Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: Xak Released!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:06 pm 

Sucks to hear about all these issues. :/ Hopefully they can be fixed eventually. I don't mind waiting.

I hate to ask this, but... can anything be done about the hit detection when Latok swings his sword downwards? Something is off about it, because it's harder to hit enemies without getting hit yourself. This is my biggest gripe with the SFC version of the game, so it's got nothing to do with your patch. I wish there was a way to make hitboxes visible to see what's actually wrong (my guess is that Latok's sword hitbox is shorter than normally).

And since I'm here commenting, I'm curious to know why you went with the name Nill Baw instead of Nill Bow in your translation. Every other Xak fan-translation uses Bow, like Fell Bow in Xak II.

Why is that you can't register with 4-character usernames sometimes? MP83 is totally legit, yo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:59 am 

Recca wrote:
Awesome stuff, guys! I've been waiting to play this title for quiet awhile. It's great to see it finally released. I've only played a bit so far, but it looks very promising and the translation is top notch as usual. This may be one of those games that I might like to translate into Romanian as well. I haven't yet translated an action RPG yet, and this could be the one. Nicely done, once again guys!

Edit: I just found a game breaking bug early in the game. When you try to buy the second/medium armor, the shop keeper spews some random never ending nonsense that freezes the game completely. On second thought, maybe I'll stick with translating the games that I have inserters for now instead of taking on new projects. This game looks nice, but the map navigation is quiet a pain and there's a ton of level grinding involved. It might take too long if I were to translate and beta test this. I'll just stick with Galaxy Robo for now.

I'm kind of curious...which emulator are you using? I ask because, in my game, I bought EVERY single armor in the game (*except* the second one from the first merchant...I went on a levelling-up spree, and after I purchased everything else in the first town, I didn't have enough money to buy the second one). I DID, however, find the same armor at the second merchant, where I bought it with no problems. Thinking it might be a problem with the first merchant, I started a new game today (I use bSnes v0.54), levelled up until I was able to buy the 2nd armor at the first merchant, and...it works fine. I tried buying the armor both before dropping off Fray (injured girl) at the doctor's house, and after, and both times it worked normally. Or is it something that happened at a specific merchant? Sorry, I'm just curious, that's all...I know I bought the 2nd armor, just not at the right time, so I should have seen if there's a problem with that specific purchase.

Anyway, I'm not trying to imply you're wrong, just wondering if it's an emulator problem and why it's working fine for me (and I'm still using the v1.00 version of the patch). I do have a save right before entering the first shop, if it's useful for hunting out the problem, let me know & I'll send it along.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 am 
Site Admin

@MPPP83: Although I made attempts to keep character names pretty inline with their already established fan translations, I did not take such care for minor NPCs. In fact, the name "Baw" is simply something I kept from the original French translation, so really you'd have to ask 4ph why it was translated that way ;) . I really wish this series had gotten at least one official localization so that we could all agree on what the names should be in English. It's an easy change/fix, though, if I want to change the name.

As far as the hit box goes, it's something that Bongo` probably could change/adjust after quite a bit of work, but I'm not so sure it's something he'd want to change. Currently, he's pretty busy with whatever is going on in his real life (note the lacking official Xak patch, which probably could have been released a weeks ago had he had the time). On top of Xak, I've also been sending him a TON of work to be done on G.O.D., so I don't think it's a priority for him to work on something that was already in the official/original ROM.

@Bwah117: I'm pretty sure he's playing the WIP patch I've been sharing as I can confirm the bug. I really don't know what is causing the problem as there's nothing wrong with the text I'm inserting, so it's a deeper issue that requires Bongo`'s attention. That's the risk you take with fixing/editing things - you're never 100% it won't mess up something else in the ROM (though, on the positive side, it's quite rare)

Edit: I can also confirm the bug happening at the second merchant as well when buying armor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:56 am 

@Draken: Hmm...I see. So it's a rare occurrence...that's why I can't get it to trigger, then, since I'm *intentionally* trying to cause the 'glitch'. I've been trying for about an hour to get it to crash at the first merchant, just trying different things and messing with the System settings, and no luck. This probably means it would also happen on the real hardware, too...which still doesn't help, since it doesn't always happen. Perhaps a Save State from someone who has encountered this glitch? Then again, you're probably way ahead of me :D

Oh well, I'll skip the first merchant and try to buy the armor again at the 2nd merchant. I'll report back if there's any change.

