Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another congrats!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Well done guys! Quick little releases are loads of fun! Got any more on the horizon?

Post subject: Re: Another congrats!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:33 am 

Yeah, I caught your message, Draken, before eventually hours later they'd put up the news post on this translated game patch coming up. Gonna try it one day. Good thing that someone here has submitted it at romhacking. But I saw another unusual entry in the queue: a new translation for the Dark Half RPG by Siryoink. Hmm. I thought Aeon Genesis had already used his incomplete translation work and then continued his own project and completed it last year.
ADDENDUM: It's now got its own translation page. Also as for that other Dark Half translation patch it's an incomplete one from siryoink. But the description there sorta implies that he and Eien ni Hen are going to continue working on it. But if so then why would they as Gideon Zhi had already used his work and finished it off?

Found some large articles of this game actually. This game's mini-page links to two very long opinion pieces written in February 2011 from perhaps the same user who is very gushing over this game! They've got loads of screenshots and go into many details about the game itself so they're worth checking out, for sure! I wonder if he's aware of this translation patch anytime now. Here's the linked Youtube video coverage (Be sure to read the description).
Also, a more recent and balanced review from March 2014 by a grumpy Brit blogger with colourful language and lots of massaging of the forms of paragraphs and essay-writing! You should check out his blog because he has been writing about all things old-school console and arcade video games (unfortunately for him, mostly bad games) from 2010 to now (2016) so it's modern and worth visiting! Be sure to check his links page for more videogame resources.

* EDIT July 8, 2016: Retro Collect had a news announcement of this English patch dated on 19 FEBRUARY 2016.

Last edited by ObiKKa on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:07 pm 

Awesome job! I didn't see the new posted at romhacking.net yet so I figured I would post here and say congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 am 

Had a discussion with one of the team members behind this translation patch. I've tested that the original ROM for this BS Satellaview game doesn't yet work on higan 0.97, 0.95 and bsnes 0.91 but does work on Snes9x 1.53 (with the translated patch). I'd already thought that byuu was able to get all BS games working on his higan emulator. Or maybe I tried to load them the wrong way. As you can see in my above post one reviewer was in conversation with someone else who was able to convert the BS cart (if they do exist) to work on a Powerpak accessory for the SNES/SFC console. I do not know much about the BS Satellaview format TBH.

Last edited by ObiKKa on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Quick reply, but it works for me on bsnes v0.6.8 (ancient I know)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Working fine on BSNES 080 and 091 :) (though the splash is kind of odd on 091 it does work) You are right, I can't get it to work on Higan. The readme has now been changed to reflect that info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:02 am 

I've been trying to run the various ROM dumps of this game on several higan builds and various bsnes builds (0.91, 0.88, 0.87 & 0.80) over three days with no luck. I was able to find the old bsnes builds here which also has other tools. Version 0.3 of snespurify and higan 0.92 can be found here. I haven't been able to boot up this game nor its translated variants in these emulators at all! And I've given up. In many cases there's just a black screen when this game presumably booted up. But on one of those days I'd tried my Mednafen build 0.9.38.5 (Latest version on the website currently is 0.9.38.7) with the mednaffe frontend (I tried the MedGUI frontend last year but it's got a badly broken GUI). The mednaffe looks basic but is nice and powerful and does provide most of the same graphical enhancement solutions that can be found in the Snes9x build. And this game and its translated patch WORKED just fine on it! The Mednafen emulator is very good for a range of consoles and forks off an old bsnes build plus the team's own improvements for SNES emulation. And this emulator does NOT need you to first do the silly auto-creation of folders with multiple data files that byuu asks of you to do with the snes/purify and icarus tools for the bsnes and higan emulators respectively! It just boots up the SFC/SNES games by themselves! It's alright!
Even this old info page warned that bsnes at least has only limited support for the BS-X games but this game can boot up on my Snes9x and Mednafen builds no problems!

The purify tools on the bsnes builds (the 0.87 one crashes on my modern Win 7 64-bit system) aren't very good at finding any ROM files, although v1 on bsnes 0.80 seems to be better at scanning for and seeing them all and choosing one or a few to convert into multiple-file folders (eg. upgrading .smc files into .sfc or .sfc into .bs. Though neither bsnes nor higan can find the .bs files, weird.). The higan builds have this 'icarus' tool, which is like an improved version of snespurify and is probably better at tracking down and converting some ROM files into new bootable folders. But no luck for this BS-X game.

