Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hint for the Kraken fight
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 pm 

Don't read on unless you really need help!

-In another topic, some of you were not lying when you said to spread the levels around! (Thankfully I heeded the warning and did just that).
-Bunch up! After getting everyone in one big group I didn't really move at all. The tentacles came to me.
-The Kraken and his 8 tentacles are aggressive and hit hard! But you can put them to sleep with relatively high success. Attack anything that is not asleep and wait for the sleepy tentacles to wake up before striking.
-Have at least two main characters who can cast sleep. Cast it a lot. No big deal if one stays awake, that is the one you can go after first/next.
-Have at least two main characters who can cast heal. I basically spent every round casting it at least once, if not twice.
-Don't be afraid to have characters cure themselves, especially good after the Kraken has hit everyone on the field with his spell.
-Have at least one main character who can cast attack up. Two is even better!
-Have the two dragons and the diamond-shaped monster for this battle. With attack up, they can hit pretty decently.

-MAJOR take away: Bunch up, Cast sleep every round, if not twice/round, cast heal at least once per round, don't be shy to spend a round with everyone casting cure on themselves, attack up cast on the dragons and diamond-shaped monster!

Once it was just the Kraken I had the diamond-shaped guy one block away since he can hit from afar. The dragons took turns swapping to/from the one space right in front of the Kraken to hit him. Hit and run, repeat. Those are the only two spaces I could hit this beast from.

Post subject: Re: Hint for the Kraken fight
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

You've passed it but here is another tip for that fight.

If you take all of your characters and move to the bottom of the screen. The tentacles will back away from you and gather around the kraken allowing you to take a few rounds to heal yourself. Then all you have to deal with is the kraken spit attack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ah yes, the infamous spit attack that the kraken boss does every other turn. It certainly is annoying to say the least. Not only is there no way to avoid it, but on top of that, it also shaves off about half of all your units' HP! Getting through this fight was indeed the hardest part of the game for me when I was best testing. It also didn't help that I had only two summoned monsters at the time since I had thought that only Neina could use them until the very last chapter when I had discovered that all four characters could have two monsters each in battle. Knowing that certainly would've made quite a difference! Which just goes to show you, always check the menu options thoroughly in a game.

And Taskforce is right, retreating to the bottom right side of the screen to heal is indeed a good strategy and is also what I did too in order to beat this boss. If you're lucky, you may even trap a tentacle between your characters that is separated from the rest (heh, that sounds pretty funny without the context). It's a good way to try to isolate and defeat them one by one. By the way, how can a giant kraken live in a swamp anyway? How does it live and eat there? These types of bosses usually appear in games during ship levels when on the ocean or sea. Then again, in Shining Force II, I remember fighting one in a river, so I can't judge this game too harshly.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:45 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys!

Wow, I thought the Kraken fight was tough but the very next fight with Vampire takes the cake!

After losing twice I just grouped everyone in the middle and luckily his aggressiveness was his downfall, ran right to the center where everyone was. Put as many enemies to sleep as possible and sent weakened beasts to get a hit in before he countered to kill them. But served the purpose of opening up a space for someone else to come in and take more HP off. Basically just having a few sacrificial lambs, so to speak, to whittle his HP down.

I think I left at least 1/2 of the enemies but I assume that is typical. Anyone manage to kill all enemies on the screen?? (in battle 15)?

On to battle 16, so does this get even harder? People said this is a short game, how many missions does this game have?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

There's 18 chapters in total, so you're pretty close to the end now. In general, you should try to take out as many enemies as possible before beating the boss and ending the battle in order to level up as many units as possible. Once you have everyone you need at level 16 (the max), you can go ahead and speed play by just going after the boss units. This was a fun simple SRPG to play, too bad that it was so short though. I wish that they would've made it at least 20 chapters long. It seems a bit odd to me that they just decided to stop right after 18.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm 

Recca wrote:
There's 18 chapters in total, so you're pretty close to the end now. In general, you should try to take out as many enemies as possible before beating the boss and ending the battle in order to level up as many units as possible. Once you have everyone you need at level 16 (the max), you can go ahead and speed play by just going after the boss units. This was a fun simple SRPG to play, too bad that it was so short though. I wish that they would've made it at least 20 chapters long. It seems a bit odd to me that they just decided to stop right after 18.

Saved just before the final battle. Not everyone is level 16 but everyone is over level 10 and many are in the 14-16 range.

For the second to last fight, maybe tactics are not great BUT..

Spoiler! :
Well, battle 17 was not so bad. I just sent my four mages, along with two dragons and the diamond-shaped monster straight for the vampire while the other 5 beasts formed a barricade in the thin part of the passage to slow the other enemies down. They only cured each round unless there was an enemy with low HP. But they bought me enough time to get to the vampire and were useful as far as being sacrificial lambs so to speak. The mage who was most north had healing duties while the other 3 went further north, rinse repeat. Dragons and diamond taking out enemies who got too close.