Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: La Wares - English V1.00 Released - Report bugs here...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

How he "got" the fan translated version... I almost posted on that channel. I mean the VERY FIRST GAME is Hyper Iria! :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

We don't like having to put that in there either, but the splash just wasn't cutting it as a deterrent anymore. It was also in Princess Minerva as well at the beginning. I don't mind if someone sold these at cost, but none of the guys doing this anymore do it at cost. They're all pretty much trying to make a profit on the hard work of others that is given away for free. I'd get used to it, it will probably be in future projects as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome news on the release! Hopefully, we'll have many more years of fun translating and releasing great classic games like these. :)
Bongo` wrote:
How he "got" the fan translated version... I almost posted on that channel. I mean the VERY FIRST GAME is Hyper Iria! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, and I love how they never even mentioned not even once what group made the fan translation or where they even got it from. Not only are people who sell fan translated games making an unfair profit off of people who worked hard to create these patches for free, but they're also creating a very negative image for us. The last thing we want would be for these video game companies to start demanding that fan sites such as this one is taken down because they think we're making profits off their original work. Which of course isn't true for any corporate worker (or salaryman as they're called in Japan) who may be reading this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaryman -> In case anyone was interested on reading about them.

By the way, I noticed that La Wares is still under "Ongoing" on the front page instead of "Completed".

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
I did post a comment asking MJR and Reggie to follow-up, denouncing repros made with fan translations against the wishes of the translators. I may follow up with private messages to each of them.

EDIT:
Recca wrote:
By the way, I noticed that La Wares is still under "Ongoing" on the front page instead of "Completed".
Also, don't forget to submit the patch on RHDN.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:13 am 

I have very little free time right now, but I played a ways through LaWares. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I erased my save-state by choosing 'save' instead of 'load'. But I thought I would offer a little feedback I gathered along the way. Like all the games I've checked out by the DD group, everything seemed quite professional - among the best fan translations I've seen. Therefore, the few things I made notes on are quite nit-picky. HERE is a Rich-Text document.

The hacking seems top notch. Font is nice, text spacing is never cramped. There is a notable lag when going into item/magic menus, but I'm fairly sure that was in the original game.

The translation - very good too. I like that characters have somewhat distinct 'voices'. In fan translations, I often see individual character 'texture' obliterated- ending up with all characters sounding the same.

On the subject the Repro notice: I'm sure the topic has been discussed to death, and that the people here know far more than I, but as someone who has no intention of ever buying a Repro, I felt significantly put-off by the intro. Like I was being chastised for someone else's bad behavior.

In storytelling in general, the opening is the significant moment when you have a chance to grab your audience, lure them into the story. This seems a poor place to insert such a message.

The translations I have done have been 'used and abused' as much as any, but I knew that would be the case when I released them. The world will always have its amoral parasites, but they are not my audience.

Like any tool, a warning message is only useful if it accomplishes its goal. Is there any evidence whatsoever that such a message will prevent Repro sellers? I would seriously doubt that anyone buys a Repro without knowing its a pirate copy. As such, buyers are not victims, but participants in the 'crime'.

Developers are not stupid. They know that translation teams aren't participants in the pirated distribution of their games. As a matter of fact, the developers I've talked to are flattered and grateful for the free publicity which fan translations bring.

So the question remains, what does such a message really accomplish? I don't mean that I have an answer. I just hope you will be mindful that the placement is off-putting to honest players, and measure the benefit against the cost appropriately.

Anyways, I will play more as I have time. Thank you all for the great job!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 am 
Site Admin

TheRabbit wrote:
I have very little free time right now, but I played a ways through LaWares. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I erased my save-state by choosing 'save' instead of 'load'. But I thought I would offer a little feedback I gathered along the way. Like all the games I've checked out by the DD group, everything seemed quite professional - among the best fan translations I've seen. Therefore, the few things I made notes on are quite nit-picky. HERE is a Rich-Text document.

The hacking seems top notch. Font is nice, text spacing is never cramped. There is a notable lag when going into item/magic menus, but I'm fairly sure that was in the original game.

The translation - very good too. I like that characters have somewhat distinct 'voices'. In fan translations, I often see individual character 'texture' obliterated- ending up with all characters sounding the same.

