Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Odysselya-II Translation Progress
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 am 
Site Admin

We now have a V0.99 beta completely playable in English crash-free through chapter 95 into the final 96.

All dumped files are 100% translated and 99% first draft polished.

The game features world history during three eras (500 B. C., 64 A. D, and 1192 A. D.), mixed with time travel for selected party characters. Recorded historical events are interwoven with fantasy elements, including battles with demonic entities from a mythological underworld ruled by Hades.

In my book, this is a top-notch turn-based RPG that for some reason has remained obscure. Only Bongo', Taskforce (fonts), and I have worked on this game. Bongo` and I did the translation work. Due to heavy Kanji script, we were able to handle 99% of it with confidence. During the second pass, I'll iron out the few remaining ambiguities.

I will now turn my attention to getting Aretha-I released as soon as ready.

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Odysselya-II Translation Progress
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:27 pm 

Wow, you guys are amazing! That game looks super cool.

I think I read somewhere, and please correct me if I am wrong, that you wanted to release both Aretha 1 and 2 basically at the same time, is that still a plan? or just going to release them when they are ready regardless?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:

I think I read somewhere, and please correct me if I am wrong, that you wanted to release both Aretha 1 and 2 basically at the same time, is that still a plan? or just going to release them when they are ready regardless?
For the longest time, what you said was our stated intention. We changed it late last year. We'll release in the order we can get projects ready.

The next release could be Aretha-II, but it will more likely be one of the other V0.99s, probably the one that needs the least amount of graphics conversions.

I will be taking my time with the O-II ending, for I have quite a bit to run down with Aretha-I. I am finally at a point where I can concentrate, whereas with O-II, I could make productive headway whether I had five minutes or five hours of distraction-free time available these past few summer months.

I know of only three remaining graphics hacks needed on O-II, the back-screen moving Japanese script in the chambers of name-changing wizards, on-screen battle Kanji that pops up routinely, and one tiny portion of the title screen. I believe I will propose keeping the spelling "Odysselya". The translation is "Odyssea" (not "Odyssey" - the game isn't Homeric, it's more "Orpheus in the Underworld" or "Dantes Inferno").

But I do want to change the smaller-script Japanese at the top of the title page to read "Sacred Age". I'm hoping a special "somebody" can assist us with that!

BTW, a chunk of the game takes place in Paris, France in 1192 A. D. (and the French Alps). Until I researched, I didn't know that King Richard-I of England (the Lionheart) "owned" half of France. That's probably why King Philip-II of France and Richard didn't get along so well in the Port of Acre, Holy Land, during 1192 A. D. in the middle of the 3rd Crusade, trying to dislodge the infidels from Jerusalem! King Philip-II supported Pope Celestine III in Rome. King Richard? Not so much. Amazing game! Chapters take place worldwide in all of the continents except Antarctica, and also on a few mythical islands.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
DoubleDvideogames wrote:

For the longest time, what you said was our stated intention. We changed it late last year. We'll release in the order we can get projects ready.

The next release could be Aretha-II, but it will more likely be one of the other V0.99s, probably the one that needs the least amount of graphics conversions.

I will be taking my time with the O-II ending, for I have quite a bit to run down with Aretha-I. I am finally at a point where I can concentrate, whereas with O-II, I could make productive headway whether I had five minutes or five hours of distraction-free time available these past few summer months.

I know of only three remaining graphics hacks needed on O-II, the back-screen moving Japanese script in the chambers of name-changing wizards, on-screen battle Kanji that pops up routinely, and one tiny portion of the title screen. I believe I will propose keeping the spelling "Odysselya". The translation is "Odyssea" (not "Odyssey" - the game isn't Homeric, it's more "Orpheus in the Underworld" or "Dantes Inferno").

But I do want to change the smaller-script Japanese at the top of the title page to read "Sacred Age". I'm hoping a special "somebody" can assist us with that!

BTW, a chunk of the game takes place in Paris, France in 1192 A. D. (and the French Alps). Until I researched, I didn't know that King Richard-I of England (the Lionheart) "owned" half of France. That's probably why King Philip-II of France and Richard didn't get along so well in the Port of Acre, Holy Land, during 1192 A. D. in the middle of the 3rd Crusade, trying to dislodge the infidels from Jerusalem! King Philip-II supported Pope Celestine III in Rome. King Richard? Not so much. Amazing game! Chapters take place worldwide in all of the continents except Antarctica, and also on a few mythical islands.

