Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Post subject: Yes friends, the project is back in production once again...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:47 am 
Site Admin

Oni-Ii is back in production again, but this time it has a new dedicated translator named Brandnewscooby taking on the challenge of this games translation. She is new to the console translation scene, but has done other PC game translations in the past. She assures me she will stick it out for the long haul on this game and has already turned over a small portion of translated text to me. So, barring anything unforeseen happening, we should finally be able to get this game to completion. Finally, don't expect this game soon, this is one of if not the largest amount of text in any game we've done. It will take time to translate all of it and then get it all back in the game.

Post subject: Re: Yes friends, the project is back in production once agai
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:51 am 
Site Admin

A big three cheers to Brandnewscooby for jumping on board!

Hip-hip hooray!! (x3)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:28 am 
Site Admin

He is a brave man. Glad to have him aboard. She's a brave woman. Glad to have her on board. :)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:44 pm 

Woman, actually - and thank you! Thrilled to be working with such a talented team.

(also, edit: I didn't realize you were the one responsible for the Slayers translation, filler! I played the living hell out of that when it came out. The script for that game was BRILLIANT and definitely a motivator for me looking more into the console game translating scene!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:
Woman, actually - and thank you! Thrilled to be working with such a talented team.

(also, edit: I didn't realize you were the one responsible for the Slayers translation, filler! I played the living hell out of that when it came out. The script for that game was BRILLIANT and definitely a motivator for me looking more into the console game translating scene!)

That's wonderful to hear. Credit for the final script all goes to WildBill but I'd like to think that he had something good to start from. :) The scene could always use passionate translators and it seems like they're not always easy to come by. What kind of stuff have you worked on btw?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm 

Holy @#$%, this is amazing! I can't believe this ship hasn't sailed apparently. Thank you Dynamic Designs for once again making a wish come true!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 pm 

filler wrote:
brandnewscooby wrote:

That's wonderful to hear. Credit for the final script all goes to WildBill but I'd like to think that he had something good to start from. :) The scene could always use passionate translators and it seems like they're not always easy to come by. What kind of stuff have you worked on btw?

Absolutely, a scriptwriter goes a loooong way in making natural-sounding and interesting dialogue but I'd like to think the translator's style comes through at least somewhat in the finished product :)

Like Taskforce mentioned, I'm a complete baby as far as the fanslation scene's considered. I've done various bite-sized translation projects, paid and unpaid, but my first time translating something as large-scale as an entire game script was less than a year ago when I did 7th Stand User. It was my first big project and a great learning experience, but obviously a completely different animal than any coordinated game translation effort - I'm completely tech-illiterate so RPG Maker is, shamefully, as complicated as I can handle, I'm in constant awe of people who do ROMhacking as a hobby.

If nothing else, though, I have confidence in my Japanese skills. I'm going to work as hard as I can to put out a high-quality translation for y'all, you have my word :I

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:55 am 
Site Admin

OBOYO_BOYO_BOYO...! Finally... A lady in our midst. These are all good guys 'round here, but... Well, they're all GUYS! How boring!!

Welcome to the party, Brandnewscooby!!

Glad you enjoyed Slayers RPG. As I recall, Filler and I brainstormed just about every scene before moving on, so he is the translator, and the two of us are essentially co-authors, collaborators, whatever ya wanna call it. To prepare myself, I dredged up just about every complaint people had made about previous fan translations of other Slayers products and tried to avoid repeating possible "mis-steps". Second, I watched dozens of Slayers anime scenes to internalize the way the characters spoke and interacted. Finally, I added a bit of my own warped sense of humor here and there... something that goes over with many players but not all.

Of course, Slayers RPG has a major, major twist in the story that I won't divulge here! In most cases, a writer couldn't sell this premise to a commercial producer, but the Japanese author pulled it off beautifully, and Filler laid out the whole enchilada, right in my lap. It was a total frolic for me - start to finish!

Filler has done two additional scripts that feature mostly ladies, Aretha-I and II, but Ariel - the protagonist in both Arethas - is a polar opposite to Lina Inverse. Both of those Aretha games are in late production. Filler's work in Aretha-I is so pinpoint (He translated Aretha-II first), I breezed through the first draft last summer and have just started with first rewrite. Aretha-II, I've got to re-do the first half because it turned out to be a direct sequel. The climax of the second game throws yet another major twist in your face, but unlike Slayers, it comes crashing down on you near the end of this duo series!

Finally, Taskforce has worked Princess Minerva to the final polish stage, an RPG with an all-lady band of warriors - up against an all-female gang of villains! I've never seen a game such as this before, and it was translated by Eien Ni Hen, another lady translator, one who is highly regarded in our "community". That game is a hoot, too, so far, almost as much madcap mayhem as Slayers!

Heh, I guess one could say we're all fairly passionate - even obsessed - with what we do here! Finally, I would add the tones set by our dedicated translators always shine through. In addition to Eien and Princess Minerva, this includes Gerb with the Super Shell Monster Story series (in production), Manske in Chaos Seed (released), Shiva Indus' work in Silva Saga-II (released), and Ritchie's script in Burning Heroes (released).

Again, welcome aboard, Brandnewscoobie!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Well, I took the time to do a test insertion with the stuff Brandnewscooby had sent, and here is some actual text from the game for you to gawk at. Remember, this is still raw text that I've just temporarily formatted and it will likely look different in the final version. This is just the first few screens of text from the intro.

Attachments:
ONI-2_00001.png
ONI-2_00001.png [ 3.38 KiB | Viewed 33565 times ]
ONI-2_00000.png
ONI-2_00000.png [ 3.6 KiB | Viewed 33565 times ]
ONI-2_00002.png
ONI-2_00002.png [ 12.47 KiB | Viewed 33565 times ]
ONI-2_00003.png
ONI-2_00003.png [ 8.77 KiB | Viewed 33565 times ]
ONI-2_00004.png
ONI-2_00004.png [ 14.67 KiB | Viewed 33565 times ]
ONI-2_00005.png
ONI-2_00005.png [ 12.84 KiB | Viewed 33565 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Looking good! Always glad to see progress, and it is always a real pleasure to have another translator in the forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next