on the eyes - they're also on Steam. But unfortunately the first 2 can't be cracked due to their compression format. A team is working on the 3rd, though.

Which reminds me, Spiderweb Software has a range of indie deep isometric CRPGs like the Avernum, Avadon and Geneforge series. But they're probably too Western like the older Ultima & western Wizardry games &, um, I don't want to play them. Huge time-sinks and too cheap feeling compared to Bioware & Black Isle's Infinity Engine games.

'Lords of Xulima' is also on GOG. Several 'Hyperdimension Neptunia' games (kinda ecchi unless we want to avoid including them on a purely ecchi-free basis!) are on Steam & at least one of them on GOG. Your list is very clever and well-researched. I like their release dates. I haven't heard of several titles like Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity, Saturday Morning RPG, The Amber Throne (very new but I think it's atop the RPG Maker engine but well-shrouded) and Trulon I shall give SOME of them a look/play. Also since you seem to like 'I Am Setsuna' better than the average reviews I may well give it a go. A South Park sequel is imminent too.

Head up Games is putting a lite Zelda-like game 'Windscape' on Steam Early Access. Looks promising.

* ADDENDUM: I also checked your anime zone page yesterday after checking your new, lovely PC Zone page and I don't know why, but I should have come across it again recently as I was researching the various anime streaming websites that are sorta in a legally gray area to catch episodes of the older anime shows. But your Chrono Trigger OVA link doesn't work. However the many other web-links from there are lovely and I didn't know that you'd willingly link to some of those anime streamers including one site that I hadn't come across before. Also don't forget to add in the Princess Minerva OVA (I think you first told me about it before) as well as the Demon Child Zenki series and Hyper Iria shortened anime/OVA. Check the Youtube links I've got for the latter in the Hyper Iria sub-forum here.

* ADDENDUM 2: Ah, your Anime Zone says that those animes are only related to all the SFC/SNES games listed in your web-zone. Well, perhaps a case could be made for you to create a separate & simpler category underneath for the animes tied to those RPGs that have no English dub nor subs. Also perhaps make a non-RPG listing.

* ADDENDUM 3: Never mind Deathspank. I've tried it. It quickly gets boring and repetitive. It is only a slight parody of other action RPGs like Diablo & Torchlight but even these hardcore examples are better and Torchlight's cartoonish visuals LOOK A WHOLE LOT better than the art style of Deathspank, which isn't that great to look at. There is NO story to speak of and it's full of fetch quests and even the humour is low-rate. There are plenty of better ARPGs to try, so forget about Deathspank. It is in no way close to the JRPG style of gaming that you're looking for. I'm going to uninstall it enthusiastically.

Last edited by ObiKKa on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:03 am 

To anyone please try out Last Dream...there is a demo. It is well worth it. http://whitegiantrpg.com/games/last-dream/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:15 am 

@Obikka .. i'll look into making changes, thanks for letting me know about the Chrono Trigger OVA. When Princess Minerva gets it's game release I will then add it into the anime OVA, it WAS me who linked you that OVA, it's the story that leads up to the game, i'll get that sorted soon though, and your other suggestions. Your correct in your thinking of what I meant by pc rpgs, thing is.. if you look around the net.. it's VERY hard to find a good list of PC Jrpg games available that are NOT made on rpg maker and are similar to the feel of Snes/Ps1 Jrpgs/Adventure games such as zelda, dragon quest, tales of.. , final fantasy etc.. so that was my thinking in making that list, it's so people are able to see a list of GOOD PC Jrpg games available and worth time to pay for and play.
Doom & Destiny, I see now and all i can say is.. the character art looks unique but EEEEEK! I see standard RTP tilesets, why Enterbrain changed the look of the characters/tilesets from rmxp to rmvx is beyond me.. it looks all squished up and VERY GBC/NDS pokemon-like, i'm NOT a pokemon fan at all, another reason why I wont entertain RPG maker games.. LOL! it's an endless quest of mine to give reasons why I don't like them.. i'm finding reason all the time, which makes me hate them even more, LMAO!

@kain611 I tried this about a week ago, whilst the story seemed entertaining the biggest let down for me was the use of the standard RTP graphics which was a big let down and turned me off playing the rest of the game after playing for 15 minutes, read my posts above for the reasons why I rarely entertain rpg maker games, iv'e said why too many times already now lol. If that game had it's own unique graphics I probably would have invested in donating to the project, (which is REALLY rare for me spending cash on an RM made game), but as it stands it's a NO GO for me, Sorry :(

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 pm 

Not a problem Sylar.

In other news do you plan on doing a Sanctuary for Dragon Quest VII and VIII when they come out for the 3DS later this year?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:37 pm 

kain611 wrote:
Not a problem Sylar.

In other news do you plan on doing a Sanctuary for Dragon Quest VII and VIII when they come out for the 3DS later this year?

Nope.. I loved DQ 7 and 8, I only plan on doing sanctuaries for Snes titles and adding to those when i can here and there. With me starting University also tomorrow
those sanctuaries will head to a very slow pace to get them finished off now :( luckily fridays and weekends are free so I can work on them those days here and there.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:43 am 

Sylar! Did you know about this little but epic 1995 eroge JRPG "Legends of Xentar", that was ported for the DOS PC from "Dragon Knight III" on older computers? It's actually in English! Well, the only game in the Dragon Knight series (4 games in all) to be localized in English. I've come across this new video of the entire English game (Clocking at under 10 hours) being played on the PC! So you can perhaps add it to your Jap PC Zone!

Knights of Xentar (PC) Playthrough (18+) - NintendoComplete (Oct 5, 2016. NSFW. Nice description.)

Also I didn't tell you before about another amazing-looking Kickstarter JRPG-style game made by a small French team and built on the Unity engine called Edge of Eternity. When it comes out then you can check and play it. It's still in alpha ATM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:11 pm 

OOOOOH! that knights of xantar looks fun.. will give that a go soon :O

Spoiler! :