Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3X3 Eyes in Full Production
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Ahahaha. Those Terrytown Donuts were supposed to be universally famous after all :)

Spoiler! :
That line will always hold special meaning to me as its the one line we were accused of making up by so many people and was actually directly from the Japanese game.

BTW: Donut is how we spelled it in that particular case. Although this being Greece, I agree that Doughnut would be more appropriate (even though the spelling Donut is catching on world wide at this point.) That line can actually still be found in a screenshot around here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Ahahaha. Those Terrytown Donuts were supposed to be universally famous after all :)

Spoiler! :
That line will always hold special meaning to me as its the one line we were accused of making up by so many people and was actually directly from the Japanese game.

BTW: Donut is how we spelled it in that particular case. Although this being Greece, I agree that Doughnut would be more appropriate (even though the spelling Donut is catching on world wide at this point.) That line can actually still be found in a screenshot around here.
Hmmm... I wonder if Filler would let me clone that PS-G scene into 3X3. (I know... I'm bad...!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:29 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
kurisu wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
3X3 is a bit bumpy at times, but Bongo's crucial fix to the battle system is fueling the story along. Already been to five countries. I am finally enjoying battles. No countryside yet - just towns and dungeons, but this works.

What did he do? I didn't find the battle system itself that bad, it was just the stupid XP glitches near the end of the game that make the game almost impossible to finish without relying on other glitches or using cheat codes.
At my first battle in Greece, the screen froze as soon as the first enemy appeared. This was due to the insertion of the English. What I believe he did was find some way to re-direct the excessive bytes that the existing routine wouldn't contain. Presently, we don't have the English attributes inserting at level-up, but that doesn't stop advancing the project. If technical glitches occur late in the game, maybe we can smooth those later on down the road.

Ah, OK. The glitch I was referring to is something late in the game; I explained it in a different post and Bongo expressed interest in trying to fix it. I hope he can -- I wasn't a huge fan of this game but if that bug could be fixed it would at least be an average RPG. With probably more interest for fans of 3x3 Eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
kurisu wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
3X3 is a bit bumpy at times, but Bongo's crucial fix to the battle system is fueling the story along. Already been to five countries. I am finally enjoying battles. No countryside yet - just towns and dungeons, but this works.

What did he do? I didn't find the battle system itself that bad, it was just the stupid XP glitches near the end of the game that make the game almost impossible to finish without relying on other glitches or using cheat codes.
At my first battle in Greece, the screen froze as soon as the first enemy appeared. This was due to the insertion of the English. What I believe he did was find some way to re-direct the excessive bytes that the existing routine wouldn't contain. Presently, we don't have the English attributes inserting at level-up, but that doesn't stop advancing the project. If technical glitches occur late in the game, maybe we can smooth those later on down the road.

Ah, OK. The glitch I was referring to is something late in the game; I explained it in a different post and Bongo expressed interest in trying to fix it. I hope he can -- I wasn't a huge fan of this game but if that bug could be fixed it would at least be an average RPG. With probably more interest for fans of 3x3 Eyes.
Heh, a average new RPG is better than no new RPG at all, neh?!

Who knows what magic rabbit Bongo` may pull out of his hat next? He does feats like that all the time, two days after he declared them unfix-able! One trick with Bongo` is to say, "Don't try to do that any more. It's impossible." An hour, day, week or year later, he might deliver that very update right into your inbox.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 pm 

One other tip I have, that isn't really a glitch but just poor game design -- make sure you always keep a good stock of the bombs that Ling Ling sells. You need them at certain points in dungeons, and if you don't have enough, you have to buy a plane ticket to go all the way back to Hong Kong and then another one to return to your goal. These are pretty expensive, especially early in the game when money is hard to come buy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 am 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
One other tip I have, that isn't really a glitch but just poor game design -- make sure you always keep a good stock of the bombs that Ling Ling sells. You need them at certain points in dungeons, and if you don't have enough, you have to buy a plane ticket to go all the way back to Hong Kong and then another one to return to your goal. These are pretty expensive, especially early in the game when money is hard to come buy.
Heh, Ritchie set me straight on that! I've translated some Japanese websites since. One I read today had a player complaining that he got off into far-flung places and learned that after-the-fact.

