Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Perhaps the best NES RPG made
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:04 am 

I think a lot of people tend to avoid going back towards NES games especially if you were born after that generation like me. I always thought about trying this game out for quite a long time until I finally took the plunge and I must say, it is really an excellent game with probably the best graphics of any NES RPG. It reminds me a lot of Langrisser for the SNES. Instead of autonomous characters like Shining Force, you instead have a small party with every character. It was definitely ahead of its time. The translation was also well done and Bongo did a good job getting this game ready for English speakers.

Post subject: Re: Perhaps the best NES RPG made
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:20 am 

I really liked Just Breed yes, and its true the translation and hacking work were superb for it.
Still I don't like squad based SRPGs like Langrisser and it as opposed to Shining Force of Fire Emblem.
Regardless JB is one of those lost gems for sure, glad it was dug out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:35 pm 

Well I guess with Langrisser for the SNES the characters that are in your commander's unit are throw away characters that will often die. In Just Breed, the characters in your commander's unit are full fledged characters that can have their own magic, equipment etc. I wasn't too high on Langrisser originally, but I've played a little more and it is actually quite fun and its supposed to have quite a few different paths (Light, Imperial, Independent, Dark etc.) so it has a lot of replay value.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:48 pm 

Yeah you're right Ultpaladin.
I really don't like the idea of disposable characters, although I can agree with paths being varied,
I never got the hang of Langrisser...maybe the Saturn games are the real deal or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 am 
Site Admin

I've just finished this game a little earlier today. It took me about a week to finish and man am I ever glad that I finally got around to trying it myself! Just Breed is indeed a rare gem! What a nice game it was! This is definitely one of those games that I can see myself replaying over and over again. The secret of how to get the Boss Mark was quite awesome, heh! :D

The battle system was also quite unique. It was similar to Der Langrisser, but not really the same. In DL, you hire expandable units which don't contribute to the story in anyway. They're just there for the bloodshed. Where as in Just Breed, the units are actual characters with names and dialogue. One annoying thing in DL is if you let a general reach 0 HP, they'll withdraw, but you'll lose his or her troopers too, also like in JB. Which doesn't sound bad except for the fact that if they retreat from battle even once, they'll have terrible fates at the end of the game such as them dying. So if you wanted a good ending like I did, you had to make sure that they never fell in combat. By the way, I went Imperial and managed to save Sonya. It's better to defeat Jessica before Bozer for a couple of reasons, but I won't really get into that since this is a thread about Just Breed. ;)

It was also relaxing to know in Just Breed that the characters who reach 0 HP in battle don't actually die. They withdraw and can be brought back either by a doctor in a town or by using an item or spell. The Fire Emblem games were a bit stressing since you had to keep everyone safe at all times. If a character was defeated in combat, you could not use them for the rest of the game which really sucked. FEDA had a similar problem. If you lose a character, you had to go on those darn rescue missions which are Chaos based. This was annoying for players who wanted a Law Emblem such as myself. Shining Force was a little more lax like JB. You could revive fallen allies at a priest in town. As for Bahamut Lagoon, you only lost chararcters for good if you let a whole party get defeated. A party has four characters and they get revived automatically at the end of the battle only if at least one of them is still alive. The computer controled dragons also die for good if they fall in combat which is bad to say the least...

Overall, this was an excellant game and thee best NES RPG in my opinion. For the best emulator, I would recommend Nestopia. What a great ending it had! Everyone made it out alright and everything went back to how it was before the monsters attacked. I wish that all games had such nice endings. I hate having that bitter taste in my mouth at the end of most RPGs when someone gets killed in a stupid and unbelievable way. Lucky, that wasen't the case with Just Breed, woo! Another thing that I found really cool about this game is that the main charatcer rocks! He's the guard captain and the town priestess, Firis, is his girlfriend. And he's also the most popular guy in town! At the start of the game they're both eighteen and nineteen at the end (since the whole adventure took a year). :)

Also, if anyone wants to know what all the spells do, are looking for how to find the all the secrets, are in need of a walkthrough or just want to see what the characters look like, just look here: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/nes/justbreed/
Whew, sorry for the long post, I guess I just had a lot to say about how awesome this game was. I'm sure glad that it got translated! :mrgreen:

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 pm 

Yes a fine game indeed, I should finish it as well when I can. I'd say its among the best NES RPGs (Final Fantasy 3 also comes to mind IMHO).
But speaking strictly of SRPGs, that's probably true I guess, not that the NES had many in the first place.

I agree with you Recca, that of the ones you cited, Fire Emblem is the most high maintenance of all, but it depends a lot on your style of play in the end (even when I'm playing Shinng Force III for example I refuse to lose characters, I Egress and start over when I do because I consider losing a character a tactical misjudgement on my part, same for Feda (emblem maintenance is not that hard, I played through the game several times and could follow the two main paths no problem during different playthroughs).
Oh and not to tot my own horn but get my emblem diagram if you would like more help understanding how they work haha.

As I recall Just Breed is the last Enix game to grace the NES, so I guess that helps say something about its quality; you should thank Bongo' for bringing this gem out of obscurity, I remember getting the patch when Stealth Trans was still solo, quite some time ago, and I never regretted it, and thanks for digging up these informative links Recca, they should make my next JB playthrough smoother.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:33 am 
Site Admin

You fellows are gonna fool around and get me off task! Some of you know how much I enjoy strategy RPGs, and I love NES games, to boot, and need to get around to playing this one.

Anyway, one of the old timers from the late 90s, Shih Tzu, wrote the story for this game, for Bongo`. If you are still around, Shih Tzu, drop by and say howdy! He was always a pleasant, positive presence on the old time translation message boards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:04 am 

Although I'll probably get kicked by some Slayer's fan, you could always take a break from your other game writing and play this game Wildbill, especially if you like strategy RPGs. This game perhaps more than any other NES game holds up well under the test of time.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 am 

I agree with Ultpaladin, there won't be any lynching if you take a break to enjoy a game of your liking, Wildbill, I doubt that it would throw anything significantly off schedule. Remember what you told me once, it should be about the fun and the games, and to that I add, not always necessarily our projects all the time.
(heck I've been playing Mega Man Starforce 3 - Red Joker for the DS, completely unrelated with our projects and I'm pretty sure no one is going to kill me over it right now).

By the way I found a few typos on said game...LOL looks like I'm still sharp.
So go ahead and enjoy JB, I'm sure there will be no more eloquent thanks to Bongo' and Shih Tzu's efforts than you playing and enjoying the game they brought overseas with their efforts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm 

Hi, I love this game and I want to translate it to my language.
You guys could help me with some information?

Is there something I need to worry about?
I want to translate based on the english version.

Thanks.....