Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
Post subject: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:58 am
Posts: 76
Hi guys! Hope you're all doing ok. Sorry if perhaps opening a new topic for this is overkill. I was doubting between updating the most recent post and opening a new one, and I decided for the later.

As I found a few weeks ago with Odysselya I, I've also found another let's play for this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMlquD ... 9irKN6Upk6

It seems to be complete and full of comments from the Japanese player, which might contain lots of juicy info from the game (or not, I don't understand a great deal of what he's saying). I have to say it feels like a vast improvement from its prequel. The graphics are colorful and very detailed, and the way you traverse the overworld in mode 7 gives me strong Final Fantasy VI vibes. I haven't watched this let's play in detail because I don't want to spoil myself too much. Definitely a game I'd love to play in English someday! :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Posts: 1
Is there a snowflakes chance in hell of this game to be translated to English?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 10:59 pm
Posts: 26
Nevilleget wrote:
Is there a snowflakes chance in hell of this game to be translated to English?


They've got it on their projects list. It's just that everybody in the group has commitments outside this hobby while also having multiple projects active, with varying degrees of progress. Free time to work on romhacks is limited, so they get to it when they're able to do so.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:49 am
Posts: 1287
Location: Oklahoma City
Odysselya II has a near complete to complete translation. Just a matter of finish work yet to do. So, to answer your question, yes it will be translated and released at some point in some form. Doesn't mean tomorrow, next week, next month or heck I won't promise next year. We're trying, but we're older and have commitments outside the hobby that eat most of our time. Whatever is left we devote some of to this hobby. However, this hobby also requires massive amounts of time for each game we release.

Anyway, I'll try not to turn this into a rant. I will simply say this. All the games we still have left on our project list with the exception of Odysselya I are translated and we have all intentions of getting them out. Odysselya I will also be added to that list once we find a quality translator to help us get it done.


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:58 am
Posts: 76
taskforce wrote:
Odysselya II has a near complete to complete translation. Just a matter of finish work yet to do. So, to answer your question, yes it will be translated and released at some point in some form. Doesn't mean tomorrow, next week, next month or heck I won't promise next year. We're trying, but we're older and have commitments outside the hobby that eat most of our time. Whatever is left we devote some of to this hobby. However, this hobby also requires massive amounts of time for each game we release.

Anyway, I'll try not to turn this into a rant. I will simply say this. All the games we still have left on our project list with the exception of Odysselya I are translated and we have all intentions of getting them out. Odysselya I will also be added to that list once we find a quality translator to help us get it done.


Regarding this game, I'd like to inform that I'm near finishing the betatesting ;) I've left some reports already in the bugtracker (mostly typos and such, although I've found at least two places where the game crashes).

Oh, by the way: could anyone with the appropriate permissions on the bugtracker, delete the report that has the ID 0000711? I made a mistake so I made it again as a new report, but couldn't delete the old one. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
akualung wrote:
taskforce wrote:
Odysselya II has a near complete to complete translation. Just a matter of finish work yet to do. So, to answer your question, yes it will be translated and released at some point in some form. Doesn't mean tomorrow, next week, next month or heck I won't promise next year. We're trying, but we're older and have commitments outside the hobby that eat most of our time. Whatever is left we devote some of to this hobby. However, this hobby also requires massive amounts of time for each game we release.

Anyway, I'll try not to turn this into a rant. I will simply say this. All the games we still have left on our project list with the exception of Odysselya I are translated and we have all intentions of getting them out. Odysselya I will also be added to that list once we find a quality translator to help us get it done.


Regarding this game, I'd like to inform that I'm near finishing the betatesting ;) I've left some reports already in the bugtracker (mostly typos and such, although I've found at least two places where the game crashes).

Oh, by the way: could anyone with the appropriate permissions on the bugtracker, delete the report that has the ID 0000711? I made a mistake so I made it again as a new report, but couldn't delete the old one. Thanks.
I'll sort that out eventually, and thanks!

I'm on the road with very limited connectivity and time to conduct anything personal. On top of that, just prior to boarding a plane, I walked out of my D. C. home and left my personal carry-on tablet bag with my Asus sitting next to my workstation. Fortunately, I brought my flash drives and a 5 TB mini portable Seagate HDD in my main carry-on that contain tons of backup files. When I arrive at a certain place in December, I'll reconstruct everything regarding this game (and others) in a PC there and get to work on your reports, as well as start hitting Oni-II a few new licks.

Oh, and if you wish and have time, Akualung, feel free to give the community a bit of info on your impressions of the fully translated game (script and lists), with due diligence in the spoiler department.

Yep, this game is 99.99% translated. All I can think of that isn't is a few battle Kanji that pop up occasionally. Those are graphic. I can translate them, but I can't hack them into English.