Gosh, my answer didn't take... To DoubleDvideogames: We will release Aretha-I soon. The following release will probably NOT be Aretha-II. From now on, we will release them in the order that we finish them, I expect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:06 am 
Site Admin

*Enter fanfare trumpet!* I have beaten Odysselya-II... in English!

Momentarily, I'm starting my third re-write of the ending.

No hangs inside the Cocytus caverns in the final chapter or the ending itself, but I do have a glitch in some of the final boss's attack cries - shouldn't be hard to trace. And the credits are displaying oodles of jumbled "ghost" script. It's all readable, but that feature will assuredly require reassembly.

One curious observation... After "The End" displays on the final screen for a period of time, the game automatically restarts. I have seen this before in some games, but it's very unusual to me. I recall one game that did this years ago. In the second play, you got to keep some items and benefits from the first play. I'm not sure if O-II is designed this way. I imagine we'll learn more about the secrets in this game down the road.

One thing is for certain. A fair number of players scattered around are REALLY gonna love this RPG!

For me, if I was playing an official English version, it's one of those rare games that I would IMMEDIATELY play back-to-back. The reason for this impulse is several-fold. For one, the characters can wield all of the weapons, but they must pick one at the start and stick with it because both weapons and players level up in this game. That means if you throw down a level 20 whip after several chapters and pick up a wand, your attack will be much weaker as you build levels from scratch in the new weapon and lag behind the other fighters in potency throughout the rest of the game.

So, on my second pass, as they emerge, I will choose totally different weapons for the characters. Also, the strongest weapons in the game, using special materials and items intended just for fusing purposes, may be fabricated in the weapons shops. Some of the fusible materials are a challenge to root out of dungeons. If you expend great effort searching everywhere for them, even inside hidden passages through walls and out of sight behind buildings and such, you don't have to grind in this game, hardly at all.

The fun of this is that the sprites change, displaying the weapon type you choose with great clarity and animation!

Finally, the treasure hunter feature in O-II is new to me. After you clear a dungeon, sometimes a treasure hunter will pop up unexpectedly at an inn and offer to go back to that dungeon - for a nominal fee - and search for treasures you missed. I really like that feature, especially if the hunter turns up Scrap Iron or a Dragon Bone, fusible materials that can really increase the power of your equipped weapon type in a hurry!

Yep, super game!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm 

Wildbill wrote:

No hangs inside the Cocytus caverns in the final chapter or the ending itself, but I do have a glitch in some of the final boss's attack cries - shouldn't be hard to trace. And the credits are displaying oodles of jumbled "ghost" script. It's all readable, but that feature will assuredly require reassembly.

One curious observation... After "The End" displays on the final screen for a period of time, the game automatically restarts. I have seen this before in some games, but it's very unusual to me. I recall one game that did this years ago. In the second play, you got to keep some items and benefits from the first play. I'm not sure if O-II is designed this way. I imagine we'll learn more about the secrets in this game down the road.

One thing is for certain. A fair number of players scattered around are REALLY gonna love this RPG!

For me, if I was playing an official English version, it's one of those rare games that I would IMMEDIATELY play back-to-back. The reason for this impulse is several-fold. For one, the characters can wield all of the weapons, but they must pick one at the start and stick with it because both weapons and players level up in this game. That means if you throw down a level 20 whip after several chapters and pick up a wand, your attack will be much weaker as you build levels from scratch in the new weapon and lag behind the other fighters in potency throughout the rest of the game.

So, on my second pass, as they emerge, I will choose totally different weapons for the characters. Also, the strongest weapons in the game, using special materials and items intended just for fusing purposes, may be fabricated in the weapons shops. Some of the fusible materials are a challenge to root out of dungeons. If you expend great effort searching everywhere for them, even inside hidden passages through walls and out of sight behind buildings and such, you don't have to grind in this game, hardly at all.

The fun of this is that the sprites change, displaying the weapon type you choose with great clarity and animation!

Finally, the treasure hunter feature in O-II is new to me. After you clear a dungeon, sometimes a treasure hunter will pop up unexpectedly at an inn and offer to go back to that dungeon - for a nominal fee - and search for treasures you missed. I really like that feature, especially if the hunter turns up Scrap Iron or a Dragon Bone, fusible materials that can really increase the power of your equipped weapon type in a hurry!

