Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: Xak Released!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Admin

In that case just "Doug" would be appropriate.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:31 am 

Spoiler! :
Bwah117 wrote:
SylarDean: Yeah, I was aware of the other definition (I actually looked it up prior to posting...there's few things I dislike more than someone who's trying to correct another, when they themselves are wrong). Based on the context (wall of ice), it seemed "impassable" was a better fit.

Also, no worries if you missed it when you tested it. We're only human, after all, and, on a project this big, it's only normal that some errors make it through...that's where extra pairs of eyes come in :)

That aside, I was going to start a new thread, seeing that I found another minor mistake, but since I'm already making this post, I'll just post it here. In Fearless Town, at the Weapons Shop, Oldman Doug says the following: "Sorry, but I can't in good conscience sell that too you when your level isn't high enough." It should read, "Sorry, but I can't in good conscience sell that TO you when your level isn't high enough." (Capitalization added to indicate part needing change, also, see attached pic). On that note, the shop owner's name...Oldman Doug. Should Oldman be hyphenated, or separated by a space? Like this, Old-man, or Old man, instead of Oldman. Unless Oldman is part of his name, which is not likely. Maybe that's just me nit-picking, though...it does, however, jump out at the player. You guys can decide whether to change it or not, I'm just noting things as I play :)

PS: Btw, I usually attach a small screenshot to better illustrate what I'm referring to. If you'd rather I didn't attach any screenshots, let me know (I did re-size them down, just in case).

I agree that TOO should be TO also. As for the name 'Oldman'.. I dont think it should be changed to father, as it'll make him sound like a priest 'Father Doug'.. HAHA! 'Old Man Doug' is probably how it should be BUT it could be a text space issue, there might not have been enough space on the code line for the text to appear as 'Old Man Doug', so it had to be put like that maybe? I duno.. i'm just throwing my thoughts out there about that issue.. it could be totally wrong though.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:03 am 

filler wrote:
In that case just "Doug" would be appropriate.

Actually, that is true, and I agree. I understand that, when translating, a balance has to be struck: some things can be translated exactly the same, whereas others just don't have an equivalent in the target language, so sometimes the editor(s) have to take liberties with the game script. My suggestion to change it to "Old man" or "Old-man" was only made because I don't know how closely you want to stick to the original (that, and also the fact that often, people view suggestions to change a word here, or a word there, as an attack on their work, and this is not what I'm trying to do) :) In any case, I do appreciate the fact that you've all been quite receptive, which I find refreshing.

I also stumbled onto a couple other things:

1) During Latok's dialogue with Bell-Well, Latok says, "Well, what am I supposed to do now. It's of the utmost importance I reach the shrine..." Since Latok is asking a question, I'd suggest adding a question mark after "Well, what am I supposed to do now." I suppose if Latok is just talking to himself, not really asking Bell-Well...still, it did seem a little off. Again, you guys make the call whether to add a question mark or not.

2) A little later, Bell-Well tells Latok about the shortcut, and says the following: "I believe that is was said to be found somewhere under the village of Normana." That should be changed to "I believe that IT was said to be found somewhere under the village of Normana." (Capitalization added, as usual, to indicate change, also, see pics).

Attachments:
bsnes 2017-01-02 00-11-27-83.png
bsnes 2017-01-02 00-11-27-83.png [ 46.25 KiB | Viewed 13573 times ]
bsnes 2017-01-02 00-12-14-19.png
bsnes 2017-01-02 00-12-14-19.png [ 45.43 KiB | Viewed 13573 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the keen eye everyone! Changes to be made in the eventual 1.01 update so far include:

-impassible fix
-Oldman fix
-dialogue with Bell-Well

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:59 pm 

Well, I think it's been noted my text checking whilst beta testing didnt go so great .. LMAO! In MY defense I DID find a major game breaking issue. I thought that all the others that were beta testing would have come across text issues, and looking at the credits .txt file I see I was the only one noted down there, so guess no one else did the testing? I can't believe I missed so many text mistakes though as I was really taking my time and reading everything slowly as I was making the sanctury guide early hours in the morning, well... NVM! there's always mistakes/bugs/issues found late into patch releases.. look at all the bugs and issues that was released yesterday for the new patch of 'Zelda: Parrallel Worlds'.. that game was released nearly 10 years ago and they STILL are releasing patches for it.. HAHAHA! but some are upgrades for the game like extra uses for items etc.. :)

@Bwah117 .. the team here at D-D are very pro when it comes to peoples views, reporting bugs/issues etc.. they take each persons feedback onboard and listen to what people think and then make changes to what works, you won't find them acting out in some childish way to someone's comment, be it good or bad, that's what makes D-D one of the best, IF not.. THE best Snes rom hacking group around. There's a few groups out there that have released some fantastic pieces of translations and some of them really wouldnt take onboard suggestions and stuff as well as D-D do, trust me.. I know, iv'e had a run in with one or two over reporting issues/bugs and what not. I'm pretty sure when I say this that D-D would more than likely agree.. they prefer people to report stuff to them, that's how they are and work as a team.

