Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Video Demo of Sacred Age Odysselya-II V0.10 English
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Translation work is proceeding...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlPlEMBprcI

Post subject: Re: Video Demo of Sacred Age Odysselya-II V0.10 English
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:25 am 
Site Admin

tcaud wrote:
Interesting... I never knew such a game existed, that dealt with the Persian conquest.

Why Zion Kingdom instead of Israel or Judah?
"Zion" (シオン) is a direct Katakana transliteration. Game play begins immediately prior to the famous Battle of
Spoiler! :
Marathon.

Following a naval engagement associated with that invasion attempt, the Prince of Zion lands in the Port of Acre in the Levant. This is where I'm working now, in Chapter 9 of 82. The year is 493 B. C. As I disembark from my captured Persian naval vessel, one of the greeters in the Port of Acre tells me this:

_Text_000081_:
; [LowerBox]ここは昔、シオン王国、地中海交易の中心でした。[Key][BoxHide]
[LowerBox]This is the moribund Kingdom of Zion,[newl]
once the center of Mediterranean trade.[Key][BoxHide]

I'm having better success putting the story together than I was expecting - sort of gotten caught up in it, as it were.

Earlier, I even found I could walk to ancient Rome in Chapter 8, when it just a sleepy county village on the Tiber. This was just before Sparta and others came to the common defense of the Athenians, as Darius' troops landed on Grecian shores in the Aegean Sea. In Rome, I found a very unique item called an
Spoiler! :
エネミーポインタ (Enemy Pointer)
that lets me
Spoiler! :
敵の残りHPが見える (see enemies' HP).
Ritchie never mentioned anything about visiting ancient Rome in his walkthrough. I can see we'll have fun digging the secrets out of this game, too!

I could still use a much faster translator to get after the rest of O-II's script. Takes me forever, but Bongo` and I have already translated 95 percent of the Misc files, and I've done 19 of 77 script files.

About the biggest issue we're having right now is finding a stable font. The text support in this game is a bit "snakey". I hope our favorite font expert isn't too busy to stick one in here for us (Hint, hint)!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:39 pm 

Ah hah, I'm playing Odysselya 1 right now and I wondered what シオン was; I thought they were replacing the historic Israelites with a fictional tribe but Zion makes a lot more sense. I often forget that Japanese bases their spellings on the original languages and not English.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm 

Interesting.... Another historical RPG, eh? Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

@kurisu - Welcome back to the realm of the living. I see Okabe-san finally brought us all to the Steins Gate world line. El Psy Kongroo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
Ah hah, I'm playing Odysselya 1 right now and I wondered what シオン was; I thought they were replacing the historic Israelites with a fictional tribe but Zion makes a lot more sense. I often forget that Japanese bases their spellings on the original languages and not English.
That's a key! I've done so many of these stories, I know I must rid my head of my own notions and ask myself, "How would a Japanese story teller view this subject?"

These writers love dipping into world cultures and mythologies and almost randomly snatching entities from any time or place and intermingling them in their overall works. Remarkably, it works, as it appears to create microcosms of enduring diverse ethnic identities.

One thing I did change, though. The 500 B. C. Persian region in the intro was named "Islamic Area". For historical timing accuracy (Zoroastrianism and the Zend-avesta formed the predominant belief system), I changed it to "Middle East". Hausen and I did that sort of thing extensively in Shiji, but in A0-II, "Zion" fit the 500 B. C. Levant.

A funny situation came up in 500 B. C. Rome that I left intact because it's zany. A man said (in an accurate translation),
Spoiler! :
"How can I possibly know about the Christian calendar? But I do. Otherwise, how do I know it's 592 B. C. in Rome!?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Interesting.... Another historical RPG, eh? Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
But quite different than Shiji because it involves time travel. I'm curious to see how that works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm 

In Odysselya 1 it's not really time travel (spoilers just for the first couple of hours of gameplay, I haven't played the full game yet:)
Spoiler! :
The main character begins in prehistory and is then transported forward to several other historical time periods, along with reincarnations of other characters. So it's not really "time travel" in the sense that people might be thinking about it.

Quote:
@kurisu - Welcome back to the realm of the living. I see Okabe-san finally brought us all to the Steins Gate world line. El Psy Kongroo.

? I guess this is a Stein's Gate reference but I'm not familiar with the series, kurisu is just the Japanese version of my real name.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:39 am 

Wildbill wrote:
A funny situation came up in 500 B. C. Rome that I left intact because it's zany. A man said (in an accurate translation),
Spoiler! :
"How can I possibly know about the Christian calendar? But I do. Otherwise, how do I know it's 592 B. C. in Rome!?"

lol, that is awesome.

Wildbill wrote:
But quite different than Shiji because it involves time travel. I'm curious to see how that works.

My three weaknesses: Time travel, history (especially ancient history), and RPGs (almost exclusively JRPGs).

kurisu wrote:
? I guess this is a Stein's Gate reference but I'm not familiar with the series, kurisu is just the Japanese version of my real name.

You are correct, sir (or madam). If you haven't played Steins;Gate (or at least watched the anime series), please allow me to recommend this to you. IMHO, it is the pinnacle of the visual novel genre. Also, it is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) time travel stories I have ever witnessed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Pictures of the second game on the front page news story replaced with shots featuring our new easier to read fonts.