Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Translation update
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:27 am 

filler wrote:
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Eien ni Hen for accepting our request to translate this script and for turning it around so quickly! I'm really excited for this one. I'd be curious to hear your impressions (with as few spoilers as possible) now that the script is complete.

You're very welcome. And now that I'm done with Minerva, I can dedicate a lot more time to translating Slayers. :D

As for my impressions of the script, Minerva is pretty standard RPG fare with some weird puns and gags thrown in. One of the things that stuck out is the usage of みたい, そう, よう, and らしい in the script. These are different degrees of "it seems"/"I heard" in Japanese. (This forum post helps explain the subtle differences.) You often see this in RPGs (with villagers telling your party rumors and stuff), but it seems really overused in Minerva. I toned it down a little in my translation.

Some of the gags were very difficult to translate, like lines from the TV series "Momotaro Zamurai" and "Oedo Sosamo". The easiest (and funniest) gag was when
Spoiler! :
this dude hits on your party, only to be cursed out by Olin. He tries it again later and realizes his mistake, then tries to pretend like he's singing a song instead.
I used the song "Get Happy" in my translation, probably because I was re-watching "Twin Peaks" at the time I was translating, and the scene that song is used in always creeps me out.

Lastly, the ending to the game
Spoiler! :
is nothing short of a total copout. There's some goofy quasi-religious stuff, and the final bad guy (who was masquerading as Hagan the whole time! gasp!) comes from out of nowhere. There's a HUGE chunk of PLOT before the final battle(s), which was tedious and honestly a bit irritating.

Overall a fun game to translate, but there do appear to be some glitches in the game which I hope can be fixed during the hacking phase. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Heh, can't wait for more Slayers goodness. :) The script seems to have a lot of personality to it. Hopefully it will be fun to translate.

It's funny how I asked for few spoilers but when you offered them I read them with no hesitation. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The lines from TV shows thing reminds me of Minimum Nanonic, a PC-FX game I played recently. In it these 3 sisters start guessing about how the bad guys are going to make their entrance and when none of them guess right they call some rule from a game or game show that you call when no one gets it right. It's Oya no Soutori (親の総取り). The follow up is 親って。。。だれ? I'm still not really sure if the joke is that the girl doesn't understand the reference, or that there is no one to call the rule on. Gotta love those weird little gags. ;)

And what's with Twin Peaks these days? Peter Payne from J-List was tweeting about attending a Twin Peaks convention in Washington state just today or maybe yesterday.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:42 am 

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this. Yeah, the Slayers script is super fun. There's some really cute gags and surprisingly risque stuff (like PG13 risque) in the game, as well as a ton of crazy slang. Ah, PC98. :D

And now I'm jealous and want to go to the Twin Peaks convention. I bet they serve coffee and pie there... Too bad I'm in Texas and not DC.

I dunno why I used that reference in the Minerva script, really. That scene just always stuck with me. If you haven't watched the scene in question (or Twin Peaks) I'd highly recommend both.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I was lamenting the fact that the west coast is so damn far away from the east cost since they get all the cool conventions, but I'm probably going to Comiccon in Montreal next month. That should be cool maybe. Peter Payne posted this rap about Twin Peaks on Twitter. I don't know if it's funny but you might enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IZS2QddAY I had to laugh at the line "THATS RIGHT I PUT A GHOST BUSTERS REFERENCE IN A SONG ABOUT TWIN PEAKS!" I'll have to try watching it sometime. Glad you are liking Slayers btw.

Also, awesome to see the script insertion for PM! I wasn't expecting a main news post on this again so soon. Some good momentum is starting to pick up.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB