Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Feedback thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations on the release! I believe that I can safely say that out of all the projects that I've ever worked on, this was by far the most painful one that I've beta tested. The high encounter rate, tough boss battles, lack of money awarded from battles and especially those pain in the rear end puzzles, among other things, are definitely a deal breaker with this game for many potential new players. However, at least the script is well written and the historically based story line is interesting. The graphics and music were also well made.

Oh and hey, it's nice to hear from you again, Draken! How are things? It's funny that I had the exact same feeling about the news post. It was quite a task reading through that huge wall of text. Not that I'm criticizing or anything. Believe me, after playing through such a difficult game, I can't blame Wildbill for wanting to write such a speech at the release of... Or rather, victory over such a tough as nails game! If anything, a great giant banner should be displayed in celebration for such a feat!

Speaking of which, I wish that I could help with that tiger puzzle, but unfortunately it's been a while and I don't remember too much about how I solved each individual puzzle. Seeing as there's so many of them and each one gets progressively more difficult. I couldn't find a full playthrough of this game at the time and there don't seem to be any videos now either. There's only a few sample game play ones on YouTube. But I know what you mean, I also felt like quitting a few times while I was playing through this game. Try asking a friend or family member that might be better at puzzles and see if they can do it. Or keep trying different things until you find a solution. I know that this advice isn't much help, but it's the best that I can offer for now. Perhaps someone will eventually write a guide or upload a playthrough of this game sometime soon now that the translation for it was released.

Spoiler! :
I do know that you can skip the first puzzle if you press either Start or Select at that animal cave/dungeon place much latter on in the game. It was the marble one if I remember correctly...

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Congratulations on the release! I believe that I can safely say that out of all the projects that I've ever worked on, this was by far the most painful one that I've beta tested. The high encounter rate, tough boss battles, lack of money awarded from battles and especially those pain in the rear end puzzles, among other things, are definitely a deal breaker with this game for many potential new players. However, at least the script is well written and the historically based story line is interesting. The graphics and music were also well made.

Oh and hey, it's nice to hear from you again, Draken! How are things? It's funny that I had the exact same feeling about the news post. It was quite a task reading through that huge wall of text. Not that I'm criticizing or anything. Believe me, after playing through such a difficult game, I can't blame Wildbill for wanting to write such a speech at the release of... Or rather, victory over such a tough as nails game! If anything, a great giant banner should be displayed in celebration for such a feat!

Speaking of which, I wish that I could help with that tiger puzzle, but unfortunately it's been a while and I don't remember too much about how I solved each individual puzzle. Seeing as there's so many of them and each one gets progressively more difficult. I couldn't find a full playthrough of this game at the time and there don't seem to be any videos now either. There's only a few sample game play ones on YouTube. But I know what you mean, I also felt like quitting a few times while I was playing through this game. Try asking a friend or family member that might be better at puzzles and see if they can do it. Or keep trying different things until you find a solution. I know that this advice isn't much help, but it's the best that I can offer for now. Perhaps someone will eventually write a guide or upload a playthrough of this game sometime soon now that the translation for it was released.

Spoiler! :
I do know that you can skip the first puzzle if you press either Start or Select at that animal cave/dungeon place much latter on in the game. It was the marble one if I remember correctly...
Are you ready to be the second in the world to beat another new one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:08 am 
Site Admin

Sure, why not? I mean after being able to finish this game, every other SNES RPG will seem like a cakewalk by comparison. I'm guessing that this game might be Oni-II? Well regardless, if you need a beta tester, I'll be happy to help out with any project available.

And by the way, I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded the Shiki Eiyuuden translation to RHDN. However, I didn't make a news page for it either as was also the case with Super Shell Monster Story II. This was of course, so that these projects can be discovered and enjoyed by fans there too while avoiding any potentially pointless drama from the many snowflakes there. Though I wonder if I should even bother doing so anymore. I've been having quite a few confrontations lately with the lame moderation team there regarding their obvious double standards. At one point, I was planning on making a thread here called "why RHDN sucks" but decided not to since it would just be a huge waste of time that would also change nothing in the long run. I suppose that the best thing to do in such a situation would be to just ignore the many morons there and not waste my time with such trivial things. Although, I really don't like the idea of letting them "have the last word" or "winning" as some might put it, but such is life...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:36 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Sure, why not? I mean after being able to finish this game, every other SNES RPG will seem like a cakewalk by comparison. I'm guessing that this game might be Oni-II? Well regardless, if you need a beta tester, I'll be happy to help out with any project available.

