Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Super Famicom RPGs blog
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 pm 

I finally found a decent game: Metal Max 2. The remake of 1 has a fan translation but 2 doesn't.

Someone mentioned Burai earlier in the thread -- I'm about to do a post on the PCE version of it. The SNES version is particularly bad because (along with the Sega CD version) it only has the first part of the game. Only the PCE had the second part ported as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 am 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
I finally found a decent game: Metal Max 2. The remake of 1 has a fan translation but 2 doesn't.
At risk of flooding the board, I just want to make a quick response. Glad to hear that Metal Max 2 came across well. I'm planning to translate the Famicom original, which you mentioned has a fan translated remake, this year. I don't know if I'll end up working on the sequel in any capacity, or if anyone is already working on it, but if I wind up enjoying the first game, I'd probably be up for translating the sequel.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 am 

I would love to see a playthrough of the Sword World games on the SNES. Would love a translation but not sure if anyone has ever looked in to them. May be a coding nightmare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 am 

In my case, a game I'd love to see translated someday would be Shin Momotarou Densetsu (I was told some time ago someone's working on it, but can't remember who. Kingmike, perhaps?). Lately I have a craving for Japanese style jrpgs after playing Momotaro, Juvei Quest and Ninjara Hoi on the NES, and the SNES Tengai Makyou Zero. There's also Kabuki Rocks on the snes (IIRC it was created by the same team of the Tengai saga), but I don't know anything about it, such as if it's a good game or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm 

filler wrote:
kurisu wrote:
At risk of flooding the board, I just want to make a quick response. Glad to hear that Metal Max 2 came across well. I'm planning to translate the Famicom original, which you mentioned has a fan translated remake, this year. I don't know if I'll end up working on the sequel in any capacity, or if anyone is already working on it, but if I wind up enjoying the first game, I'd probably be up for translating the sequel.

AGTP worked on Metal Max Returns (the remake of MM 1) and is working on MM 2 for the SFC. I do believe someone wanted to translate the DS remake, but I have no idea if there was any progress. Same goes to MM 3.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 am 

I had been off an on playing a bit of the first Metal Max (on a JP 3DS) personally and doing some (probably bad and wrong) translation for reading practice. Enjoying it but it wants to feel like an open game, though I think it may not be. Kind of enjoying drawing my own crappy MS Paint map of the game even though it will probably be really off-scale once I start to get it filled in more. :D
I had curiously looked up its script but it may not be that easy to dump. Not super hard but need more investment than the quick look I gave it.
But get one tank blown up in the course of beating the rocket boss. I won it and maybe it was okay to continue on with only one tank but needing to grind like 18k Gold just for the repair cost before I could continue on was not that fun. (it is clear that you want tanks as much as you can, only going on foot when the game requires it)

That tank system though is a bit convoluted. And those stats menus are quite a bit difficult to read (and I don't mean in reading-comprehension sense).
I did find out the hard way that one of the most important thing is the Tons is the carrying capacity of the tank. If the equipment weighs down the tank, then the tank becomes immobile and basically useless. It seems buying new engines can increase the weight limit.
SP (Scale Plates?) is basically the tank's HP. Dropping plates can allow holding more items but then you have a permanent HP drop (though maybe it's possible to buy back SP?)

filler if you translate can you keep the FLOG RACE in!? :D (the devs probably don't know how silly that one English mistake is :) )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:08 am 

kain611 wrote:
I would love to see a playthrough of the Sword World games on the SNES. Would love a translation but not sure if anyone has ever looked in to them. May be a coding nightmare.

I've tried playing those but it feels like reading skill is needed to even find your way out to where you can finally kill things. :D

If we want to discuss obscure Super Famicom RPGs I've tried to play, I tried to play Wondrous Magic before. I remember getting into a dungeon and then stuck at a giant tree. No idea where to go. But it seems like some skills charge stat points rather than simply HP or MP damage. Sounds cruel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
AGTP worked on Metal Max Returns (the remake of MM 1) and is working on MM 2 for the SFC. I do believe someone wanted to translate the DS remake, but I have no idea if there was any progress. Same goes to MM 3.
I figured someone might have staked a claim on 2. I may reach out to see if they need any translation help when the time comes, but that would be a ways off.

KingMike wrote:
filler if you translate can you keep the FLOG RACE in!? :D (the devs probably don't know how silly that one English mistake is :) )
Lol, I'll see what I can do. :D

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:24 am 

KingMike wrote:
That tank system though is a bit convoluted. And those stats menus are quite a bit difficult to read (and I don't mean in reading-comprehension sense).
I did find out the hard way that one of the most important thing is the Tons is the carrying capacity of the tank. If the equipment weighs down the tank, then the tank becomes immobile and basically useless. It seems buying new engines can increase the weight limit.
SP (Scale Plates?) is basically the tank's HP. Dropping plates can allow holding more items but then you have a permanent HP drop (though maybe it's possible to buy back SP?)

If it's like MM2, when you refill your tank the SP go up to the maximum the tank can hold, so there's no permanent HP loss.

I'll be getting to Sword World eventually but it will be some months yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:37 pm 

I've heard that Dual Orb is very hard to hack -- this is a blessed favor to the community. This game is a piece of garbage and doesn't deserve a patch or any attention at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next