Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hints/tips on Hiouden: Mamonotachi to no Chikai?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:45 am 

Hi, I am down to my last dozen or so rpgs/srpgs (officially released and fan translated) and this is one of them. Any hints on how to go about this game? The interference looks a little confusing but I can not find a FAQ even on the basics of the game.

(I am also looking into starting either Fire Emblem 4 or Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, two more that are part of the final 12).

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hints/tips on Hiouden: Mamonotachi to no Chikai?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:11 pm 

what are these 12 games?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm 

The 12 officially released or fan translated snes rpgs (includes strategy rpgs and action rpgs) I have not beaten are:

Chaos Seed - Sorry DD! I didn't really get it but I wanted to. Overwhelming game IMO.
Der Langrisser - I don't really get the game despite my general love of srpgs
Dungeon Master - uh.....
Eye of the Beholder - tried a few times, could not get into it
Fire Emblem 4 - never played but recently finished Fire Emblem 3 Book 1 and 2 and need a break from FE.
Hiouden: Mamonotachi to no Chikai - Already mentioned! Tried it once and the inference was just...I did not get it.
Inindo: Way of the Ninja - Seems very complex as most Koei games tend to be.
Jutei Senki - A sprg with all generics, could not get into it
Might and Magic II - strikes me as incredibly unforgiving, overwhelming and intimidating as well as out dated.
Might and Magic III - strikes me as incredibly unforgiving, overwhelming and intimidating as well as out dated.
Obitus - I always ran out of something when attempting this, maybe it was food
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - Want to try this but seems quite complex and a little intimidating
Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom - strikes me as incredibly unforgiving, overwhelming, kind of mean (aha) and intimidating as well as out dated.
(maybe there are other Wizardry games I am forgetting which would make it more than 12)
(I guess you could also consider the 3 Koei Romancing games and Gemfire as srpgs but I always thought of them more as simulation and 4 games I was not really interested in trying but if considered srpgs would push the total to 16).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:20 pm 

Are ames like Clock Tower and Famicon Detective Club in your list?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:37 pm 

umegamer wrote:
Are ames like Clock Tower and Famicon Detective Club in your list?

I have not played them but the first is more like a horror/survival point and click adventure game and the second is more of a read only, without any battles and thus, would not count as rpgs, no? But any way, have you played Hiouden: Mamonotachi to no Chikai?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm 

yes, but gave up. unintuitive UI. no idea what the h i was supposed to be doing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm 

That is exactly why I gave up too. Have you played any of those other games and beaten them and can offer tips? For me Might and Magic or Wizardry seem like tall orders. I tried to get into Dungeon Master, again, last night, but it feels like slog with unintuitive controls.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:27 pm 

Chaos Seed - on the back burner. trying to get into it. but the complexity is overwhelming.

Der Langrisser - beaten. pretty straightforward srpg with multiple paths.

Dungeon Master - nvr bothered.

Eye of the Beholder - beat the PC version. its an early dungean crawler without an auto-map, so good luck if you're playing without external maps.

Fire Emblem 4 - patch incomplete? waiting for a proper patch.

Inindo: Way of the Ninja - beaten. straightforward rpg. just be aware of the time limit.

Jutei Senki - beaten. below average uninspiring srpg. just grind through.

Might and Magic II - beat the genesis version. the entire game involves piecing together a secret code which needs to be used at the end.
you can just check a FAQ if you want to cheat. initial parts of the game can be brutal due to the sheer number of enemies the game will throw at you in a single encounter. but once you level up and get group spells like starburst, you can easily make short work of them.
overall, it's a game that was good for its time, but doesnt really hold up to this day.

Might and Magic III - played and beaten the PC version, which i would recommend over this version.
this and mm4/5 (world of xeen) are the best games in the series IMO.

Obitus - never played.

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - never played.

Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom - never played.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 pm 

umegamer wrote:
Chaos Seed - on the back burner. trying to get into it. but the complexity is overwhelming.

Eye of the Beholder - beat the PC version. its an early dungean crawler without an auto-map, so good luck if you're playing without external maps.

Inindo: Way of the Ninja - beaten. straightforward rpg. just be aware of the time limit.

Might and Magic II - beat the genesis version. the entire game involves piecing together a secret code which needs to be used at the end.
you can just check a FAQ if you want to cheat. initial parts of the game can be brutal due to the sheer number of enemies the game will throw at you in a single encounter. but once you level up and get group spells like starburst, you can easily make short work of them.
overall, it's a game that was good for its time, but doesnt really hold up to this day.

Might and Magic III - played and beaten the PC version, which i would recommend over this version.

Obitus - never played.

(edit: Made it to map 4 or stage 4 in Hiouden but still not totally sure what the h-e-double hockey sticks I am doing!)

Might and magic 2 and 3 for the snes stike me as complicated though, is there a , well, kind of dummies guide to the game you can recommend, maybe one on gamefaqs that is especially easy to digest and use? Also, since I have never played is there automapping in MandM?

Chaos seed seems super complicated to me, or at least on first glance... and is, as you said, overwhelming.

Is Inindo really straightforward? I thought it offered a ton of choices and was quite open ended from the little I played of it!

Der Langrisser - seems like one of the least straightforward srpgs of the 16 bit era...are there hints you can offer to get off to a good start on this one? Maybe less obvious hints.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:40 am 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
umegamer wrote:

Obitus - never played.

(edit: Made it to map 4 or stage 4 in Hiouden but still not totally sure what the h-e-double hockey sticks I am doing!)

Might and magic 2 and 3 for the snes stike me as complicated though, is there a , well, kind of dummies guide to the game you can recommend, maybe one on gamefaqs that is especially easy to digest and use? Also, since I have never played is there automapping in MandM?

Chaos seed seems super complicated to me, or at least on first glance... and is, as you said, overwhelming.

Is Inindo really straightforward? I thought it offered a ton of choices and was quite open ended from the little I played of it!

Der Langrisser - seems like one of the least straightforward srpgs of the 16 bit era...are there hints you can offer to get off to a good start on this one? Maybe less obvious hints.

mm2/3 - been a while since i played, can't remember which guide i used. but try http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm2/places.shtml maybe? that's for the pc ver, but should still be applicable. and yes, automapping exists, but you need to use a spell (wizard's eye). you need to be aware that the mm games are not jprgs, so a different mindset is required. Many of the quests are optional. if you want to bruteforce your way through, grind/level up your team, learn all the special walkthough mountains/forest/water etc skills, then just start walking through every square on the map. you'll be able talk to everyone, attempt every quest, find every item this way.

inindo - you just walk around talking to lords and completing quests. your level/reputation affects the willingness of people willing to talk to / partner with you. i used the faqs on gamefaqs to help beat the game.

der langrisser - much less complicated then the super robot wars series in terms of branching. seriously, not sure where the complexity lies.