EDIT: Never mind, I went ahead and downloaded the latest WIP patch, 105, and, sure enough, even trying to buy the second armor at the first merchant fills the text window with garbled characters. No wonder I couldn't find the problem...whatever is causing this, doesn't seem to be in the 1.00 patch, so no matter how hard I looked, I don't think I would have run into this glitch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 pm 

Wow, this sounds complicated. Much respect to those working hard to figure it out. So in the patch on the main page (1.00), there is, like, a walk through walls glitch, so to speak. In the fixed patch found in this thread topic, you get the armor bug...if I understand correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:43 pm 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Wow, this sounds complicated. Much respect to those working hard to figure it out. So in the patch on the main page (1.00), there is, like, a walk through walls glitch, so to speak. In the fixed patch found in this thread topic, you get the armor bug...if I understand correctly.

From what I've seen (anyone else correct me if I'm wrong), the first patch (v1.00) has a few misspellings, along with a minor glitch which allows you to walk in areas you're normally not supposed to be able to go to (apparently this becomes more obvious if you pause the game with the "Start" button). I was able to finish the game on v1.00, start to finish, without any problems, however, which you might be able to do with the v1.05 patch (as long as you don't buy the 2nd armor, and provided no other game-crashing problems surface).

If you really, really, want to play it ASAP, my advice would be to go with the v1.00 patch, since I know that one worked fine (I also ran into the boundary-breaking glitch on v1.00 in one or two rooms, but it never really became a problem - I got stuck once, but I reloaded my save from two minutes prior...worst case scenario = you get stuck and can't move, you CAN still teleport back to town using the Teleport magic). Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:15 pm 

Ya, I am at the underground cave. This is quite a hard game. I am at level 11 or 12 but the monsters (not the bats) are quite...hard. I feel like I should grind more but the ones I CAN beat give so little exp and the other ones kill you in so few hits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 pm 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Ya, I am at the underground cave. This is quite a hard game. I am at level 11 or 12 but the monsters (not the bats) are quite...hard. I feel like I should grind more but the ones I CAN beat give so little exp and the other ones kill you in so few hits.

True, but it gets easier as you level up (sort of). I mean, sometimes just going up one level makes a big difference, not to mention upgrading your sword/armor/shield (as you level up). Of course, to offset your higher strength and defense, each time you level up, you get LESS EXP for the same enemies (one enemy was giving me 11 EXP each, as soon as I levelled up, the EXP gain dropped to 3 each...when that happens, that's your cue to find a stronger enemy).

Sounds like you're on the right track there...grinding. Just make sure you're grinding the strongest enemies you can take on (make sure you save before you fight them...I realized this game is very unforgiving, that's why I was saving every few minutes). Aside from grinding, also make sure you've got the best sword/armor/shield, and that they're enchanted, since enchantment does help. One good thing is that max level in this game is only 25, so it won't take an eternity to reach. I tried to do everything in the game, and the final time reads 13:49 (hh:mm) on my save.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:57 am 

Hey, do you have any advice on the fire dragon? It is the "shooter" style boss. Ugh, I suck at shooter games. Is there a blind spot or something? I can never get to him with more than 1/2 my life, I always have less than 1/2, ahhh!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 am 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Hey, do you have any advice on the fire dragon? It is the "shooter" style boss. Ugh, I suck at shooter games. Is there a blind spot or something? I can never get to him with more than 1/2 my life, I always have less than 1/2, ahhh!

Oh yeah, I remember that section...it was...interesting. Hmm, the only advice I can give you is to replay it until you can anticipate the enemy pattern. It's not that difficult, well, compared to shmups like Raiden, and don't even get me started on Cave shmups...ugh. I think I only took 2-3 hits before I made it to the Dragon (which is kind of necessary, since the Dragon Boss starts out with a huge life bar), so my life was quite high...that having been said, when I finally beat him, I only had about 2-3 small bars of life left. Yeah, it's one of the hardest bosses in the game, but it also attacks in a simple pattern. The most important thing is to make it to the dragon taking the least hits possible along the way, because you're going to need a LOT of life to defeat the dragon. Edit: I forgot, shoot the dragon's head, not the tail. I'm not sure if shooting the tail hurts him at all or not, but I did notice his life bar dropping faster when my shots hit his head.

Also, not sure if you're aware of it, but another member here, SylarDean, has a Xak game guide over at http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/xak---t ... stage.html There's a lot of very useful info there, so check it out! I know it was invaluable when I was searching for all the "events" in the game. Good luck!

@SylarDean: I hope you don't mind my plugging your Xak sanctuary. It was really useful, and I think it can help a lot of new people with some of the difficult areas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next