Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Re: A La Wares Post Here (for now)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:47 am 
Site Admin

With the knowledge that I'm probably just feeding a troll, would you care to point out examples of political, historical, and mathematical ignorance he has made in the past? If you're going to make accusations like this, you should use proof to back up you case. Just coming in and putting someone down isn't going to make anyone take you seriously, but if you constructively try and point out things that could be changed for the better, then you'd be doing us all a favor.

Or, is your reason for posting simply to try and start something?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:15 am 

Draken wrote:
With the knowledge that I'm probably just feeding a troll, would you care to point out examples of political, historical, and mathematical ignorance he has made in the past? If you're going to make accusations like this, you should use proof to back up you case. Just coming in and putting someone down isn't going to make anyone take you seriously, but if you constructively try and point out things that could be changed for the better, then you'd be doing us all a favor.

Or, is your reason for posting simply to try and start something?

More than trolling, I think he's posted that because of this: http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3158/#review

That review was posted a few days ago on romhacking and I frankly ignore if it's true or not. I played Daikaijuu some years ago, so I don't recall anything about right-wing political messages shoehorned in that game dialogs (not that I'd be notice them anyways. I live in Spain, so any references to the US political situation would have completely flown over my head. Not to mention I still prefer having the game available in English rather than not having it at all). The way I see it, Wildbill will forever have my gratitude for his work in finishing the translation of what is currently one of my favorite jrpgs on the snes.

Last edited by akualung on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:38 am 
Site Admin

@akualung: Yeah, I saw that "review" (Let's be honest, I wouldn't really call it a "review"). It sounded more like the author had read the twitter feed (which we have seen) and written the "review" based off of the comments made inside it. I don't really see much else in the "review" that mentions the game/characters/etc. It seems to only focus the instances of "liberal-hating" the author claims are present in the translation.

I had the same idea as you, that the comment above was probably spurred by the "review" found over there.

Honestly, though, if people have issues with our work, I REALLY wish they would come in here and post stuff. Usually we don't get many negative comments posted on our boards, but I, personally, welcome criticism when it is handled in a constructive manner. That, and it's near-impossible for us to keep up with negative comments floating around out on the web. Should I be focused on tracking down what random people dislike about a project I handle, or should I be focused on working on G.O.D.?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 am 
Site Admin

Okay, so i'm not really seeing any instances of historical, political, and mathematical ignorance yet.... All I'm seeing are issues you are having with WildBill "breaking the fourth wall", which is something he commonly does when writing a script based off of a translation. I can understand that maybe this is not your cup of tea, but it was the way he wished the story to be told, and he was the coordinator.

The game was play-tested, and issues were brought up by some play-testers. Note that at the time, Trump was not president...

In addition, "Poisnon" is the name given to the item in the ORIGINAL, Japanese script...

I'm still not sure of your agenda.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:22 am 

Disgusting, to me it just seems this BOY has a total disregard for politics, history, mathematics and Christians. I played through this game a number of times and found it to be fun and a fantastic translation right up to the very end. Sure it has a few references to real world subjects but to me that didnt matter cos at least I got to play the game in English finally. The D-D team worked SO hard on getting this project out to us non speaking Japanese people and I dont think this guy realises how much hard work goes into hacking/translating a game for us people wanting to play them.

@Draken I would have removed his troll posts by now due to the fact it's NOT even in the right forum section "La Wares?" this should be in the SSMS forum.. lol.

@Wildbill Take NO notice at this person, IF he can translate better then he's free to try.. ALL his evidence is based on what other people have come across and think, talk about a sheep. Who these days watches a Long Play before playing the game before hand any hows? it just seems like he's purposely gone out of his way to NOT being constructive but doing what he has done is nothing less than trolling.

I do however want to say this to tcaud.. translating from Japanese to English is NEVER that easy, cos the game companies of THAT time referenced japanese culture and jokes in their games that would NOT make ANY sense to us people on this side of the world. This is where translators/writers need to try and fit in something to the best of their knowledge that would fit into the story and work, which I feel Wildbill did. The SSMS japanese story is in fact a mix of real world issues and fantasy is you play and read the japanese version. The hero is in fact from the real world also and drawn into Shelldorado so the references to real world issues work just fine in Wildbill's translation.

In ANY case.. IF you DO decide to do your own translation give me a shout, i'd love to take a read or play your final release, i'm SURE it would be great.

Keep up the good work D-D your work is fantastic and cant wait for many releases in the future from you guys, that may I add.. you do for FREE AND IN YOUR SPARE TIME!! it's very much appreciated.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

My fellow moderators... I vote to leave this thread in here. A little side humor always adds spice to our labors.

SylarDean, Minerva is priority, but when you have time, I have some major SSMS-II groups* for ya to mull over. Thank God I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel on that one. Bless you, Gerb, wherever you be!

* Aggregates of alphanumeric values that a cryptologist converts into coherent messages.

Post subject: Re: SSMS Criticism
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

@tcaud

I would have responded to more of your issues earlier, but I had to head out the door for work, so let me do a better job addressing them presently:

1. Yes, there is tongue-in-cheek usage of the terms dynamic designs, which as you so cleverly noticed is a reference to us... If that is enough to ruin the immersive experience for you, then I'm sorry, but you're the only one to respond negatively to it, so I'm not sure if it's that big of an issue. I have played MANY games that had a name of a developer snuck into them somewhere, and I always remember responding to it positively. FFIV had an entire room with developer names from the real world... Was it a "red flag" of something?

2. David is the name that youtube content creator chose for the protagonist, so this concern of having a protagonist with a Judeo-Christian name shouldn't be blamed on us! We weren't the one's being religious this time!