Yep, super game!

Hi Wildbill!
I didn't know this game, but your detailed description of the game makes me really want to play.
I would look forward to the release of the translated game.
Just seeing these few captures will feel the perfection of your Team's translation.
Congratulations to all of you.
Best regards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

4ph wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Yep, super game!

Hi Wildbill!
I didn't know this game, but your detailed description of the game makes me really want to play.
I would look forward to the release of the translated game.
Just seeing these few captures will feel the perfection of your Team's translation.
Congratulations to all of you.
Best regards.
I appreciate the kind words, "mon amie"! If you get a spare moment and are bored for something to do, I could really use some assistance getting the three small Kanji at the top of the title page to read "Sacred Age". In so many of our released patches, the first thing players see that sets the tone is some of your most excellent graphic conversions. But if you're fairly busy these days, no problem. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

To give a bit more of a taste, the game presents "era" characters that come and go in 500 B. C., 64 A. D., and 1192 A. D., but two of the main characters appear in the story during all of the eras.

One is the hero, a child at the start who could have been the highest ranked royalty in the (soon to be occupied) Kingdom of Zion (the Japanese author's chosen name for Judea). Also, due to his father's identity, the hero could have even pressed a rightful claim to become the Emperor of a nearby major power that conquered the Levant around 500 B. C. (post-Babylonian period). His default name is Argo (not associated with Jason and the Argonauts), but after escaping a murder plot in Zion aboard a fleeing ship, he is raised in Greece by strangers.

The second main character is a mysterious girl named Ilia who is traveling around in 500 B. C. with an itinerant oracle who is raising her. The hero meets this pair in old Athens, Greece, a man named Cullman that the hero hears mentioned in other ancient cities, as well. In Rome, Cullman is considered an auger. Ilia joins with the Hero when they both show up in Roman Empire later, in 64 A. D. (after both have time-traveled through separate paths).

The third main character is an enslaved Roman gladiator named Tark. He is possibly from the family line of an ancient Germanic tribe that produced the only "Barbarian" general who ever defeated a major Roman incursion attempt. (Arminius of the Cherusci tribe in the battle of Teutoburg Forest - 9 A. D.) Tark meets a Christian woman who befriends him, and soon he grows weary of Nero's arena kills in the Coliseum. For some reason, once Tark latches onto the hero, he doggedly tags along thereafter to wherever the hero wanders - whether wanted or not - even through mysterious time warp barriers buried deep inside dark, dingy dungeons!

The fourth main character is a Crusader knight named Marc from Nuremberg, Germany (the Holy Roman Empire) in 1192 A. D. During the Third Crusade, the trio meets Marc deep inside a dangerous underground passage that extends from Zion (Judea) into the Port City of Acre on the Mediterranean Sea. Later, after various seminal events, Marc joins them for good and remains on the team through the rest of the story.

Finally, Odysselya-II features the availability of optional "familiars" (monsters) as fifth members of the party. The final one is Jinn, recruited after the quartet climbs a mysterious tower in 1192 Cairo, Egypt, near the Muayyad Palace of Sultan Saladin's Sunni Ayyubid Caliphate. Jinn lives inside an oil lamp. When Argo and the group get their hands on the lamp, Jinn emerges and grants the hero three wishes. The first wish results in Jinn remaining available to the team throughout the game. Familiars are independent. They use their skills randomly and can grow quite strong. When they will level up remains a mystery to me, but some of them do and become quite strong and useful!

What an incredible story I was fortunately able to extract from the Japanese!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm 

my gosh, you guys are a machine! just wanted to drop by and thank you for the amazing work you're doing. looks like my weekend is going to be full of aretha goodness.

also, I had never even heard of this odyssey game, and it looks amazing. man you guys dig deep!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:39 pm 

Wildbill wrote:

Only a fair number? and scattered around? Does that have some weird quirks that some players would not like?

Wildbill wrote:

because both weapons and players level up in this game. That means if you throw down a level 20 whip after several chapters and pick up a wand, your attack will be much weaker as you build levels from scratch in the new weapon and lag behind the other fighters in potency throughout the rest of the game.

It has been ages since I have played, but didn't Suikoden 1 and 2 do that? The weapons level up?