And by the way, I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded the Shiki Eiyuuden translation to RHDN. However, I didn't make a news page for it either as was also the case with Super Shell Monster Story II. This was of course, so that these projects can be discovered and enjoyed by fans there too while avoiding any potentially pointless drama from the many snowflakes there. Though I wonder if I should even bother doing so anymore. I've been having quite a few confrontations lately with the lame moderation team there regarding their obvious double standards. At one point, I was planning on making a thread here called "why RHDN sucks" but decided not to since it would just be a huge waste of time that would also change nothing in the long run. I suppose that the best thing to do in such a situation would be to just ignore the many morons there and not waste my time with such trivial things. Although, I really don't like the idea of letting them "have the last word" or "winning" as some might put it, but such is life...
By the numbers (in order of importance)...

Not Oni-II. Wish it was but too many crashes. A friend of D-D may be able to address some of these. Waiting to hear. Meanwhile, I’ll be sending you an e-mail very soon.

You are one of us, and regarding our patches, any of us may communicate with players via other websites and whatnot.

Happy you didn’t start that discussion thread. Any of us are free to discuss anything here, of course. Personally, I like to at least make an attempt to get along with one and all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:09 am 
Site Admin

I promise Recca, you can be the 3rd (unless our teammate fixing the bugs plays it) in the world to beat Oni II in English. (If he plays it, you'd be the fourth.)

As for romhacking.net. I don't mind if you post our releases there. Be my guest. That isn't an issue. Not posting a news story is probably a good call though if you don't want to deal with the negativity that happens there. If you don't post a news story, a forum topic doesn't automatically get created. Not that they can't create one anyway, but at least you don't have to feel obliged to babysit it like you might a news story one. I'm not telling you not to post one though. I leave that up to you or whomever submits the news.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:42 am 
Site Admin

No worries, I was just taking a wild guess as to which of the current projects it might have been. To be perfectly honest, I don't know much about any of the current remaining games that are being worked on right now. If I had to pick one, Power of the Hired would be my preferred choice seeing as how I've been playing a lot of very interesting and well made Fire Emblem fan hacks from FEUniverse. There's always a point in the year when I feel like playing a lot of strategy based games such as Fire Emblem and Shining Force. There's actually a project being worked on there called "Bloodlines" that seeks to combine elements of both series into one. But, I may be getting a bit off topic here.

In any case, I'll be glad to help out with any project requiring a beta tester. I'm still grateful that you guys not only allowed me to work on many great translation projects such as those of Burning Heroes and Record of Lodoss War, but also made me part of the core group here as well. Many thanks once again, I'm looking forward to continuing our translation hobby in both English and Romanian. Before Wildbill decides to send me whatever game it might be, allow me to take another guess. I'm going to say one of the Shinseiki Odysselya games...? You don't have to say it here if you plan on keeping it a secret until its release. I simply enjoy seeing if I can actually guess the right one. Though my record isn't very good so far. I've only ever gotten Burning Heroes right before its announcement way back in 2009 when I first joined. Whew, I can't believe that such a long time has already passed by so quickly! I'll be here to continue helping out as long as this group still exists. So here's to many more years of hopefully still working together as a team! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I'm still plugging away at Power of the Hired, some bugs have cropped up slowing me to a crawl at times. I've spent over an hour tonight just investigating a bug on one text box. The good news is I was able to work around it. However, not all the bugs are being that friendly :( Don't worry, it is coming along.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:10 am 

Solution to the tiger puzzle:

Spoiler! :
Initial tile layout:
5 2 8
3 6 7
4 1

Eventual tile layout:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8

Steps:
7 down
8 down
2 right
6 up
1 up
7 left
8 down
2 down
6 right
5 right
3 up
1 left
5 down
3 right
1 up
4 up
7 left
5 down
2 left
6 down
3 right
2 up
5 up
8 left

disclaimer: I cheated using https://8puzzlesolver.com/ :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

umegamer wrote:
Solution to the tiger puzzle:

Spoiler! :
Initial tile layout:
5 2 8
3 6 7
4 1

Eventual tile layout:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8

Steps:
7 down
8 down
2 right
6 up
1 up
7 left
8 down
2 down
6 right
5 right
3 up
1 left
5 down
3 right
1 up
4 up
7 left
5 down
2 left
6 down
3 right
2 up
5 up
8 left

disclaimer: I cheated using https://8puzzlesolver.com/ :lol:
Thanks for posting the solution!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:12 am 
Site Admin

That's a nice useful website indeed. I wish that I would've known about it back when I was still beta testing this game instead of painstakingly taking the time to figure out how to solve each puzzle! :lol:

By the way Wildbill, I've sent you my final report for the game which I was currently beta testing. It definitely was a breeze to complete compared to Shiki Eiyuuden for sure. I have a feeling that just about every other RPG out there will now feel simple compared to this one, heh!