3. "Jonah and the whale" is an instance that I believe WB added as I can't find any reference to it in my older versions of the scripts. This would indeed be a situation where the writer created something to make the script a bit more interesting. If this bothers you, again I apologize. I can also promise you that its mention and use will in no way be an attempt by WB to wean you over to the Judeo-Christian faith... It is just there for fun... Oh, and the game has a whale named Moby... Don't get angry at us, though. It's also in the original text.

4. "God's green Shelldorado" is a little pun on "God's green Earth". Is the word "God" making you upset again? For reference, (and this is just one of MANY) here's a bit of original Japanese text. I would like you to go plug it into google translate...
リンダ… お前達のおかげで
私達や 他のみんなも やっと
神に召されることができる…
See? This game does make reference to God (or god if you prefer), so again, this is something from the original text.

Okay... I'm really not trying to pile crap on you here. I'm just hoping you'll see that you've gotten all riled up by some of the negative comments out there about our work on this game. I really wanted to have this conversation because there are many people who have read the criticism and made the decision to crap all over the work and not enjoy playing the game.

With all that I've written, I want you to know that I was a beta tester for this game. I'm a fairly liberal-minded person, and I took issue with parts of script that had been altered to reflect a more right-leaning philosophy. They don't pop-up often, but they are in there nonetheless, and I'm not going to pretend that the script doesn't have any. Some of the changes I recommended where made, and some of them were not. I was not in charge of production, but I did my best to make WB aware that certain lines of text might alienate some people who want to play the game. Fast-forward to now, and I can see that maybe my warning has come true. At the same time, though, I would caution we shouldn't let opposing viewpoints be something that we refuse to acknowledge. We just need to relax and enjoy the game for what it is, because it's a really fun game to play! If you can ignore the few instances that pop-up, I'm sure that you, too, will have a rewarding experience playing the game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen the review on romhacking.net and also was a beta tester for the game itself. I have 2 MAJOR issues with that review.

First, the review was posted by someone who didn't play the game itself. Or, if he did, he certainly didn't discuss said game at any point. Just went on a bashing party pointing to something someone else said in a twitter thread. I'll give the guy in the twitter thread credit, he did provide 4 examples of his issue with the writing in the game. However, even in his case, I'm not sure he ever played the game. He extracted the script and did a search for a particular word. Either way, at least he gave examples we can discuss.

Second, he says ALL Wildbill's work is like this. No examples what so ever. I will admit that Wildbill might have gotten a little zealous with the references to government as stated in the twitter post. However, a broad statement like that is just ridiculous. Again, absolutely no proof what so ever, just a general statement. I've played several of Wildbill's games at this point. Please show me all of these issues in Villgust. Go on, I'm waiting. No, how about Phantasy Star Gaiden. (You will find an issue someone had, and I admit to it being there) The changing of the word Clone to Daughter and I take the blame for that. Any of the others?

My point is this. While what he is saying about this particular project may or may not be true. Why should we care if all he and you yourself want to do is just give us a general uninformed bashing. If you want to play the game and then come back and give us a proper informed constructive critique, feel free. If you want to take someone else's word for it, that is your prerogative but quit treating it like first hand info.

BTW: Just to set the record straight, lets clear up two other points you've made. This game is in no way the cute game you take it for. It has some VERY dark themes including mass murder as part of the plot. Cute graphics don't always mean a cute game.

The other thing, where in the heck did you get the idea because a game comes from Japan it can't have Christian and pseudo-Christian themes (unless it is an apocalyptic story)? Don't tell me you've never seen a nun in a game? I don't think these nuns are modeled after the Shinto faith! Princess Minerva has 1 in every town, including a full Christian like Church to accompany her as well. Now, they serve the Goddess in this particular game and not God. BTW: Note the capital on Goddess. She is the one religious entity of this game and therefore IS capitalized. God can be capitalized in fantasy and not be referring to Christianity. However, I'm not saying it isn't either. Depends on the game.

Anyway, my final point is, Japan doesn't live in a bubble and they use Christianity for a theme FAR more than you probably realize in all media. Want other examples. Ever watch the anime A Certain Magical Index. The main girl is a Catholic Nun if I'm not mistaken. Ambitions of Oda Nobona. Has a nun that comes over from Portugal to spread the word of the Christian church in Japan during the Edo period. (BTW: This was actually a thing that really occurred!) Do you think there are no Christians in Japan? If so, than you might want to get more informed. Just because Shintoism is the biggest religion doesn't make it the only religion. There are churches in Japan as well. Now the Japanese are going to be more likely to use Christianity in ways Christians might not approve of but use it they do, a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

And stuff like this is why I cancelled my facebook account. I am political to a point, but I don't wear it on my shoulders. When I read this stuff, I think, "over sensitivity", and I see myself as a moderate liberal / independent. Anyway, people need to relax. It's a game. A hobby. It is also FREE. I can say bleep this and spend all my time with my wife and two kids, but these guys are like family, and I enjoy my time here. My wife knows them and understands our relationship. So when a person or persons attempt a character hit, it feels personal. Either you play the game and not take it so seriously, or you don't. Professionals did not spend the time localizing this game, we did.

I felt a bit bothered by people who complained about the game not having a VWF for the 8x8 menu text. That was so petty to me, and it felt shallow. I no longer care anymore. I do what I do for D-D and that is all. Good day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

Heh, they should love Minerva then, but I still consider it a bunch of L33tist bull that people think a game has to have a VWF because it can, so don't get me started Bongo`. A VWF is no more readable than an FWF is and in some cases an FWF can be more readable in all honesty. Bashing a game for not having one is just silly. I don't like those little teeny tiny fonts some groups use but I'm not lighting the internet up about it, though I will talk about it on our forums because of the relevance to our group.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next