Many users in the past have had problems trying to purify the ROMs and/or booting them up in bsnes/higan as can be seen in many of these various forum threads. Also one more thread where many dumbfounded users have pointed out many usability problems just as I've found too. Really strange for byuu to insist on forcing you to create these multiple folders (why two instead of one for a ROM, for instance?!) and why the emulators can in most cases only boot up from these 'folder structures' INSTEAD of the actual game data files. Good grief, weird! So unlike basically every other emulator I've ever used (though I haven't bothered with MAME). Why doesn't he just have his emus build these data folders with just the save and misc files, not a copy of the game data file while you boot up a new game ROM? The problem is that many users will be turned off by them and thus don't help him much with improving the very problematic user design principles of his emulators. Therefore his emulators are in this 'investment/development death spiral' cycle (common term for the auto manufacturing industry) which can cause them to 'devolve' to be horrible to use coz not many people use it nor reach him for help or offer tips to improve it! byuu is very hard to reach and I don't want to register on his board so...

Retroarch, which uses the higan core, may be good but I don't like it because of: 1) large install size, 2) incredibly clunky, cumbersome and overarching settings/config menus - WORSE than Sony's XMB menu on the PS3/PS4 which is easier to make out and move across, 3) hard to remember/see whether certain settings are default or not and which parts of the settings some 'reset to default' options may impact on, 4) There's NO control config menus for ANY relevant emulator cores as far as I can see (!), this thing is controllable ONLY with the keyboard key presses or your gamepad button presses (for TV setups) - no MOUSE usage at all (!) - so slow! Absolutely hate it. I want to forget about it! Openemu is similar to it but for the Mac PCs. Bizhawk is OK with accurate emulator cores but there's no graphical enhancement options, too few settings for the console emulations and it's just way too much focused on TAS (Tool-Assisted Speedrun?) video recording, so I don't like it at all.

But I've tested the bsnes again with two normal SNES games as well as on higan (although the latter or both I'd recommend to use the related tools to 'purify' the ROMs into new bootable folders) and they worked. So for normal SNES/SFC (excepting the BS-X and maybe Sufami Turbo games) I'd recommend any user to try these emus for perfect accuracy and the Snes9x for good compatibility with a large set of enhanced 'THX' magic :P.

So Taskforce, I think you should add a statement on the notepad for this game and any future complicated format game to the effect of: "If you're having difficulty/issues with using bsnes/higan to boot up and run a BS-X or any complicated SFC game like [insert this game title] then Mednafen with a good frontend is the recommended alternative solution for high accuracy and easy loading of said games."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

I Love Golf does work for me on BSNES just fine. Although, the way I launch it is to put the game in the BSNES folder and launch it with this command

bsnes.exe golf.sfc

And it boots.

Here is a shot of the emu with the game running. That being said, the game refuses to work unless it is in the bsnes folder. If the game is located anywhere else and you try to launch it, the emulator will just terminate. So yeah it is highly problematic, but it does work.

Attachments:
bsnes1.jpg
bsnes1.jpg [ 25.9 KiB | Viewed 19343 times ]
bsnes2.jpg
bsnes2.jpg [ 74.51 KiB | Viewed 19343 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:39 pm 

Spoiler! :
taskforce wrote:
I Love Golf does work for me on BSNES just fine. Although, the way I launch it is to put the game in the BSNES folder and launch it with this command

bsnes.exe golf.sfc

And it boots.

Here is a shot of the emu with the game running. That being said, the game refuses to work unless it is in the bsnes folder. If the game is located anywhere else and you try to launch it, the emulator will just terminate. So yeah it is highly problematic, but it does work.

Nope it doesn't work for me. I also copied both bsnes 0.80 and 0.91 folders over to the main C: drive and inserted the translated ROM using your same title name and launched from the command prompt. But still the same black screen on v0.80 although nothing happens on 0.91. Perhaps my dumps are bad? But let's not worry about it. I've gotten it working on other emulators.
EDIT: Just confirming that with taskforce's minor Revision fix patch that would have to be retroactively applied onto a Revision 1.1 ROM before applying the official translation patch over it it does work on bsnes and higan for me.

Last edited by ObiKKa on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

I'll go ahead and drop a note in the readme that BSNES and Higan should probably be avoided for this game. Although, I'd prefer not to make a recommendation for alternatives, I don't particularly like to influence how one chooses to play said games. Thanks for the work in testing.