Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unraveling the story *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Help, hausen! Just gave bones to King Zi in Ji and am translating/writing the boat landing south of the almost deserted village with the old man. Still in Yan, but when I clear the pier, I will have a V0.30 beta and land back in Luoyang where Lu Buwei has summoned me. I'm having problems with the conversation coming up with Buwei.

It involves a sister sold into slavery, a crown princess, and possibly a queen. Then, I believe the fighters go off to save Mengchang in Qi. Does this sound right? What's going on with the sister? I need to get this scene right. Later, a man making chicken sounds comes into play. Is that the thief I met previously in a storeroom and can now hire in the Luoyang bar? What another translator did before me with a little spot work through here is very vague, and my preliminary translation isn't much more clear.

The sister sold into slavery is the hero's sister. A little later in the game there's a scene where she introduces the playable character Zheng (セイ), who later becomes known as the famous Qin Shi Huangdi. The game posits that the hero's sister is Zheng's mother.

In real history, Qin Shi Huangdi's mother was a concubine of Lü Buwei's. Yiren, a prince from the state of Qin, fell in love with this concubine, and after marrying her she was named/known as "Lady Zhao". Lü Buwei later helped Yiren to become the king of Qin. Zheng rose to the throne after Yiren. Another version of the story claims that Lü Buwei was the father instead of Yiren. Wikipedia has a good summary of this story... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin_Shi_Huang#Birth_and_parentage

So, to sum up: hero's sister was a slave. Qin's Crown Prince (Yiren) fell in love with her, and the couple had a son, Zheng (Qin Shi Huangdi). Lü Buwei somehow knew she was hero's sister, and then bought her from the slave market.

I'm not sure what you mean by a thief you met previously in a storeroom. Do you mean the one npc in Linzi? Not related to the event.

Lol at the man making chicken sounds :mrgreen: Took me the longest time to figure out how and where to recruit those guys haha. That's not the thief, you need 毛盗 (Mao Dao) mercenary in your party to rescue Lord Mengchang. The prison is on east side of Linzi palace, you enter in between two bushes.

Post subject: Re: Unraveling the story
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, that was timely! Thanks! I will do Chapter 21 today after all "Return to Luoyang". I am sitting on a V0.30 beta right now. Then, I will start over for continuity and reformatting with Taskforce's new font. I must also cut bytes in Block01. BBBBOOONNNGGGOOO`! I need a couple more thousand!!

I recalled the hero's "lost" sister in the introduction and thought, "Nah", but there she is. Beautiful!

Gonna need ya, coach, as this thing becomes more Machiavellian!

The thief was in a storeroom in front of a castle. It's all fuzzed together right now. Maybe I translated it wrong. Anyway, here's the string...

.POINTER = $10077E
; Offset: $121C8E

; 盗賊 :悪いが ここのお宝は
;  先にいただくぜ。
Thief: Yeah, I'm a bad guy, but
this tempting treasure here...?
[key]In the end, I'll steal it![end-4]

And here is the graphic. The string was broken and misdirecting earlier, but I fixed it. Here's the side-entrance. I guess the thief solves the lack of key problem! Funny thing, I tried to raid those red and gold boxes, too! When in the heck does my arm get muscled up enough to carry "big boy" weapons!?

Image Image

Edit: Any objection to renaming Damascus Sword to a real Chinese Sword of those times?

2nd edit: How about the "Tiger Hook" or "Tiger Sword"? It would be the 2nd to most powerful before the 7-Star Sword.

Or Goujian Sword.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm 

Yep, that thief in Linzi storeroom is just a normal npc, he's not involved in story. The thief you need to free Mengchang is the mercenary you can hire from Luoyang bar, upstairs... show the 鬼の紋華 item Guiguzi gave you to the clerk by table and he'll let you recruit any of 'em. Here's a (large) image from the guide that details their abilities:
Spoiler! :
Attachment:
mercenaries.png
mercenaries.png [ 3.17 MiB | Viewed 23266 times ]
I've not messed around with them much and I don't know what most of the abilities do for certain..

