Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Genesis/Game Gear translation list
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:39 pm 

I figured I'd do a similar list to the one for SNES you can find on this forum (great job Implicid!). Perhaps it's going to help some folks choose future projects, or just interest someone enough to do research on Japanese GEN exclusives. I'm going to only focus on RPGs and strategy games so far, since those are two of the most "undiscovered" genres you could say. I'm going to add the Mega CD section later in the future as well, once more translation patches come out. Also, decided to add Game Gear to the list, because there wasn't that much stuff there at all, and perhaps these games will be of interest to some. Anyway:

GENESIS
RPGs/Strategy Games
TRANSLATED:
Bahamut Senki (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Battle Golfer Yui (filler, Supper)
King Colossus (M.I.J.E.T)
Langrisser II (M.I.J.E.T)
Madou Monogatari I (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Rent a Hero (NikcDC)
Vixen 357 (Nebulous Translations)
Star Cruiser (Nebulous Translations)
Advanced Military Commander (Nebelwurfer HQ)

In Progress:
Surging Aura (RedComet)

UNTRANSLATED:
Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor
Maten no Soumetsu
Dragon Slayer - Eiyuu Densetsu 1 (Text/font compression tools and notes for this version -> ROMhacking.net)
Dragon Slayer - Eiyuu Densetsu 2 (Text/font compression tools and notes for this version -> ROMhacking.net)
Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden
Super Daisenryaku
Dyna Brothers (abandoned script dumper/inserter -> ROMhacking.net)
Dyna Brothers 2
The Hybrid Front
Kishi Densetsu
NHK Taiga Drama
Ninja Burai Densetsu
Nobunaga no Yabou
Ransei no Hasha
Sangokushi Retsuden
Shura no Mon
Zan Yasha Enbukyoku

GAME GEAR
RPGs/Strategy Games
TRANSLATED:
Eternal Legend (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Godzilla: Monsters Attack (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Head Buster (Chris M. Covell)
Lunar: Sanposuru Gakuen (Aeon Genesis, SGS Translations)
Madou Monogatari I: Three Magic Orbs (filler, SSTranslations)
Madou Monogatari II: Arle, Age 16 (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Madou Monogatari III: The Ultimate Queen (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Madou Monogatari A: Dokidoki Vacation (Supper, filler)
Magic Knight Rayearth (Supper, filler)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (Supper, Tom)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special (Tom, MrRichard999, SSTranslations)
Moldorian (Supper, TheMajinZenki, cccmar)
Phantasy Star Adventure (Aeon Genesis)
Phantasy Star Gaiden (Dynamic Designs)
Royal Stone (Aeon Genesis)
SD Gundam: Winner's History (Gaijin Productions)
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (Shining Force Central)
Sylvan Tale (Aeon Genesis)

UNTRANSLATED:
Zan Gear
Taisen-gata: Daisenryaku G

Last edited by MariusB on Thu May 14, 2020 11:02 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Genesis translation list
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'd translate the script for Madou Monogatari since I did the one on Game Gear. Battle Golfer Yui looks like the kind of script I'd enjoy also, minus the fact that it's kana only. You aren't going to find anyone here to do the technical work on a Genesis game however.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 am 

filler wrote:
I'd translate the script for Madou Monogatari since I did the one on Game Gear. Battle Golfer Yui looks like the kind of script I'd enjoy also, minus the fact that it's kana only. You aren't going to find anyone here to do the technical work on a Genesis game however.

Yeah, I realize that. :) I figured that maybe some newcomers would be interested in working with some of those games, or perhaps someone just wants to check them out, out of curiosity.
If we're talking "pure" JRPGs, there are very, very few of those left - in fact, it's just Dragon Slayer 1 and 2, Maten no Soumetsu, Madou Monogatari and Surging Aura. So, arguably almost all the major JRPGs are done. Every other game veers towards some other genre more, mostly strategy. I guess if you added all the untranslated Genesis games here, there would still be fewer of them than SFC RPGs alone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

I took a look at Battle Golfer Yui, and I have a table file made, and I'm pretty sure I've found all the script. I just need to try to figure out what a couple of the control codes do and I'll dump a script. The main dialog text looks to be about 50K raw, so it's not exactly small, though not large like an RPG. That doesn't include the fixed width text of the intro and such, or the menus, etc...

I guess I'll translate it? Maybe someone will be interested in doing the script re-insertion.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm 

Ooh, nice! I like these lists. Perhaps there should be lists for the GBA and Game Gear?

