Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your X-mas Loot!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Just wondering what gaming-relating gifts everyone picked up for the holidays? I got some nice gifts, but no games from Santa :(
However, I did buy myself a whole bunch of iOS goodies. Just to mention a few I got...

Dragon Quest 1
Dragon Quest 2
Dragon Quest 4
Oceanhorn
Banner Saga
Final Fantasy VI

Lots of great RPGs! Too bad I have little time to play them... Oh, well, they'll sit there on the backlog with all my other games ;)

Post subject: Re: Your X-mas Loot!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:10 am 
Site Admin

No game-related gift this year, but I'm really happy to have a working three-foot tall replica lighthouse that I plan to install at my lake house. This is my combination Christmas, wedding anniversary, and birthday gift from Sherry. All of these celebrations fall within a three day period. I can't wait to install it and light it up!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

I really thought I had resurrected this post more than once, but I guess those were some fabricated memories... Anyways, I'm here to bring it back seeing as how it's going to be Christmas here in a little under an hour.

So... What games did you pick up this year? I got myself the following for about $40 on PSN:

The Walking Dead Season 1 (been meaning to get this forever!)
Star Ocean 5 (heard it's pretty bad, but it was only $15)
FF Type-0
Shiness

I also got an iTunes gift card, so i guess I need to take a look at the sales going on there as well!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

I picked up Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for $20 during the Cyber Monday sale a while back. Who knows when I'll get time to play it. Heck, I bought Akiba's Beat the first day it came out and still haven't put it in the system. I don't expect I'll get any other gaming gifts. (And yes, I know Akiba's Beat isn't supposed to be a very good game but someday I hope to find out for myself!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

I'm trying to stay away from sales since I don't have extra spending money at the moment, but Sentai Filmworks made me an offer on some anime I couldn't refuse. I picked up the following on DVD as a gift for myself:

Strawberry Mashimaro the OVAs
He's My Master
Angelic Layer
Mezzo DSA
She, the Ulitmate Weapon (a.k.a Saishuu Heiki Kanojo)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Nice Filler. I hit up their 80% off sale too and got 9 DVD sets (since it was free shipping on $75). Just couldn't pass up 80% off a while back. First anime I've bought in a LONG while. I got...

The Ambitions of Oda Nobuna
Gate
Monster Musume - Everyday Life with Monster Girls
No Game No Life
Campione
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere Complete
Chivalry of a Failed Knight
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Blade Dance of the Elementalers

Wish I had had more, there were a few others I'd love to have grabbed like Log Horizon or Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, but I spent too much as it is. Maybe if they have it again since they're going to stop carrying DVD's soon.

Probably should have used that money on more important things but I don't buy anime often at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Nice Filler. I hit up their 80% off sale too and got 9 DVD sets (since it was free shipping on $75). Just couldn't pass up 80% off a while back. First anime I've bought in a LONG while. I got...

Gate
No Game No Life
Campione
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Wish I had had more, there were a few others I'd love to have grabbed like Log Horizon or Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, but I spent too much as it is. Maybe if they have it again since they're going to stop carrying DVD's soon.

Probably should have used that money on more important things but I don't buy anime often at all.
They're going to stop carrying DVDs? That's news to me.

Nice haul! I've only seen two of those; Monster Musume, and Gate. Gate I think I gave up on part way, but Monster Musume was funny! I would have grabbed more myself. I really wanted to snag Rozen Maiden and a couple other things. Danmachi was fun too. I haven't seen Log Horizon.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, they announced a couple of months ago when they had the first DVD sale that was 70% off that at some point in 2018 that they will stop making DVD's of their new releases and indicated (though I don't remember if they said it outright) that they won't be making more stock of current shows either soon. By 2019 they intend to be entirely Bluray only :(

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... 19/.121502

If you want something with an ending (or the closest we get to it these days), I definitely recommend you check out Dusk. Good series.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:38 pm 

taskforce wrote:

Gate
No Game No Life
Campione
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Nice. I checked into the local Australian service AnimeLab and found several of those after cursory browsing. Like: Blade Dance of the Elementalers, Black Butler (Sounds similar to Batman as a young boy), Chivalry of a Failed Knight, No Game No Life and Log Horizon to name a few.

These are really some good tips. Later on I'm going to browse through the list at the site and find more matches. But I may not exactly warm up to the anime (eg. Log Horizon, No Game No Life) that has plots about gaming worlds that the characters play in. They seem kinda like turn-offs to me. I also would avoid the shonen anime like Digimon Adventure Tri. I saw a few episodes of it at Crunchyroll and it was really flat, with no pulse. Just no 'life in it'.

So I saw just one episode of 'Dimension W', it's a sci-fi, futuristic city world-type of scenario and it was really good as a starter. So it depends on each viewer's tastes, I guess.

Heck they even have Date a Live (2013), where there was a fan-translated SFC game licensed from that anime. Hyperdimension Neptunia may be just a touch too kitsch to watch, heh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

ObiKKa wrote:
taskforce wrote:

Gate
No Game No Life
Campione
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Nice. I checked into the local Australian service AnimeLab and found several of those after cursory browsing. Like: Blade Dance of the Elementalers, Black Butler (Sounds similar to Batman as a young boy), Chivalry of a Failed Knight, No Game No Life and Log Horizon to name a few.

These are really some good tips. Later on I'm going to browse through the list at the site and find more matches. But I may not exactly warm up to the anime (eg. Log Horizon, No Game No Life) that has plots about gaming worlds that the characters play in. They seem kinda like turn-offs to me. I also would avoid the shonen anime like Digimon Adventure Tri. I saw a few episodes of it at Crunchyroll and it was really flat, with no pulse. Just no 'life in it'.

So I saw just one episode of 'Dimension W', it's a sci-fi, futuristic city world-type of scenario and it was really good as a starter. So it depends on each viewer's tastes, I guess.

Heck they even have Date a Live (2013), where there was a fan-translated SFC game licensed from that anime. Hyperdimension Neptunia may be just a touch too kitsch to watch, heh.
Them's fightin' words. Neptunia is awesome!

Are you perhaps thinking of Live a Live? Date a Live has the same character designer as Neptunia, and I believe it has some game(s) on modern systems.

My projects
RHDN Community DB