Spoiler! :
I could have a townie in Hong Kong offer a "word-to-the-wise sort of tip. Then, a player could balance the tip with the other townie's declaration that "Plastique" was "excessive force for blowing up stones" (as he put it) and Yakumo's knowledge of Ling-Ling's well-known aggressive entrepreneurial tendencies!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 am 
Site Admin

Its a double edged sword. I personally wouldn't include tips that weren't originally there. I never did like dumbing down a game for other languages. It happened a lot in professional translations and never went over well. If they wanted a tip to be there, it would be there. If the Japanese players can deal with it, why can't us English speakers? It made many players upset when companies treated Americans and Europeans as less intelligent than Japanese players. Square was one of the worst offenders, actually turning down the difficulty of games for the US release back in the SNES days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:08 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Its a double edged sword. I personally wouldn't include tips that weren't originally there. I never did like dumbing down a game for other languages. It happened a lot in professional translations and never went over well. If they wanted a tip to be there, it would be there. If the Japanese players can deal with it, why can't us English speakers? It made many players upset when companies treated Americans and Europeans as less intelligent than Japanese players. Square was one of the worst offenders, actually turning down the difficulty of games for the US release back in the SNES days.
In 2018, I'm inclined to agree with you. Bongo` did, too, a few years back, when he groused about a certain SNES RPG port that was reconstructed into an incredibly easy play, relative to others (forgot the title - was it Mystic Quest? Did he say I might turn Mystic Ark into that once? That was downright insulting, hee-hee....!).

Filler's the coordinator, but my first inclination was NOT to buy the Plastique "bombs". The pitch sounded like "snake oil" in the publishing office, oozing from the mouth of Ling-Ling's toady. Still, I needed to zip around, writing the story, so I "Ritchied myself up"! I'll play 3X3 honesty during the polishing pass, but I already 'know" the score. That's what you give up writing games, the opportunity to sit in a recliner with nothing more than a new game cart or emulator, a clipboard and pen, a gamepad controller, and mug of cold beer!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm 

taskforce wrote:
Its a double edged sword. I personally wouldn't include tips that weren't originally there. I never did like dumbing down a game for other languages. It happened a lot in professional translations and never went over well. If they wanted a tip to be there, it would be there. If the Japanese players can deal with it, why can't us English speakers?

It should be noted that 3x3 Eyes is widely considered a kusoge (crappy game), and that this aspect is one of the frequent complaints about it. So it's not like this would be addressing something that Japanese players were completely fine with. I'm not necessarily saying this tip should be added, but if you did add it it wouldn't be because Americans are dumb, it would be because the original game design was bad.

Quote:
It made many players upset when companies treated Americans and Europeans as less intelligent than Japanese players. Square was one of the worst offenders, actually turning down the difficulty of games for the US release back in the SNES days.

In some cases the Japanese companies just wanted to make money off of hint guides, I think. For this game I've seen a bunch of players say that at the time they couldn't figure out where to go or how to beat the game so they had to buy the official hint guide, but it was full of errors and typos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm 

kurisu wrote:
In some cases the Japanese companies just wanted to make money off of hint guides, I think. For this game I've seen a bunch of players say that at the time they couldn't figure out where to go or how to beat the game so they had to buy the official hint guide, but it was full of errors and typos.

Yeah, I think this is one of the major reasons for the cryptic design of many games. Almost every game under the sun had a guidebook produced for it in Japan, which is why I don't think they have a centralized hub for the FAQs/walkthroughs of any kind (like GameFAQs for English speakers etc.) Still, I remember checking out some huge guidebooks for games that technically don't need them at all as well, so I guess this is more of a Japanese thing all things considered.

Anyway, great progress on this project so far! :)