Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: *ALERT!* La Wares Players Seeking Game Info on the Web!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
This is why I always download patches from either the team site where it was made (like here or AGTP) or from RHDN. There's way too many dangerous sites on the internet these days. Even with a good updated anti-virus and malware program installed, it's still best to avoid taking risks with web sites that one does not know or usually visit.

I never understood what's wrong with people like these either. It's sadly quite common actually to see a bunch of mindless morons attacking fans on anime or gaming sites for no reason at all. It's puzzling why they don't choose to do something else with their free time rather than annoying random people. I would personally much rather spend time working on a hobby or passion rather than focusing on the things I don't like and designing hate pages. Not to mention that most of the time, these people don't even know what their talking about. Or even worse, they hate good things, but instead prefer something dark and disturbing. Oh sure, they don't like RPGs where you have to read and plan your moves intelligently, but instead prefer mindlessly shooting innocent people like the cowards they are in FPS games... It's downright evil. There's no other way to describe it.

In our case, it's a bunch of uneducated, mindless ultra liberal zombies that blindly follow modern trends to attack any and all conservative people without even knowing or wanting to hear what their stance is. Instead of getting thanked for the free and honest work we provide for fans, we get horribly criticized by people who even refuse to even sample our translations. There is a strong indication that this has less to do with our work, and more about politics. Seriously, can't these people debate somewhere else like a news sites and leave fan sites out of this? And what's wrong with trying to protect our projects from bootleggers? I guess this is why RHDN chose to get rid of their general discussion section. Though, I think that's a bit extreme.

As for Byuu, he's always been melodramatic and opinionated. It's no wonder he got banned from RHDN. This guy seriously needs to learn both how to relax and respect other people's views. I remember back in the day, he used to annoy the Zsnes project members like crazy. Even now, he's always talking about how bad it is and why people still use it. Well, that's because it still works perfectly fine with about 90% of SNES games and the rest can be run well with Snes9x. I never liked his Bsnes emulator, but I never complained everywhere on the internet like he does. It's slow running and there's no save states because he feels "it's cheating". So if something comes up, you can't quickly save and quit, but rather are forced to play until you reach a save point in the game. Yeah, nice move there, Byuu... It's the same with .IPS patches, why does he care so much if other people still use them? They still work well with older games like NES and SNES ones.
As previously, Recca, you nailed everything 100%. The thing that gets me is these types who present themselves as some sort of self-appointed "translation police" who presume to tell the rest of us dumb peons the right way and wrong way to pursue the hobby. I call such tendencies "megalomania".

As for this Byuu fellow, isn't he the one who visited our site a few years back when we released Mystic Ark and convinced Bongo` to convert his insertion system so our ROM would be compatible with "real hardware"? I recall that after we did that a patched MA game became very fragile if we made the slightest change in certain areas. I still don't know what we or anyone else gained by that, but I've seen written evidence from around the world that our Mystic Ark is the preferred version, so I guess the game played fine after that.

Well, regardless of anyone's malicious thoughts and actions, I wish everyone success who is engaged in translating Japanese video games, even those who can't handle a bit of political satire, hee-hee... Shoot, I've even got a few snowflakes like that in my own family circle, but I don't tease them too much. I actually feel sorry for their... umm... fragility. Now, I'm going to quit yammering about this silly subject and get my donkey back to work!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
As for this Byuu fellow, isn't he the one who visited our site a few years back when we released Mystic Ark and convinced Bongo` to convert his insertion system so our ROM would be compatible with "real hardware"? I recall that after we did that a patched MA game became very fragile if we made the slightest change in certain areas. I still don't know what we or anyone else gained by that, but I've seen written evidence from around the world that our Mystic Ark is the preferred version, so I guess the game played fine after that.

Yes, that was him. He was correct, though. Our patch did need to be fixed to work with more than just Zsnes. It was, in my opinion, a pretty big oversight on our part not to ensure the game would work on actual hardware when it was released. No problem, though, as it's all fixed up now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Yes, that was him. He was correct, though. Our patch did need to be fixed to work with more than just Zsnes. It was, in my opinion, a pretty big oversight on our part not to ensure the game would work on actual hardware when it was released. No problem, though, as it's all fixed up now.
Yep, maybe if Bongo` had hacked the game from that starting point, the fixes would have been coded a little differently along the way, and the end result would not have resulted in such a fragile patch to update. As I recall, MA contained embedded control codes, and that made reverse-engineering it all the more vexing. Afterwards, we never seemed to have too much difficulty with any projects being fragile, except I recall Bongo` got a little put out with some of the trickier challenges in Chaos Seed. Those, however, probably had nothing to do with making CS compatible with real hardware.