The first guy (bard class) mimicks animals and there's 1 in 4 chance in paralyzing enemies for a few turns. The second (thief) can steal items from enemies. etc. I mostly just use the archer, he's way overpowered... his special attack does huge magic damage at a small 20 hp cost. Tears even most bosses apart. Gold is the only barrier - and finding valuable loot is just a matter of looking in right places - to recruiting these super guys to your party and they will help a lot.

Damascus becomes a big plot point late in game. Basically it's a "cursed" "legendary" sword (not based on any actual legendary Chinese sword?) that, to spoil a bigger story point:
Spoiler! :
corrupts Zheng into becoming evil
I like the name Damascus as default. Though Goujian is also good for being an actual historic nod to a real sword. Tiger Hook/Sword just sounds too mundane to me, would not use that.

Don't expect the hero to equip too many items, he's a spellcaster type after all not a buff fighter :lol: Here's a chart of weapons from my notes. Don't mind the english names, I know they might not be properly translated - it's just a quick reference I've written for myself.

EDIT: The columns are: Japan name; English name; Attack power; Strength requirement. It doesn't translate too well pasting from excel to here.
Spoiler! :
SWORDS
短刀 Dagger 3 8
銅の剣 Copper Sword 13 30
青銅の剣 Bronze Sword 25 50
鉄の剣 Iron Sword 50 70
隕鉄の剣 Steel Sword 100 100
神鉄の剣 Imperial Sword 130 120
ダマス力スの剣 Damascus 200 -
七宝星剣 Starlight Sword 200 150
RODS
木の仗 Wooden Rod 2 5
樫の杖 Oak Rod 8 10
棍 Mace 20 20
鉄仗 Iron Rod 25 50
鉄芯棍 Iron Mace 40 80
金剛杖 Pilgrim Staff 60 100
金剛棍 Diamond Mace 120 130
竜仙の杖 Dragon Rod 250 -
SPEARS
竹槍 Bamboo Spear 12 10
長槍 Long Spear 23 35
白木の槍 Wooden Spear 30 55
銅の槍 Copper Spear 45 75
青銅の槍 Bronze Spear 60 100
鉄の槍 Iron Spear 100 115
水晶の槍 Crystal Spear 120 125
金剛の槍 Diamond Spear 185 150

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Yep, that thief in Linzi storeroom is just a normal npc, he's not involved in story. The thief you need to free Mengchang is the mercenary you can hire from Luoyang bar, upstairs... show the 鬼の紋華 item Guiguzi gave you to the clerk by table and he'll let you recruit any of 'em. Here's a (large) image from the guide that details their abilities:
Spoiler! :
Attachment:
mercenaries.png
I've not messed around with them much and I don't know what most of the abilities do for certain..

The first guy (bard class) mimicks animals and there's 1 in 4 chance in paralyzing enemies for a few turns. The second (thief) can steal items from enemies. etc. I mostly just use the archer, he's way overpowered... his special attack does huge magic damage at a small 20 hp cost. Tears even most bosses apart. Gold is the only barrier - and finding valuable loot is just a matter of looking in right places - to recruiting these super guys to your party and they will help a lot.

Damascus becomes a big plot point late in game. Basically it's a "cursed" "legendary" sword (not based on any actual legendary Chinese sword?) that, to spoil a bigger story point:
Spoiler! :
corrupts Zheng into becoming evil
I like the name Damascus as default. Though Goujian is also good for being an actual historic nod to a real sword. Tiger Hook/Sword just sounds too mundane to me, would not use that.

Don't expect the hero to equip too many items, he's a spellcaster type after all not a buff fighter :lol: Here's a chart of weapons from my notes. Don't mind the english names, I know they might not be properly translated - it's just a quick reference I've written for myself.