I recommend the SegaDoes blog for when you want to research about more game titles that appeared on the Genesis or any other Sega console. Though the sole reviewer at the blog is FAR behind in terms of reviewing games from the oldest Sega console to the newest console. He's still on the Master System, sadly (The 1985-1989 lists are done. More big lists till 1993 then downsized till the end at year 1998.).

BUT, the good news is that his page lists for the 1988-1990 Genesis games are near completion! Ooh, Star Cruiser might be next to be reviewed (It was fan-translated late last year.)! Then he'll move on to the 1991 page while working on adding new review links to the Master System page in parallel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:20 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:
Ooh, nice! I like these lists. Perhaps there should be lists for the GBA and Game Gear?

I recommend the SegaDoes blog for when you want to research about more game titles that appeared on the Genesis or any other Sega console. Though the sole reviewer at the blog is FAR behind in terms of reviewing games from the oldest Sega console to the newest console. He's still on the Master System, sadly (The 1985-1989 lists are done. More big lists till 1993 then downsized till the end at year 1998.).

BUT, the good news is that his page lists for the 1988-1990 Genesis games are near completion! Ooh, Star Cruiser might be next to be reviewed (It was fan-translated late last year.)! Then he'll move on to the 1991 page while working on adding new review links to the Master System page in parallel.

Ahhh, I've been following this blog for quite a while actually! I believe the owner is on a temporary hiatus needed to write a book on his previous endeavor (reviews of all the official NES games which came out in the west). Looks like he did review the Star Cruiser already (very favorably at that) - if you use the 'search' function, the review pops up. Perhaps he will update the blog around next year or something.

Speaking of lists, I'd say that GB/GBC/GBA lists could potentially be quite useful. In the case of GG though there aren't that many games left though. All I can think of off the top of my head is one of the good Zenki games, a couple of RPGs (Moldorian, Eternal Legend, Madou Monogatari II and III - danke is working on the PC-98 versions, as far as I know) and perhaps Ninku 1 and 2, which have a fair bit of story. As to SMS, there are only two major games left - Tensai Bakabon and Sherlock Holmes. In other words, some consoles are clearly much better covered than others. :ugeek: Even Genesis has a miniscule amount of untranslated RPG/strategy games, as you can see. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm adding my own list here. Feel free to incorporate it into your main list, or leave it as is. I just got curious today as to what games were released in Japan for the Mega Drive that didn't have an English version, and this was the result. :lol:

Mega Drive Japanese Exclusives* (*Without English versions. There may be Korean releases)

Action
  1. Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Enji (action-adventure)
  2. Doraemon: Yume Dorobou to 7-Jin no Gozans (action-adventure)
  3. Magical * Taruruuto-kun (action platformer)
  4. Magical Hat no Buttobi Tabo! Daibouken (action platformer, released in the US as the highly modified "DecapAttack")
  5. Mamono Hunter Yohko: Dai-7 no Keishou (only needs a title screen, and ending logo hack)
  6. Osomatsu-kun: Hachamecha Gekijou (action)

Sports
  1. Aa Harimanada (narrative sumo wrestling)
  2. Choukyuukai Miracle Nine (baseball)
  3. Cutie Suzuki no Ringside Angel (narrative wrestling)
  4. Honoo no Doukyuuji: Dodge Danpei (narrative dodgeball)
  5. J.League Pro Striker (soccer/football)
  6. J.League Pro Striker 2 (soccer/football)
  7. J.League Pro Striker Kanzenban (soccer/football)
  8. Kyuukai Douchuuki (baseball)
  9. Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu Soccer-hen MD (soccer/football)
  10. New 3D Golf Simulation: Devil's Course (golf)
  11. New 3D Golf Simulation: Harukanaru Augusta (golf)
  12. New 3D Golf Simulation: Waialae no Kiseki
  13. Nikkan Sports Pro Yakyuu VAN (baseball)
  14. Slam Dunk: Kyougou Makkou Taiketsu! (From TV Animation) (narrative basketball)
  15. Tel Tel Stadium (baseball)
  16. Thunder Pro Wrestling Retsuden (cancelled US release "Jesse "The Body" Ventura Wrestling Superstars")

