Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: About the fonts
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 pm 

Hi guys, I hope I don't sound like an asshole with this topic, but I figured I might as well bring it up. What kind of criteria do you use to pick the fonts for your translations? I saw the news of La Wares translation and I'm pretty hype about that :D
But then I saw you will use the same font as you used in Burning Heroes
I confess that I kinda disliked that font... to the point it makes me hard for me to play Burning Heroes. I have no idea why that happens, I know this font is perfectly fine and readable... but... I don't know... it feels kinda plain, and doesn't add much to the general feeling of the game, in my opinion.

I hope you don't think I came here to bash on your work. I really love what you guys do and I'm really grateful for all the games you have translated. I don't think it's an issue to really fret over. I bet I'm the only person in the world who is bothered about that :P
Just for comparison, I'm gonna list here some screenshots of previous projects you guys have worked on. I feel like the fonts used in those give more... personality to the games...

I'm sorry if I sound whiny or if I offended someone. I wanted to offer some constructive criticism. But, again, probably this doesn't bother anyone else.

Anyways, I think you guys are awesome and keep up the good work! ^^

Post subject: Re: About the fonts
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

ze1 wrote:
Hi guys, I hope I don't sound like an asshole with this topic, but I figured I might as well bring it up. What kind of criteria do you use to pick the fonts for your translations? I saw the news of La Wares translation and I'm pretty hype about that :D
But then I saw you will use the same font as you used in Burning Heroes
I confess that I kinda disliked that font... to the point it makes me hard for me to play Burning Heroes. I have no idea why that happens, I know this font is perfectly fine and readable... but... I don't know... it feels kinda plain, and doesn't add much to the general feeling of the game, in my opinion.

I hope you don't think I came here to bash on your work. I really love what you guys do and I'm really grateful for all the games you have translated. I don't think it's an issue to really fret over. I bet I'm the only person in the world who is bothered about that :P
Just for comparison, I'm gonna list here some screenshots of previous projects you guys have worked on. I feel like the fonts used in those give more... personality to the games...

I'm sorry if I sound whiny or if I offended someone. I wanted to offer some constructive criticism. But, again, probably this doesn't bother anyone else.

Anyways, I think you guys are awesome and keep up the good work! ^^
So, show us a font you believe is better suited to the tone of La Wares.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 pm 

I don't know much about that game to suggest one. :P

Aeon Genesis did a wonderful job with Live A Live, by giving each scenario a specific font. But I guess in that case it was easier since each scenario had an unique environment and stuff... and I imagine that was really hard to do :P

In Burning Heroes' case, it could have been a font that better translated the heroes' passion. Or at least, anything that didn't seem as bland as the one used. I don't know, it's a mere aesthetic thing that kinda bothers me, but probably not worthy spending too much time on, specially since I don't know what is the cost of changing the fonts you guys are already using.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

ze1 wrote:
I don't know much about that game to suggest one. :P

Aeon Genesis did a wonderful job with Live A Live, by giving each scenario a specific font. But I guess in that case it was easier since each scenario had an unique environment and stuff... and I imagine that was really hard to do :P

In Burning Heroes' case, it could have been a font that better translated the heroes' passion. Or at least, anything that didn't seem as bland as the one used. I don't know, it's a mere aesthetic thing that kinda bothers me, but probably not worthy spending too much time on, specially since I don't know what is the cost of changing the fonts you guys are already using.
The amount of time and effort going into the insertion of a font depends on whether we import one, design one from the ground up, or modify one. I'm sure you will agree that fonts are a matter of personal taste. Personally, I don't pay too much attention to them unless I have difficulty reading it. I would also say that all things being equal, I would yield to the preferences of the translator or the programmer.

This game has a post-apocalyptic feel centered around rather primitive living conditions, but it employs highly complex gadgetry from what appears to be a long-forgotten advanced society.

Again, if you run across a font you like that seems to fit such a "personality" in a game, feel free to recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:43 am 
Site Admin

That font is used currently because its what i tested with. Not only that, just so happens that this game, Gran Historia and Burning Heroes all use the same text and font system. So it was pretty much a copy and paste job. Does not mean its a finalize selection. We have not released yet so there is still time. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:29 am 
Site Admin

Personally, I'm never really bothered by which font is used in a game, but I know that it can be a deal breaker for some. I'd say that among all of us working here at D-D, Taskforce has the best eye for fonts, and I think changes were made in the past to at least one title based on his opinions. Maybe he could provide us with some alternatives that he thinks would look better. Also, if anyone else reading wants to make suggestions, then please do! If they are compatible with the game's system, maybe we could set up a poll and let everyone out there make the decision on which font we use. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:49 am 
Site Admin

The problem is, that with some of these games, work gets started before a final font choice is put in place, and with VWF, changing a font after work has started is absolutely impossible unless someone doesn't mind redoing all the work. I was asked at one time by Wildbill if I wanted to update the font for Burning Heroes, but that was long after it was a possibility to do so. After the fact, the only changes you can make are changes that don't alter the size of the font in any way. Make a letter less wide is OK but more wide is out of the question, this will cause overruns in already completed work.

I did do those kinds of changes to Super Shell Monster Story I recently, so it is possible to do them, but in Burning Heroes case, that wouldn't have really worked out to give it the personality it needed.

What it comes down to, we need to start making fonts a first priority when doing work instead of assuming that those can be done at any old time. Now I do have a couple caveats about that so don't get riled at me just yet guys.

First, I'm not saying that all fonts need to be custom made. I personally don't mind the Burning Heroes font. It is wide, easily readable and that is generally the most important things to me. I can understand however, if some found the font plain or boring. And added a general lack of personality to the game. I might have used a font that looked like is was a bit more messy (as if it were on fire to some extent) but that font isn't bad.

Second, as long as you guys are keeping readability in mind, I'm not going to complain. I wouldn't have said a word had this conversation not come up and I don't feel the Burning Heroes font needed to be reworked either. Could there have been a font more fitting, yeah, but I'm not complaining.

Finally, about La Wares, I'm perfectly fine building a new or modifying an existing font for the game. Just to give it a bit more personality. However, I'm not real familiar with the game so that makes it harder for me to design a fitting font. I am also completely open to outside suggestions. Anything that saves me work is a good thing too :)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

The front manual cover conveys the tone - medieval Eastern mystical mixed with an incongruous mecha presence. A totally mecha-look would not work. How about a Eastern medieval font with a few mecha touches?

Recca has already formatted this entire game, but if the font was smaller it would still all fit. I'll be doing a rewrite but not until later this year or 2016. Now's the time to settle on a font. I can send the package over to you, TF. You can even do a next pass if you want.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Then, we have the eight mysterious (female?) elemental wizards or sorceresses - surrounding one unknown being in the center - and a nearby sealed "evil presence" going, "Grrrrr...!" that Zhoma yearns to unleash! They want all of the golems and the best pilots, too, so Zhoma may execute her super-secret PLAN, whatever that is!! Bwaa-haa-haa (and alla that)...!!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:56 am 

Too be honest about the fonts, I really thought nothing of it and I still don't mind them right now. That being said, I think the font choices for some of those other games mentioned looked nicer and did fit the game very well.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons