Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: Unraveling the story *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:52 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
taskforce wrote:
So, I would really suggest you start over and name your character WWWWWW while you work on this game (and any new games you do where you name your guy.)

This will save you so many headaches down the road. Trust me.
Since I'm the only one translating so far, I have a lot of rough edges and will need a second pass. The next one will be WWWWWW.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Hausen, instead of "Damascus Sword" we could call it...
Spoiler! :
"Scimitar" because that it what it is, by appearance in Mt. Huashan, a scimitar with a rare hand-guard feature

If we keep calling it Damascus Sword, we will need to either drop "Sword" or abbreviate it to "Swd".

Oh, and I'm calling the Qin Kingdom King just "Qin King", unless you have a preferred actual name for him. Is he the father or grandfather of Zheng? Zheng rejoins when the party returns to Handan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Could still do those Icons.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Could still do those Icons.
That may be the best way to bring out the full richness of equipment names.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

What icons do you need? I'll look into putting them together for you.

You mind also e-mailing me a current archive, I want to try something and see if I can gain you some extra bytes to use. It might not work so no promises, but I will give it a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:

You mind also e-mailing me a current archive, I want to try something and see if I can gain you some extra bytes to use. It might not work so no promises, but I will give it a shot.

@TF: I think the game can use the Icons for "Weapon, Armor, and Helmet". Also, you can make them either 8x16 or 16x16 icons.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:53 pm 

What a surprising day for releases! And when will I have time to play GOD? That one's been on the horizon so long now, mouth watering you'd always stare impatiently at the progress meter. So the wait is over (bugfixes notwithstanding)... I definitely want to get started with that as soon as there's peace and time to enjoy it to the fullest. Huge applause and congratulations to all of you and your dedication, again!

Hmm, there's plenty of stuff here. I noticed the screenshots in SHL's project page are broken at the moment by the way.

Damascus...
Spoiler! :
You're right the graphic of the sword reminds of a scimitar. I guess there are two ways of looking at this:
1) Damascus can refer to damascus steel, a type of steel used in weapon-making in the Middle East. Syria's capital still carries this name as it was a central trading hub for swords made from this material. Damascus is period accurate with this game's setting atleast, being made as early as 600 BC or thereabouts. The method for making this type of steel has been lost in our day and age, and nobody has figured the original method out which is interesting to note. And finally, Damascus is the original name used in the game, so that's something to account for when deciding on its translation.

2) Scimitar is excellent in describing how the sword looks in the game. It's not period accurate - perhaps - according to wikipedia 'scimitar' is a later invention and maybe didn't exist around 300 BC. To me, 'scimitar' doesn't ring legendary or noteworthy for a sword of this prominence in the game's story. Scimitars are usually very generic type of weapon in RPGs, after all. How does 'Shamshir' sound? It's another scimitar type sword and it's a bit less generic sounding to me. Though again, it's a 12th century type of sword strictly speaking.

I'd keep it Damascus (without sword part is okay) but scimitar/shamshir better matching its graphic was a good point to ponder. Let's keep brainstorming :)

The ramen-lamien dilemma (the things I never thought I'd be pondering one day): My instict goes to just leaving it 'ramen', but after looking that lamien thing up I can see your point. 'Lamien' first thing conjures images of certain vixious monster-women common in this genre of RPGs, so the connotation might be unfortunate considering the intended innocent image of townsfolk slurping noodles, not.. uh, mystery meat!

I was figuring out troublesome monster names and reading about Chinese fauna the other evening. This is one area where including proper names for certain enemies can be a great way to enrich the game world and introduce the flair of the setting conveniently. On the other hand being uncompromising with 'authenticity' will get really messy and might only be difficult to follow, so a middle road in between will have to be discovered.

For example, panthers are called leopards in Asia/China. They are clearly referred as panthers in the game, but an argument can be made for strictly calling them Leopards. There are also a few enemies named 'crocodiles' in this game, but there are no crocodiles in China, only alligators.

Qin King's name:
Spoiler! :
He's King Zhaoxiang, based on the fact of his involvement in the He Shi Bi storyline. If that's too long and inconvenient to use (looks like it), no problem calling him simply Qin King. Yep, Zheng is his great-grandson :mrgreen:

(Confusingly, he's also known as 'King Zhao of Qin'. Zhao of course also being the name of the state opposed to Qin. And Zhaoxiang's father was named King Huiwen of Qin - Huiwen also being the name of Zhao's king at this time! Let's not keep going further lol)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
taskforce wrote:

@TF: I think the game can use the Icons for "Weapon, Armor, and Helmet". Also, you can make them either 8x16 or 16x16 icons.
Whatever you all decide is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:17 pm 

Yay, I got my new Shiji book in mail today! It has some english translated chapters, notably stuff about the 4 Lords, I didn't have access to before. There's a few anecdotes about our friend Lin that aren't in the game but would fit right in if they had. For your amusement and to provide some more insight on Lin's character I'll just post them here:
Quote:
The king of Qin sent a messenger to tell the king of Zhao he wanted to hold a meeting at a place near Luoyang. The king of Zhao was afraid of Qin and wanted to refuse to go. Lin Xiangru's counsel was that: "If the king won't go, it will show that Zhao is weak and cowardly." So the king went, and Lin Xiangru accompanied him.