Strategy
  1. Advanced Daisenryaku: Deutsch Dengeki Sakusen (tactical strategy, unfinished-ish fan translation [missing splash screens])
  2. Bahamut Senki (sword and sorcery RTS)
  3. Dyna Brothers (dinosaurs vs. aliens RTS)
  4. Dyna Brothers 2 (dinosaurs vs. aliens RTS)
  5. Dyna Brothers 2 Special (JP Sega channel) (dinosaurs vs. aliens RTS)
  6. Hybrid Front, The (sci-fi tactical strategy)
  7. Kishi Densetsu (WWII RTS, partial fan translation)
  8. Ninja Burai Densetsu (ninja tactical strategy game)
  9. Nobunaga no Yabou: Bushou Fuuunroku (strategy sim)
  10. Nobunaga no Yabou: Haouden (strategy sim)
  11. Ransei no Hasha (strategy sim(?))
  12. San Goku Shi Retsuden: Ransei no Eiyuu Tachi (strategy sim)
  13. Super Daisenryaku (tactical strategy)
  14. Taiheiki (tactical strategy)
  15. Taikou Risshiden (tactical strategy/RPG)
  16. Zan: Yasha Enbukyoku (strategy simulation)

Board Game
  1. Chibi Maruko-Chan: Waku Waku Shopping (board game)
  2. Gambler Jiko Chuushinha: Katayama Masayuki no Mahjong Doujou (narrative mahjong)
  3. Go Net (network board game)
  4. Hyokkori Hyoutan Jima (board game)
  5. Janou Touryumon (mahjong)
  6. Jantei Monogatari (mahjong)
  7. Mahjong Cop Ryuu: Shiro Ookami no Yabou (narrative mahjong)
  8. Shogi no Hoshi (narrative shogi)
  9. Tel Tel Mahjong

Misc
  1. A-Ressha de Ikou MD (simulation)
  2. Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: 98-Shiki Kidou Seyo! (adventure)
  3. Pachinko Kuunyan (narrative pachinko)
  4. Party Quiz Mega Q (quiz)
  5. Sansan (some network game)
  6. Sumisei Home Tanmatsu (some application?)

Shoot-em-up
  1. Divine Sealing
  2. Fire Mustang
  3. Panorama Cotton
  4. Verytex (ending needs translation)

RPG
  1. Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu (tools on RHDN)
  2. Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (tools on RHDN)
  3. Madou Monogatari I
  4. Maten no Soumetsu
  5. Phantasy Star Fukkokuban (?)
  6. Sorcerian (unfinished fan translation[s])
  7. Surging Aura

VS. Fighting
  1. Gouketsuji Ichizoku (cancelled US release "Power Instinct", was released for SNES)
  2. Shura no Mon (cinematic fighting)
  3. Ultraman
  4. Yuu Yuu Hakusho Gaiden (cinematic fighting)

Puzzle
  1. Megapanel
  2. Puyo Puyo
  3. Puyo Puyo 2 (released in US on virtual console 2008)
  4. Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R
  5. Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
  6. Shikinjou

Racing
  1. Metal Fangs
  2. Nakajima Satoru Kanshuu F-1 Grand Prix
  3. Nakajima Satoru Kanshuu F-1 Super License

------------------------

Fan Translated or in Progress
  1. Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer (also released on US virtual console)
  2. Battle Mania Daiginjou
  3. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (being worked on by Supper and Eien ni Hen)
  4. Dahna: Megami Tanjou
  5. Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
  6. Langrisser II
  7. Lord Monarch: Tokoton Sentou Densetsu (being worked on by Ponidesu)
  8. Monster World IV (also has US virtual console release)
  9. Psyoblade
  10. Pulseman (also released in the US via the virtual console 2009)
  11. Rent A Hero
  12. Sonic Eraser
  13. Star Cruiser
  14. Tougi-Ou: King Colossus
  15. Twinkle Tale
  16. Undead Line
  17. Vixen 357
  18. Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen

------------------------

Already in English (or effectively so)
  1. Curse
  2. Dangerous Seed
  3. Darwin 4081
  4. Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  5. Dragon's Eye Plus: Shanghai 3 (?)
  6. Eliminate Down
  7. F1 Circus MD (?)
  8. Fastest 1 (?)
  9. Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special
  10. Master of Weapon
  11. New Zealand Story, The
  12. Pepenga Pengo ("Pepenga" on title screen is in Japanese)
  13. Rainbow Islands Extra
  14. Slap Fight MD
  15. Snow Bros.
  16. Tetris
  17. Top Pro Golf
  18. Uchuu Senkan Gomora (the original JP ROM includes an English title screen that is triggered by switching regions)
  19. Wani Wani World (Wani-Wani on title screen is in Japanese)
  20. XDR: X-Dazedly-Ray

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 pm 

Wow! That's a really amazing list, I think I'll update mine as well later on. :) Another good list someone linked me, by Spinner I believe: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =283823988

A couple of comments as far as some of these games go, organized by genres:

Action: - Magical Taluluuto was translated in the text form on the Sega 16 forum. There are tons of games in this series, including 2 pretty good (albeit very obscure) Famicom platformers. They're quite similar to SMB3 in their structure, just with much more story.

