Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Power of the Hired has entered Beta!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:31 am 
Site Admin

Power of the Hired is now in beta and should be releasing soon as it is not a long game. Caveats for potential future players. This game will not be as polished as we want. In fact, it will be even less polished than our other recently released games. The game has a known assembly issue causing text bugs to crop up now and again. They aren't super frequent but they are there. Plus the ending has a scrolling issue on the first few small screens of text but is readable. With that in mind, I plan to release this game as a v.75 patch once it exits beta. Fully playable but with bugs. If there is any other bugs I've forgotten to list here, they will be in the readme upon release. Please see it for further details. Below is an example screenshot of one of the more garbled screens. To be clear, 90% or more of the text works fine and does not look like this. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of the issue before they decide to play.

Attachments:
Power_00051.png
Power_00051.png [ 20.29 KiB | Viewed 10973 times ]

Post subject: Re: Power of the Hired has entered Beta!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

This game was a fun, but short playthrough. It would've been nice if it was a little longer and if a sequel existed. The colorful graphics and sprites really does seem as if it would've made for a good 90s era Shounen anime series back then. It's funny that we both made the same mistake of thinking that only the main character could bring two monsters into battle when we first beta tested this game. So in essence, only six units were used instead of the possible twelve. I guess this means that we accidentally played in a "hard mode" style. Even so, this game still shouldn't be too hard for experienced players of strategy RPGs.

By the way, what's with the magic system? Most characters had only a spell or two that they could only cast on themselves for some reason. I'm guessing that this is where the summoned monsters are supposed to come in, but I of course forgot to use any except for Neina. Are they supposed to stay next to a character to unlock more spells? Regardless, the game is still playable and enjoyable as is. Thanks for letting me beta test this one!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, magic changes depending on the monsters you take into battle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:58 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
While I was doing my part, I watched some Japanese videos of gameplay. In one scene, the fighters unleashed a fireball attack against the enemies. What we need is a guide to which combinations are able to do what and how to set it all up. The only clue I picked up in the dialogue was that magic-caster Neina could not get “separated” from the beasts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:48 am 

taskforce wrote:

Question about that.

So if I am Neina and I take the dragon and fairy into battle I have certain magic at my disposal, that I know. If they leave Neina's space I lose access to that magic, I know that too. BUT if two other beasts come into her space, do I gain new magic within the battle from the new beasts? Not sure if that question made sense. Hope it did. I am on battle 16 but never actually paid attention to that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

You've actually asked a good question. The answer unfortunately is magic only works between the master and their own summoned beasts. Think of the magic gained as a circulating energy or magic between the beast and its own master controlling them. If they get too far away the flow breaks and the flow only works with their own beast master. If someone else is the master, their is no conduit or channel for energy or magic to flow. About the best way I can describe to think of it. Who knows how the manual describes it. I guess the reason the beast themselves can't use it is a lack of intelligence maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 pm 

taskforce wrote:
You've actually asked a good question. The answer unfortunately is magic only works between the master and their own summoned beasts. Think of the magic gained as a circulating energy or magic between the beast and its own master controlling them. If they get too far away the flow breaks and the flow only works with their own beast master. If someone else is the master, their is no conduit or channel for energy or magic to flow. About the best way I can describe to think of it. Who knows how the manual describes it. I guess the reason the beast themselves can't use it is a lack of intelligence maybe.

Cool! Any hints on the last battle? About to start it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Get to the boss and knock him out, but that is easier said than done :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:51 am 

taskforce wrote:
Get to the boss and knock him out, but that is easier said than done :)

I know, lol! I lost once trying to push my way to him.

I am wondering if I should stand my ground and let the enemies come to me. But I worry that the portals release an unlimited amount of enemies? Do you know if there is a limit to enemies?

Thanks for the response!!