Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do in the cave near the Great Wall in the Northwest?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:44 am 

There is a cave you can enter with tons of different stairs near the Great Wall in the NW part of the map, the same map that had that white horse. The cave is kind of far from that event, hope that makes sense.

Anyway, there have to be 25 or 30, or even more stairs and they all seem to lead to an EMPTY treasure chest. Can anything be done here?

Man, this game...
THANKS!

Post subject: Re: What to do in the cave near the Great Wall in the Northw
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a while since I last played this game, but from what I remember, there's a part when a character tells you to go there to find some sort of buried treasure. If you try to go there before, as with the nearby cave with the dragon boss fight, nothing will come of it. Anyway, look at the sign, then count the stairs starting at the top left one indicated by the number of "months and days" on the sign. These stairs are supposed to represent a calendar of sorts. I can't quite remember if simply counting the "days" was all that mattered or if the "months" represented the horizontal set of stairs and the "days" the vertical ones (or vice versa). Sorry that I cant' be any more clear, but I beta tested two other rather lengthy RPGs after I had finished this one, so my memory of it is starting to fade a bit.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:21 pm 

Recca wrote:
It's been a while since I last played this game, but from what I remember, there's a part when a character tells you to go there to find some sort of buried treasure. If you try to go there before, as with the nearby cave with the dragon boss fight, nothing will come of it. Anyway, look at the sign, then count the stairs starting at the top left one indicated by the number of "months and days" on the sign. These stairs are supposed to represent a calendar of sorts. I can't quite remember if simply counting the "days" was all that mattered or if the "months" represented the horizontal set of stairs and the "days" the vertical ones (or vice versa). Sorry that I cant' be any more clear, but I beta tested two other rather lengthy RPGs after I had finished this one, so my memory of it is starting to fade a bit.

Thanks a lot. Thi game is insane with the puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
There is a cave you can enter with tons of different stairs near the Great Wall in the NW part of the map, the same map that had that white horse. The cave is kind of far from that event, hope that makes sense.

Anyway, there have to be 25 or 30, or even more stairs and they all seem to lead to an EMPTY treasure chest. Can anything be done here?

Man, this game...
THANKS!
One situation I recall concerning the Great Wall... You must perform certain tasks in a certain order, or you may...
Spoiler! :
permanently lose out on something important. It may have been a stamp. One more hint: when you reach the throne room in final palace, when your quarry vanishes, nothing in the game has given you a clue as to what you must do next.

The fact that Recca beat this game with no English guides or resources attests to just what an amazing RPG player he is!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:48 am 
Site Admin

Hey, thanks! Even so, this game still pushed me to my absolute "gaming limits". They really chose to give it their all when making this game without any pity nor remorse for the players! I really can't blame anyone if they chose to quit midgame as this particular title requires a lot of patience, willpower, determination and grit. And that's putting it mildly. The use of emulator save states is definitely recommended as you don't want to lose somewhere in a dungeon or even on the world map after making so much progress and then having to load from an old save in whatever last town you were in. I can't stress this enough for anyone reading this and playing the game, save as often as you possibly can!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:36 am 

I'm currently at the same cave after obtaining the
Spoiler! :
damascus sword
Tried visiting all the stairs, but all of them contain empty chests.

I recall visiting this cave before obtaining the
Spoiler! :
damascus sword
and managed to access a lower-level after entering one of the stairs.
The
Spoiler! :
damascus sword
is supposedly cursed and not equipable, but I'm currently able to equip it. I think this may have something to do with my earlier visit to the cave. The problem is, even with the
Spoiler! :
damascus sword
equiped, I'm still not able to kill the
Spoiler! :
snake dragon in the mountain cave

edit: nvm. found the stairs down after trying all the stairs again.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:01 am 

The requirements for progressing here aren't straightforward, but the solution to the "puzzle" is. On the sign, you'll see a message including two numbers. Counting left-to-right from the top, go down the stairs indicated by the first number, go back up, and then go down the stairs indicated by the second number. Trying them all still works.

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:28 am 

Sherkel wrote:
The requirements for progressing here aren't straightforward, but the solution to the "puzzle" is. On the sign, you'll see a message including two numbers. Counting left-to-right from the top, go down the stairs indicated by the first number, go back up, and then go down the stairs indicated by the second number. Trying them all still works.

Damn. That definitely wasn't obvious.
Also explains why the stairs don't show up sometimes.
That happens when the 1st number is greater than the 2nd, and they're being walked top to down, left to right.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:08 pm 

I guess it does get a bit confusing sometimes, but it's nothing like Shadowgate or Layton where the entire point of the game is to be as irritating and unfun as possible. :P Different strokes for different folks!

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.