EDIT: The columns are: Japan name; English name; Attack power; Strength requirement. It doesn't translate too well pasting from excel to here.
Spoiler! :
SWORDS
短刀 Dagger 3 8
銅の剣 Copper Sword 13 30
青銅の剣 Bronze Sword 25 50
鉄の剣 Iron Sword 50 70
隕鉄の剣 Steel Sword 100 100
神鉄の剣 Imperial Sword 130 120
ダマス力スの剣 Damascus 200 -
七宝星剣 Starlight Sword 200 150
RODS
木の仗 Wooden Rod 2 5
樫の杖 Oak Rod 8 10
棍 Mace 20 20
鉄仗 Iron Rod 25 50
鉄芯棍 Iron Mace 40 80
金剛杖 Pilgrim Staff 60 100
金剛棍 Diamond Mace 120 130
竜仙の杖 Dragon Rod 250 -
SPEARS
竹槍 Bamboo Spear 12 10
長槍 Long Spear 23 35
白木の槍 Wooden Spear 30 55
銅の槍 Copper Spear 45 75
青銅の槍 Bronze Spear 60 100
鉄の槍 Iron Spear 100 115
水晶の槍 Crystal Spear 120 125
金剛の槍 Diamond Spear 185 150
This is quite valuable info! I wish I had someone who would translate those retainer pages and superimpose English over the Japanese. As for the Damascus Sword, Goujian, a Chinese treasure, would not be appropriate for a cursed weapon. Better to use something associated with the Near East.

As for the mercenary loft, I think I located the guy. Something triggered a change in strings for this one, upon my return to Luoyang. Does the rescue mission also have something to do with a forest - maybe the bushes outside the side door to the castle dungeons?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:25 am 
Site Admin

The Sister Reunion

My rough translation made perfect sense once I knew the whole story, but I really had to really cut down the richness of this scene. I have also blocked off lots of story text in Block01, just so I can insert this scene and keep working. Later, I'll have to cut every string until the text fits. The stinginess of space in this non-expandable game is killing me! It may come down to shop owner transactions and such cut to nothing. i. e. Weapons: Hi, buy, come again! This, instead of the usual pleasantries.

Post subject: Re: Unraveling the story *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:08 am 

Superb!! Still that pesky text space issue seems to be plaguing and hampering your fine work every turn!

The quiz hermit you talk before the scene... shouldn't he say "a Quiz Master" instead of "the Quiz Master"? After all, he's just one of many similar Quiz masters around the game.

Lü Buwei's line "Due to the scrolls ..." but it's only about that one particular scroll you receive at beginning of the game from a soldier, and later give to the hermit at a lake to decode. So: "Due to the scroll," :mrgreen:

In the scene, I guess you could shorten Jing Ke to just Jing (like we know Lin means our buddy Lin Xiangru talking) if that saves ya any space!

By the by, I don't know what's up with that npc by the table, and that forests and thieves line. The prison in Linzi is next to where you found that spear, just walk into the building between the bushes. These clerks here recruit mercenaries for you:
Attachment:
Shiki01.png
Shiki01.png [ 5.53 KiB | Viewed 23202 times ]

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention! Incase you were wondering about the town signs - they're not traditional japanese or Chinese kanji. They're actually real Chinese seal script symbols that were in use at this historic period of time. The seal script symbols transformed over time into the kanjis we use today. For historic flavor, you could keep them in, but it's just as fine to change them to more recognizable signs I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am 
Site Admin

I definitely would be apposed to changing period accurate graphics. You can use NPC's to point to said signs. There is no real reason to translate them when they are geographically accurate. It isn't like Japanese in a fantasy world. I wouldn't change Japanese signs in a Japanese setting game either. (I would have left them alone had we finished our version of Hourai as well.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Superb!! Still that pesky text space issue seems to be plaguing and hampering your fine work every turn!

The quiz hermit you talk before the scene... shouldn't he say "a Quiz Master" instead of "the Quiz Master"? After all, he's just one of many similar Quiz masters around the game.