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:49 am
Posts: 1287
Location: Oklahoma City
akualung wrote:
Regarding this game, I'd like to inform that I'm near finishing the betatesting ;) I've left some reports already in the bugtracker (mostly typos and such, although I've found at least two places where the game crashes).

Oh, by the way: could anyone with the appropriate permissions on the bugtracker, delete the report that has the ID 0000711? I made a mistake so I made it again as a new report, but couldn't delete the old one. Thanks.


Done.


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:58 am
Posts: 76
taskforce wrote:
Done.


I appreciate it, Taskforce :) . I didn't find any way to modify the report, so I thought redoing it and asking to delete the old one would be the easiest way.


Wildbill wrote:
Oh, and if you wish and have time, Akualung, feel free to give the community a bit of info on your impressions of the fully translated game (script and lists), with due diligence in the spoiler department.


I don't consider myself very good when it comes to make reviews, but I'll try do my best. First of all I'd like to say that the mix of real Earth history and standard rpg fiction works very well and also it's amusing how a considerable amount of snes rpgs during that period are set in a world identical or resembling the actual Earth map. I've find the translation to be top-notch, it makes the plot easy to follow and the dialogs are consistent with every character way of speaking and their personality.

One only little thing I've noticed is that, during the third episode, I found it a little difficult to understand what was the purpose of the party members during that episode. Perhaps it was because many of the info that connects with what happens in that episode is found in the previous one by reading some of the books in
Spoiler! :
a library located inside Zion castle
. So, many of that information is found via text info-dumps instead of experiencing it yourself through the gameplay.

Another curious thing is, the game is divided into
Spoiler! :
nine
episodes but the first and second one seem to be fused into one, so you start playing the game until you reach to a point where it says "end of chapter 2 - start of chapter 3" and you're like "Really? When did chapter 1 end, then?". Don't know if it's intended to be that way, or bad planning during the game development process, etc.

Some of the episodes are slower than others and there are mechanics that look a little "half-cooked" (like the feature of finding monsters who join your party at times, as there's only 4 or 5 to be found in the end). But I've found it, in general, a game with a very decent plot and worth playing to anyone fond of the rpgs of that time.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: Complete Japanese playthrough of Odysselya II
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
akualung wrote:
taskforce wrote:
Done.


I appreciate it, Taskforce :) . I didn't find any way to modify the report, so I thought redoing it and asking to delete the old one would be the easiest way.


Wildbill wrote:
Oh, and if you wish and have time, Akualung, feel free to give the community a bit of info on your impressions of the fully translated game (script and lists), with due diligence in the spoiler department.


I don't consider myself very good when it comes to make reviews, but I'll try do my best. First of all I'd like to say that the mix of real Earth history and standard rpg fiction works very well and also it's amusing how a considerable amount of snes rpgs during that period are set in a world identical or resembling the actual Earth map. I've find the translation to be top-notch, it makes the plot easy to follow and the dialogs are consistent with every character way of speaking and their personality.

One only little thing I've noticed is that, during the third episode, I found it a little difficult to understand what was the purpose of the party members during that episode. Perhaps it was because many of the info that connects with what happens in that episode is found in the previous one by reading some of the books in
Spoiler! :
a library located inside Zion castle
. So, many of that information is found via text info-dumps instead of experiencing it yourself through the gameplay.

Another curious thing is, the game is divided into
Spoiler! :
nine
episodes but the first and second one seem to be fused into one, so you start playing the game until you reach to a point where it says "end of chapter 2 - start of chapter 3" and you're like "Really? When did chapter 1 end, then?". Don't know if it's intended to be that way, or bad planning during the game development process, etc.

Some of the episodes are slower than others and there are mechanics that look a little "half-cooked" (like the feature of finding monsters who join your party at times, as there's only 4 or 5 to be found in the end). But I've found it, in general, a game with a very decent plot and worth playing to anyone fond of the rpgs of that time.
Thanks for helping me with this, the first full-sized RPG I've translated 100% myself. I hope to get this patch out in 2020. Those areas you found ambiguous, I may ask an accomplished translator to review. As for chapter endings, I just followed the format the devs gave me and went with literal translations that were as about as straightforward as I could make them in the spaces allotted. The libraries were indeed a wealth of clarifying information, but I can see action-oriented players shying away from bogging themselves down with so many laborious tomes. Actually, I would occasionally nod off at the keyboard while writing and rewriting the books, especially while confirming backgrounds through the review of multitudes of authentic historical accounts. In some cases, the Japanese writer had a few dates, places, players, and outcomes off a little bit - classic examples of "something lost in the translation!" In sum, I would call the genre of this work historical fiction combined with fantasy involving time-travel.


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group