Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nintendo Power
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:33 pm 

I remember seeing this game in Nintendo Power as a kid. It used to be called Lost Mission and from this picture in Nintendo Power, it looks like they did some translation work. I wonder if there was ever a prototype around.

http://www.kidfenris.com/nplostmission.jpg

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post subject: Re: Nintendo Power
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
I remember seeing this game in Nintendo Power as a kid. It used to be called Lost Mission and from this picture in Nintendo Power, it looks like they did some translation work. I wonder if there was ever a prototype around.

I have researched that prototype and come to the same conclusion as I did concerning Dragon Warrior V's prototype, produced by NoA in Redmond, Washington. NoA might have done one, but it's fate appears to be unknown. One of the reasons the project was dumped may have been due to the fact that the commercial version of the story was poorly written. Well, defunct NoA, all I can say is that you got what you paid for.

When Filler has a chance to translate the all-Kana script of O-I, I'm sure we'll have the wherewithal to do a nice story. As for O-II, I've written about 12% of that game's story already. It's not quick or easy, but the Kanji-powered script in O-II clears up most of the fuzziness in the O-II story.

The only part of O-I written using Kanji is the Intro. I have a polished version of that. Here it is...

Spoiler! :
Sacred Kingdom Odysselya
In the beginning of the ages, a supreme being created three guardians and granted specific roles to each.
Three worlds ensued, constantly in conflict between those who stood between light and darkness, struggling for dominance from that beginning...
Following the first great battles...
Peaceful days did not last long.
The three guardian deities on the ground remained ambitious and soon collided with the designs of the heavenly kingdom, led by an emperor who served under the supreme being.
A long fight ensued for one thousand years plus a hundred days.
Following their defeat, the three guardians - with their powers intact - were sealed and confined within the ground realms of Earth.
The fate of mankind surged forward without the guardians' influence...

The people who lived in the beginning age called their guardian "Titano".
And from that beginning, they knew Titano's resurrection was inevitable.
The forces behind Titano's revival are set to begin their work...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:59 am 

Sumimasen, Wildbill-sama, but...

Spoiler! :
...you might wish to know that in the second-to-last line you have "beginning" misspelled as "beginioing". 私の意志は奉仕することです。

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Sumimasen, Wildbill-sama, but...

Spoiler! :
...you might wish to know that in the second-to-last line you have "beginning" misspelled as "beginioing". 私の意志は奉仕することです。
(wildbill adds one more name to the future test list!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:10 am 

Wildbill wrote:
One of the reasons the project was dumped may have been due to the fact that the commercial version of the story was poorly written. Well, defunct NoA, all I can say is that you got what you paid for.

Sorry I have to say but this seems a little needlessly spiteful. I don't see how it's really NoA's fault for a bad third-party translation (other than their usual "quality standards" censorship, for which I assume that them mentioning it is going beyond just that.)
It is as possible Vic Tokai maybe didn't give as much of a budget to the localization. Looking at their release history, it was kind of near the end of when they were publishing 16-bit games outside Japan. (their one later US SNES game, Shien's Revenge, seemed to have gone from rare, to common when reportedly some old stock was found, to rare again)
Their later few FC/NES games just got dumped when they presumably no longer cared for the market (including cutting one RPG for both of its intended Japanese and US releases, as well as the third Golgo 13 game which looks like it would've been a pretty decent game had it been released, thankfully the English version was found.)
Apparently one Mega Drive game dev was so angry at the company for cutting his budget he hid an animation of the characters shooting up a SFC or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 am 

ultpaladin wrote:

This might sound like an odd question, but what does the word "muzak" in that scan mean?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 am 
Site Admin

Google (or wikipedia in this case) is your friend ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 am 

Draken wrote:
Google (or wikipedia in this case) is your friend ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak

That definitely helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:13 am 
Site Admin

I'm guessing they didn't like the music very much :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 pm 

Draken wrote:
I'm guessing they didn't like the music very much :(

Yeah. O_O