Lü Buwei's line "Due to the scrolls ..." but it's only about that one particular scroll you receive at beginning of the game from a soldier, and later give to the hermit at a lake to decode. So: "Due to the scroll," :mrgreen:

In the scene, I guess you could shorten Jing Ke to just Jing (like we know Lin means our buddy Lin Xiangru talking) if that saves ya any space!

By the by, I don't know what's up with that npc by the table, and that forests and thieves line. The prison in Linzi is next to where you found that spear, just walk into the building between the bushes. These clerks here recruit mercenaries for you:
Attachment:
Shiki01.png

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention! Incase you were wondering about the town signs - they're not traditional japanese or Chinese kanji. They're actually real Chinese seal script symbols that were in use at this historic period of time. The seal script symbols transformed over time into the kanjis we use today. For historic flavor, you could keep them in, but it's just as fine to change them to more recognizable signs I guess!
Okay, I will fix all of those details.
Spoiler! :
I did wonder from the beginning how many scrolls the officer handed to the hero. I thought it might be four Qigong spells he could learn. Now I know spells come only from sage training. Instead, the Scroll is coded war plans. I got that.

Regarding the retainers, one translated Japanese walk-through has a player saying he'd rather recruit the guys at the tables than the ones in the menu. I'll re-translate the fellow at the table whose dialogue changed when he suggested hiring people gifted in thievery and forests. For Mengchang, the thief part I get. I haven't solved the "chicken" part yet." I also see I can't put new equipment on mercs, but they can beat some of the strong monsters in caves. Mercs do "unbalance" the game after the strong monsters do, initially.

I raided Shouchun's shops on the way back to Linzi. I like this non-linear world - until I get zapped by something!

Is Luoyang - Part 2 the first opportunity to recruit mercs? If not, could I have taken some up to Yan with me?

Grace Village, south of Yan, tell me if I got the fable right with the dying man and three lazy sons. The father said treasure was buried there, so everyone came and dug up the fields while the lazy boys coveted the treasure for themselves. No treasure was found, but since the fields were turned up, someone dropped in seeds. A bountiful harvest resulted, and everybody got the point that the treasure in the soil was the ability to produce food. The rumor of another kind of treasure was the ploy the father used to set this all up so he could get the point across to his sons after his death.

Boat landings... People around and about those offer a kaleidoscope of the culture and happenings in the realms. Unfortunately, a lot of cutting will occur with these.

I have updated my weapons list with your input.

I have merc information already translated because this comes up automatically on Status screens in the bar loft, as well as in the field.

The graphic hacks on the shop signs have actually been in the working ROM since about 2012. I did read about those ancient "Seal Scripts" from researching various subjects, but did not equate them to the symbols in the Japanese ROM until you told me above. Oh, I have all the Stamps possible to this point, except from Shouchun.

I am back in Qi this morning. I will do a little with it before I start my game over and clean up everything back to this spot. This puts me past the 1/3 point, by chapters. I won't be advancing this rapidly for a while, but I'll still be pecking away at things, hoping a real translator comes along, and I need to pick up with 3X3 Eyes soon and shoot it forward. It's already 100% translated! I just had to prove to Bongo` I could do this and try to jump-start Shiji into a real project!

I don't know how much time you may have down the road, but I hope you can help me clean up a hundred or two more details similar to what you shared above - in other words - help me go through everything with a fine-toothed comb until we get it ready for beta testing.

Thanks for everything, so far!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
I definitely would be apposed to changing period accurate graphics. You can use NPC's to point to said signs. There is no real reason to translate them when they are geographically accurate. It isn't like Japanese in a fantasy world. I wouldn't change Japanese signs in a Japanese setting game either. (I would have left them alone had we finished our version of Hourai as well.)
They were already changed in the insertion package Bongo` sent me. I never realized how much preliminary work he had done on this until I got deep into the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

LOL I'm finding it out by having to adjust those assembly files of his. There are a ton of them. He did a massive pile of work.