Strategy: - There are some tools for Dyna Brothers 1 on RHDN as well. The first game has much less text than the second game. Both are quite interesting, since dinosaurs vs. aliens (in a strategy game form, no less) isn't a particularly common concept. :D
- The Hybrid Front is one of the most wanted translations for the system. Tryphon was working on it IIRC, but he's not active at the moment, so it's probably up for grabs. Same probably goes to Lord Monarch, though that one was like 99% completed, and kinda became vaporware.

RPGs: - Surging Aura is being worked on by RedComet. Hopefully gets done soon-ish. :)
- Mado Monogatari 1 - you did the GG version, right? I believe this one has the same story, it's just the visual/sound aspect that differs.
- Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II... that's the "lost" game from the series which was never localized/fan-translated. Dunno how good it is, though.
- Phantasy Star Fukkokuban - it's just PS 1, with almost nothing changed from the original SMS release.
- The patch for MD port of Sorcerian apparently translates all the menus/character sheets etc., but not the mission-related text. It's probably not "that" much work as far as translation goes. I recall this game generally having between 10-20 missions, depending on a port. If someone ever finishes this patch, it would probably be wise to build upon what is already up on RHDN.
- Maten no Sōmetsu seemed very difficult to me when I tried it out; it's your rather typical medieval JRPG. Still, it did look quite stylish, and it's apparently a Mega Drive exclusive.

VS. fighting: - Shura no Mon and Yu Yu Hakusho have a lot of text each. They're more like RPG/fighting/VN hybrids. I believe Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden was partially translated on GameFAQs by someone, but the script was never inserted or anything.

Misc.: - Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor has some RPG elements from what I recall... I haven't played for long, I just remember the artwork being pretty nice, but the "RPG-like" overworld being really, really ugly.

Last edited by MariusB on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 am 

Fire Mustang is an arcade port. The arcade version should have a western version (I think it was "USA Air Force"), not sure if that can be applicable to the MD.
(bizarrely at least some point MAME had mixed up the ROMs on USAAF between a proper ROM and a bootleg version which had music stolen from Raiden swapped in)

Reportedly Phantasy Star Revival Version isn't even really a Mega Drive game. It's functionally an SMS ROM (probably the Japanese version effectively without the FM music) with the cart set up to boot the console in SMS mode.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 am 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
Wow! That's a really amazing list, I think I'll update mine as well later on. :) Another good list someone linked me, by Spinner I believe: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =283823988
Lol, I totally forgot about his lists. Probably would have saved me the better part of a day. :P Not too big a deal though. I was introduced to a lot of cool Mega Drive games.

MariusB wrote:
Mado Monogatari 1 - you did the GG version, right? I believe this one has the same story, it's just the visual/sound aspect that differs.
If Maison Ikkoku is any indication, having the same story doesn't help as much as it seems like it would. :) I'll have to take a look at this. I thought I read that it was some compilation or remix of the first 3 games.

MariusB wrote:
Misc.: - Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor has some RPG elements from what I recall... I haven't played for long, I just remember the artwork being pretty nice, but the "RPG-like" overworld being really, really ugly.
You're probably right. I think listed it as adventure because that's what it's under at GameFAQs.

KingMike wrote:
Fire Mustang is an arcade port. The arcade version should have a western version (I think it was "USA Air Force"), not sure if that can be applicable to the MD.
(bizarrely at least some point MAME had mixed up the ROMs on USAAF between a proper ROM and a bootleg version which had music stolen from Raiden swapped in)

Reportedly Phantasy Star Revival Version isn't even really a Mega Drive game. It's functionally an SMS ROM (probably the Japanese version effectively without the FM music) with the cart set up to boot the console in SMS mode.
Cool! I'll have to check out the arcade version of Fire Mustang.

BTW: I have had awful luck with the handful of these that I've checked out so far, in terms of finding the script in the ROM. :P

My projects
RHDN Community DB