TOTAL PROS for their passion of rom hacking and translating.

Think i'd best stop now.. lol, people will start thinking i'm being payed for all this pro blowing.. LMFAO!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, if space is an issue, Elder could be used instead. This would also have the added benifit of being a far more respectful term. However, again since I don't have the context and wasn't involved, Old man could be an appropriate term, it just tends to be disrespectful. That very well could be the intention here.

And absolutely we want all bugs reported. Our goal is to turn out the best work we possibly can. We can't do that if you guys don't report it. Speaking of which, I still need to do that final patch for Iria and fix that bomb :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:42 pm 

@SylarDean: Regarding your text checking, not at all. Some of these mistakes are very subtle and go unnoticed by many people (case in point: I had been playing over 4 hours, visiting shops, levelling up, and only after another couple hours did I notice that "TOO" was used where "TO" was called for). This is especially true in shops in games...players tend to gloss over things *very* quickly, seeing shopping in the game as a chore which detracts from the game...in other words, they want to get it over with ASAP. I admit it, I'm guilty of it, and that may be why mistakes are sometimes missed in "Shop" screens. In any case, I think we're on the same side, and I hope you don't see my reports as "stepping on your toes." Regarding D-D's receptive attitude, I understand...I have been a regular visitor (anonymously) for several years now, so I've seen how they react to reports. The last time I tried reporting some mistakes to a different group, each of my points was, politely, shot down, and I immediately perceived a lack of interest in making any changes to his already completed work. Had he been a little more receptive, I would have continued, instead, I just walked away (I was never a part of that group, just another person making observations/suggestions, and it would have been pointless to continue looking for errors if they were not going to be corrected).

While on the subject of "TOO" and "TO" in the shop screens, I noticed that this also happens in another shop in the game, Sam's Weapons Shop in Normana (see pic). I *think* the game just uses the same string of text, so fixing one should fix them all, maybe. Just in case, I figured I'd post it anyway.

Attachments:
bsnes 2017-01-02 01-13-06-15.png
bsnes 2017-01-02 01-13-06-15.png [ 59.54 KiB | Viewed 13551 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 pm 

nah man, alls good, dont see you stepping on my toes at all, it's good to have other eyes looking at stuff whilst they play and reporting it, that's what D-D wants :)

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:28 am 
Site Admin

Yes, yes! Better to know about it and get it fixed than to arrogantly ignore the problem.

The shop typo will be seen at all shops as it is called from one specific string. No need to report on it further.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 am 

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself: I'm MP83 and I'm a Xak-holic. :) I've played and beaten pretty much all versions of Xak games ever released, with the exception of the X68000 and FM-Towns ports of Xak II (since they're pretty much just direct ports, the latter just having CD-audio music and voice-acting during the opening), as well as any Japan-exclusive mobile versions. Beside just playing and finishing all these games, I have also made portrait comparisons images for all of them, if anyone is interested seeing differences between different versions of the games (there's many interesting changes here and there).

I was really excited yesterday when I heard from a friend that the SFC version received an English fan-translation (already finished it with this translation too, hahah), because it's one of my most favorite version of the first game. It has some unique features not found from any other version, but still managing to stay true to the original, including all the nice little details. Here's what it has but other versions doesn't:

* Attack button / sword swinging system (the original had bumping, similar to Ys I-II)
* Mayor of Fearless gives you 700g instead of the usual 600g (so you can get one magic enhancement in the beginning, for instance)
* The overworld map has roads, so you can more easily navigate.
* Tower of Zeglard has unique tileset graphics (other versions just re-uses the underground cave tiles)
* Latok's armor changes looks visually right before the final battle

Anyway, I'm not here just to brag. I actually wanted to give my thanks to the people making this English translation possible, so... thank you very much. :) You made this version of the game even more enjoyable to experience. I also want to give my feedback on things to improve upon even more, because there's some issues, one which is pretty big:

* Inconsistency: Badou is once referenced as Badu in the intro.
* Whenever Latok gets an item, the "You've obtained..." message is broken up in two parts, with a button press required to see the second part, which then disappear quickly on its own (unlike in the original ROM)
* Typo: Pixie after you've defeated Zwoon, says: "That monster appeared suddenly and STARTING to attacking the village."
* When fighting with the elemental bosses, one of text boxes closes suddenly automatically, giving the player very time to react and most likely gets them killed (unlike in the original ROM).
* Typo(?): Rune when first meeting with Latok, says: "I know, Lakok!" (unless Rune is saying his name wrong on purpose, in which case I'd prefer Lacock or Ladork personally, as it would make it more clear)
* The item "gasmask" is written as one word for some reason.

And here's the big one I mentioned earlier:

* Glitch in the patched ROM: Whenever you pause the game, some blocks loses their collisions, letting you walk through them (the collisions return between screen transitions). I have made some animated GIFs to showcase this in action: http://imgur.com/a/dkqya

As far as I can tell, this glitch can't be used to sequence-break the game. I tried.

Why is that you can't register with 4-character usernames sometimes? MP83 is totally legit, yo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next