The king of Qin drank until he was intoxicated. "We have heard that the king of Zhao is fond of music. Might you play the zither?"

The king of Zhao strummed the zither. A Qin attendant scribe came forward and wrote: "On such and such year, month and day, the king of Qin met to drink with the king of Zhao and commanded the king of Zhao play the zither."

Lin Xiangru came forward. "The king of Zhao has heard that the king of Qin is skilled at playing Qin tunes. We ask permission to present a clay pot drum to the king of Qin for our mutual pleasure."

The king of Qin was angry and refused. Xiangru came forward and presented the pot, kneeling to beg the king of Qin. The king of Qin was unwilling to strike the pot. "Within the space of the five paces between us, I ask permission to splash you with my throat's blood!" His courtiers prepared to cut Xiangru down. Xiangru opened his eyes wide and shouted at them. The courtiers retreated in confusion.

The king of Qin was discomforted and tapped once on the pot. Xiangru turned around and summoned a Zhao attendant scribe to write: "On such and such year, month and day, the king of Qin played the pot for the king of Zhao."

The king of Qin finished his wine, unable to triumph over Zhao. After concluding the meeting and returning home, Xiangru was appointed Senior Excellency by the king of Zhao because of his great merit.

-----------------------------

The assembled vassals of Qin said: "We ask for fifteen of Zhao's walled cities as a gift to the king of Qin!"

Xiangru responded: "We ask for Qin's capital Xianyang as a gift to the king of Zhao."

Lin once argued with king of Zhao about his decision to appoint an inexperienced General Kuo to lead Zhao's troops. Lin opposed the king's decision, and laments: "Your Majesty is sending General Kuo because of his reputation, this is like gluing the tuning bridges to strum a zither."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Yay, I got my new Shiji book in mail today! It has some english translated chapters, notably stuff about the 4 Lords, I didn't have access to before. There's a few anecdotes about our friend Lin that aren't in the game but would fit right in if they had. For your amusement and to provide some more insight on Lin's character I'll just post them here:
Quote:
The king of Qin sent a messenger to tell the king of Zhao he wanted to hold a meeting at a place near Luoyang. The king of Zhao was afraid of Qin and wanted to refuse to go. Lin Xiangru's counsel was that: "If the king won't go, it will show that Zhao is weak and cowardly." So the king went, and Lin Xiangru accompanied him.

The king of Qin drank until he was intoxicated. "We have heard that the king of Zhao is fond of music. Might you play the zither?"

The king of Zhao strummed the zither. A Qin attendant scribe came forward and wrote: "On such and such year, month and day, the king of Qin met to drink with the king of Zhao and commanded the king of Zhao play the zither."

Lin Xiangru came forward. "The king of Zhao has heard that the king of Qin is skilled at playing Qin tunes. We ask permission to present a clay pot drum to the king of Qin for our mutual pleasure."

The king of Qin was angry and refused. Xiangru came forward and presented the pot, kneeling to beg the king of Qin. The king of Qin was unwilling to strike the pot. "Within the space of the five paces between us, I ask permission to splash you with my throat's blood!" His courtiers prepared to cut Xiangru down. Xiangru opened his eyes wide and shouted at them. The courtiers retreated in confusion.

The king of Qin was discomforted and tapped once on the pot. Xiangru turned around and summoned a Zhao attendant scribe to write: "On such and such year, month and day, the king of Qin played the pot for the king of Zhao."

The king of Qin finished his wine, unable to triumph over Zhao. After concluding the meeting and returning home, Xiangru was appointed Senior Excellency by the king of Zhao because of his great merit.

The assembled vassals of Qin said: "We ask for fifteen of Zhao's walled cities as a gift to the king of Qin!"

Xiangru responded: "We ask for Qin's capital Xianyang as a gift to the king of Zhao."

Lin once argued with king of Zhao about his decision to appoint an inexperienced General Kuo to lead Zhao's troops. Lin opposed the king's decision, and laments: "Your Majesty is sending General Kuo because of his reputation, this is like gluing the tuning bridges to strum a zither."
What timing! Just minutes ago, I finished a major rewrite of the Jade Disk scene in Xianyang! Lin acted as brashly there as your excerpts confirm him to be. Lin almost lost his head in Xianyang, then he tricked the Qin king with flattery, to get him to admit the 15 castles ploy was a subterfuge - a shady attempt to concoct a pretext for war with Zhao! Of course, the future emperor of Qin (Zheng) is still a kid living as a hostage in the Zhao Kingdom (Handan).

With the extra bytes, I finally brought that Jade Disk anecdote to the full dramatic level it deserves!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next