On the subject the Repro notice: I'm sure the topic has been discussed to death, and that the people here know far more than I, but as someone who has no intention of ever buying a Repro, I felt significantly put-off by the intro. Like I was being chastised for someone else's bad behavior.

In storytelling in general, the opening is the significant moment when you have a chance to grab your audience, lure them into the story. This seems a poor place to insert such a message.

The translations I have done have been 'used and abused' as much as any, but I knew that would be the case when I released them. The world will always have its amoral parasites, but they are not my audience.

Like any tool, a warning message is only useful if it accomplishes its goal. Is there any evidence whatsoever that such a message will prevent Repro sellers? I would seriously doubt that anyone buys a Repro without knowing its a pirate copy. As such, buyers are not victims, but participants in the 'crime'.

Developers are not stupid. They know that translation teams aren't participants in the pirated distribution of their games. As a matter of fact, the developers I've talked to are flattered and grateful for the free publicity which fan translations bring.

So the question remains, what does such a message really accomplish? I don't mean that I have an answer. I just hope you will be mindful that the placement is off-putting to honest players, and measure the benefit against the cost appropriately.

Anyways, I will play more as I have time. Thank you all for the great job!
Quick response: quite valid argument to have Lady Zhoma stay on topic. Maybe we'll discuss that internally. Right now I can't think of a good place to shift it. The game rumbles along, gaining momentum steadily until "grind time" at the end. There, such a message might be even more vexing.

Glad you like what you've played so far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:32 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Awesome news on the release! Hopefully, we'll have many more years of fun translating and releasing great classic games like these. :) By the way, I noticed that La Wares is still under "Ongoing" on the front page instead of "Completed".
Don't see why not. Nearly everyone supports what we do, not that anything we do is relevant to a handful of sourpusses who don't respect our freedom of expression. As you mentioned before, you should incorporate Bongo`'s hacking upgrdes into your Romanian patch.

Now, off to fix that "Ongoing" flag you mentioned...

Edit Note: Whoa, I'm not smart enough to know how to move the La Wares Home page to the "Finished" category.

If someone wants "exotic" patches in lieu of the IPS format, I could use some help there, too. I never did that before, either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am 
Site Admin

TheRabbit wrote:

The goal isn't for a message like this to stop a repro maker in their tracks, make them go "Whoa, I better not do that", and stop selling their shitty bootleg. The goal is to make our intentions known, and for that to reach a wider audience.

It's one thing for a collector to buy a repro thinking it's not so bad because the fan translation is out there for free, and another thing for them to buy one, knowing full well the fan translators are against the sale of their work.

Maybe the message doesn't even make it into the repro, but we've still made our intentions clear. It's like putting locks on your doors. A locked door doesn't keep someone out, but it indicates your intention to keep them out. Do you not lock your door because lock picks and crowbars exist?

Yes, a message on the Mona Lisa saying "not for resale" would be a distraction, but I bet da Vinci would have considered putting one there if bootleggers were making money off of copies of it.

Also, if you feel put-off by the message, think for a moment how put-off we feel by people making money off our unpaid fan work. Who has more right to feel put-off in this situation?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 am 
Site Admin

If just two or three people took notice of this, reported the bad transaction to their credit card company, it would make a difference. The only way anything will change is to make them lose sales. After the fact is the best way to do that, this way they're out both the unit they sold and the money. I'm sorry that it makes you players doing the right thing feel bad, but believe me the beginning of the game is the absolute best place for this. The last thing you want is this shoehorned in somewhere in the middle putting the brakes on a story you're invested in at that point. At the beginning you've done nothing so there is nothing to interrupt. Yeah, I agree it does put a damper on the beginning of the story. And if it turns any players off, I do apologize. If you have a better solution, we're always listening. We're always ready to listen to good ideas. However, we just can't stand to set and watch 100's of quality man hours that we spend on these projects that we do not want any compensation for--and nobody else should receive compensation for--line some shysters pockets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Edit Note: Whoa, I'm not smart enough to know how to move the La Wares Home page to the "Finished" category.

If someone wants "exotic" patches in lieu of the IPS format, I could use some help there, too. I never did that before, either.

Both taken care of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next