Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nintendo Power
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:28 am 

A backup for whoever's curious.

Attachments:
nplostmission.jpg
nplostmission.jpg [ 189.33 KiB | Viewed 8394 times ]

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:04 am 
Site Admin

Sherkel wrote:
Yep, the description of the ice age chapter is correct. As for cosmetics and music, I don’t care about those, just the story. However, everything about the game is fine with me. The encounter rate seems more frequent in dungeons than the overworld. I have no problem with that either. I’m not testing much magic and special feature. I just want to get a complete translation and the best menus possible.

I really like this game.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Here's a picture of the four main characters that I've found in the game's manual on a Japanese website (sara-net.jp):
Attachment:
Shinseiki Odysselya characters.jpg
Shinseiki Odysselya characters.jpg [ 116.32 KiB | Viewed 8325 times ]

And here's some links to a review of this game (by the same person):
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/06/game-26-shinseiki-odysselya-review.html
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/06/game-26-shinseiki-odysselya.html
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/06/game-26-shinseiki-odysselya-part-2.html

And of course, an image of the four main characters from the second title can be found on the game's front cover art here:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/581864-shinseiki-odysselya-2/images/121405

You can really find out a lot more information about these games if you search for them using their original Japanese name. In this case, this game is called 神聖紀オデッセリア (Shinseiki Odysselya). I used the same method for finding the manual picture of the four characters from Power of the Hired (man, a lot of games seem to have four main charatcers). You can all give this a try. Just look at Wikipedia for any game's name in Japanese.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

I COULD actually recreate that Lost Mission title screen for our release, but I think everyone would agree that name is best left dead and buried. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
I COULD actually recreate that Lost Mission title screen for our release, but I think everyone would agree that name is best left dead and buried. :)
It is rather like the Paladin's Quest-II decision, yep.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Sherkel wrote:
The dark-haired lady is the heroine. She is a mystery, even to herself. The entire game is a journey of puzzles for her to solve (not like Shiji!) along a twisted path of self-discovery, as well as confrontations with deadly enemies and double-dealers at every turn. You name her, so the generic Japanese name is irrelevant.

The older gentleman is Ezen. As the game progresses, he pops into the picture from time-to-time. Gradually, the player will discover that Ezen isn't who you thought he was, or is he?

The blonde is Yash. She possesses a different identity in a certain corner of the world. Yash is all-woman, feisty and volatile, and occasionally she is tempted to to give into her physical "urges".

Roth the redhead is descended (reincarnated?) from an ancient civilization. He assumes different forms and relationships, depending on the time in history where mysterious powers have transported him recently.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:49 am 
Site Admin

I wonder why these companies often choose to hire different artists for the game and manual artwork? Just take a look at this screenshot from the game of the four main characters below and compare them to how different they appear in the manual:
Attachment:
Shinseiki Odysselya.jpg
Shinseiki Odysselya.jpg [ 104.37 KiB | Viewed 8287 times ]

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Here's a picture of the four main characters that I've found in the game's manual on a Japanese website (sara-net.jp):
Attachment:
Shinseiki Odysselya characters.jpg

And here's some links to a review of this game (by the same person):
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/06/game-26-shinseiki-odysselya-review.html
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/06/game-26-shinseiki-odysselya.html
https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/06/game-26-shinseiki-odysselya-part-2.html

And of course, an image of the four main characters from the second title can be found on the game's front cover art here:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/581864-shinseiki-odysselya-2/images/121405

You can really find out a lot more information about these games if you search for them using their original Japanese name. In this case, this game is called 神聖紀オデッセリア (Shinseiki Odysselya). I used the same method for finding the manual picture of the four characters from Power of the Hired (man, a lot of games seem to have four main charatcers). You can all give this a try. Just look at Wikipedia for any game's name in Japanese.
I found the superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com post by Kurisu very helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't see these until I had the story 95% translated and written. So, based on what I understood after I translated the final string in Block19, I went back and tweaked a few places, all the way back to Block01.

Then, I read Kurisu's interpretation of the story, from his playing the game in Japanese and obviously having a much better command of the language than I. This comment in his blog was all-revealing:

"So there's obviously a lot more to the story than the outline I gave here -- at times I had a hard time following it, partly because it's in all hiragana and I'm sometimes too lazy to look up words I don't know. But there may have been some moderate incoherence to the plot itself. Overall it was pretty good, though. I think this has possibly the most dialogue of any of the games I've played up to this point[...]"

There! A fairly adept bi-lingualist also had trouble untangling the story. This may be why the Nintendo translation was called "bad", but I believe one of the reasons the commercial product was scrapped also has to do with the many R-Rated scenes and graphics in the game. I, of course, portrayed all of those accurately, so any prudes out there, be forewarned!

While my first draft English script contained a heavy sense of mystery, I clarified meanings of previous events as I plunged deeper into the tale. Frequently, I backtracked and rewrote those earlier scenes more cogently. Re-translations assisted in this process. Often, I would thump my head and exclaim, "Gee, why didn't I glean that possible reading the first time!?" Hindsight sometimes clears muddled visions flawlessly. Nevertheless, even my best readings that fit the story flow well relentlessly conveyed an air of mystery throughout. I find this to be a big factor in the game's charm, for indeed, this is one of the best games I have ever played (read: story).

The main character is female (the heroine). Her confusion about who she is, where she came from, and what her purpose is pervades most of the saga - to the point I would call that issue the main central metaphor. A close second is the history of her primary traveling companion and protector, but questions about the protector get answered fairly early in the game. The key factors that muddle the game are time travel, reincarnation, immortal beings, and the fact that some characters change names and appearances to suit the writer's plot in different times and places in the tale.

Finally, the long ending sets the tone for Odysselya-II perfectly. I now know where the main heroine came from and what her purpose was. I also know her role in Odysselya-II because I have already translated and written the sequel. With all of the "Benedict Arnold" type characters in Odysselya-I's story, only the heroine and a handful of others remain resolute to the cause of righteousness. After all, these are tales of a sacred age!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:52 am 

Pleasure to read back up on this thread. :)

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:24 am 
Site Admin

Sherkel wrote:
Pleasure to read back up on this thread. :)
We'll, get these out one of these days. I'm traveling right now and also doing DQ-XI on handheld Switch when I get a moment. I wish a "certain someone" would fix a handful of crash points in #1. It's probably just a few fairly uncomplicated errors in a some rather mundane routines, plus a few short undumped strings that would be fairly simple to load into the insertion program.