Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan-translated video of Hyper Iria on Youtube
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 pm 

* NOTE: Thanks to filler who linked this video of the game with D-D's English patch in the Bugs & Issues sub-thread. I just wanted to create a new thread for non-bug related reasons.

Not related to the bugs. But there are some good comments over at that Youtube link already. Someone by the name of Tchitchouan Inouane is hoping for Popful Mail to be translated while the video's poster, who will also write about THIS GAME (Hyper Iria) at Nintendo Life, also replied that he wants 'Legend of Galactic Heroes' to be fan-translated too. Since there were so many games of that anime-based series released on many older consoles and computers back then I'm sure he's referred to the sole SFC version. Very hard to find any info about it - it seems to be a space-sim strategy game, similar to the Super Robot Wars anime/game series. The Japanese name is 'Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu'. Two brief videos with no gameplay but lots of dialogue text.

So would the people in this D-D group be interested in looking into and translating either of the Popful Mail SFC or Legend of Galactic Heroes SFC?

* EDIT July 4, 2016: I've found this review of the SFC version of Popful Mail. It's a good one!

Last edited by ObiKKa on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fan-translated video of Hyper Iria on Youtube
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:59 am 

I found a gameplay footage of Legend of Galactic Heroes SFC by searching Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu in Japanese. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjjO--33SIc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:37 pm 

RetroGameFan9000 wrote:
I found a gameplay footage of Legend of Galactic Heroes SFC by searching Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu in Japanese. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjjO--33SIc

Nice. What a good find and congratulations on your first post here :D! Be sure to open up the description there to see more video links for it (SFC & FC versions). The battles somewhat remind me of Nintendo's Advance Wars series. This video was actually created in late March, 2016; almost 3 months ago!
The romhacking attempt required would be challenging but certainly not insurmountable, I'd imagine... However I think it's safe to assume that D-D will not be doing LoGH.

* LATE ADD (06/10/2016): Bumped into this video from SmiteSA by accident but it contains over 3 and a half very small minutes preview of the G.E.D. SFC game mentioned above...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqtmvXtbLig

Last edited by ObiKKa on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

The only thing I can say is "You sank my battleship!"

Yep, looks just like a Japanese text heavy game of Battleship. I doubt it is anything we would pick up anytime soon simply because it looks to be very text heavy and we're already plenty backed up with those types of projects.

Who knows what Bongo` will pull out of that magic hat of his though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:29 pm 

News announcement of a completed English patch for this game from Nintendolife, and also a quite decent review from them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 am 

A creator called 'SNES drunk', I love his videos, has made a new video review of Hyper Iria with your English patch from here. What I like about his channel is that he's recently begun doing all those special SNES game lookback or review videos, aka retrospectives; not one of those generic, umpteenth "Top 100", "Top 10" [Insert console games] that you always see on Youtube these days. So I think ya'll fans should subscribe to his channel too.

He loves the visual presentation of the game, though found the gameplay to be repetitive.

There are also a couple Longplay/Walkthrough videos of this game out there & a few shorter videos, which I wouldn't recommend to watch if you haven't played this one. But one of them says that it's based on the Zeiram OVA (or 'Iria: Zeiram the Animation') so we can try to find that on some anime streaming site online.

Post subject: Re: New HG101 retrospective for Hyper Iria!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 pm 

OMG! Just checked the various Twitter feeds from some usual retro-gaming sources and found this new retrospective on Hyper Iria has been uploaded by HG101 on September 6, 2016; THOUGH it was written by August 5, 2016!
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hyperi ... eriria.htm

Well, take a heavy heart here... The writer did find the game to be lacking and uneven though it did consist of some brief good moments.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:02 am 
Site Admin

Great find, but yeah, the review is rather scathing. "although the translation itself isn't that notable, either. It can either be too liberally translated in places or too literally, resulting in a lot of awkward dialogue." :(

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB