Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PS4 in Brazil will cost $1,800 dollars!?!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:11 am 

I heard that Brazil taxes pretty heavily, but this is far beyond anything I could have imagined. Red Soul, we'll have to sneak you a PS4 sometime in the future. :o

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post subject: Re: PS4 in Brazil will cost $1,800 dollars!?!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:57 pm 

ultpaladin wrote:
I heard that Brazil taxes pretty heavily, but this is far beyond anything I could have imagined. Red Soul, we'll have to sneak you a PS4 sometime in the future. :o

Taxes. 70% of taxes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:26 am 
Site Admin

I'm all for paying taxes to help fund social programs and the like, but what the heck?! That's robbery!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 am 

70% over $400 results in $680, so wtf is this $1800?

Sony is mercenary.

The price for the XboxOne in Brazil will be half this price, even the Xone price being $100 more expensive in the USA.

Brazil has a tremendous game market, so I think Sony will sell a lot of consoles, even for $1800. But I'm pretty sure this price will drop shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:01 am 

And going to Draken's point, if they are charging this much in taxes for items like this, why are there so many protests in Brazil about the quality of social services?

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

You have to understand that just because the base price in the US is $399 doesn't mean a thing. They probably charge the company import taxes and other fees besides final sales taxes and other things that you pay after the fact. Which would result in the base price being much more expensive than the US base price. Just because something is $399 in the US or 41,979 yen in Japan doesn't mean that it will be equivalent in other markets and regions. That 70% taxes might be sales tax but it could be another 600% taxes for the company to even sell them there, and of course they're going to pass that cost on. And I have no actual info on the market there beyond what our good people around here tell me, this is just my general observation about how it could happen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:22 am 

I heard Brazil HEAVILY taxes anything that's not manufactured in the country.
So unless Sony wants to open a Brazilian manufacturing facility to make the PS4, they have to pay insane taxes. (and probably one reason Sega and Nintendo licensed their consoles to Brazilian companies rather than sell them directly)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 am 

The worst part of it all is Sony does have a Brazil branch (I believe it was announced back at PS3 launch), but the taxes really are ridiculous here - about 60% of the final retail price, more or less.
The XBOX One probably won't come out any cheaper either even though the situation is the same (Microsoft has a Brazilian branch, translated manuals, firmware and what have you).

But the final irony, the final nail to this coffin is the government runs anti-piracy campaigns on a regular basis... laughable really.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:13 am 

I thought I read that the Xbox One will be a little over a $1,000 in Brazil, almost half the cost of the PS4. I finally saw the two new systems for the first time at an electronic store. The graphics do seem better, but honestly the jumps in quality seem to be getting smaller over the generations now. Eventually I'll probably get a PS4, but there still isn't a game I am heavily interested in yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:35 am 

Too early for me to pitch in this bondwagon, but I regret not having gotten a PS3, so I doubt I'll repeat the mistake by getting a XB1 this time. Microsoft already has a pretty big market share with PC software as a whole, so I don't intend to give them any more incentive to grow into a market niche where they don't really belong, at least in my opinion.