Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: La Wares Enters Beta Testing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Never mind, it does happen. It didn't happen the first time strangely.

It looks like the game is locating you wrong on the map after dying and then starting new. Bongo` might be able to fix this but I wouldn't hold my breath.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Been kicking around the names for the three most powerful weapons. Actually, they've bothered me from the start. You have swords and a javelin, then you get down to the supreme weapon that costs 30,000. It's a triple-something, and the one before it is a double something. The third to most powerful (and expensive) weapon is simply - a club, followed by what are basically double and triple short staffs or clubs tied or chained together. A little research confirmed the translations and produced pictures.

As Recca feels, I was underwhelmed from the beginning and even less impressed when research confirmed wooden staff or club weapons as accurate. However, in lieu of fudging them up to blade weapons permanently, I found a more legitimate way to sex-them-up somewhat.

The third to most powerful weapon is now a flail. A flail is like a staff or club, sometimes a pole with something attached to it that you use to pivot-whack on an enemy. That whacker section may be partially metallic with sharp edges, even spiked.

The second to most powerful weapon, the 2X or bi-club is none other than a nunchaku, fairly familiar to RPG players. These may be designed with metal tips and possibly even spiked at the tips.

Finally, the translation of a triple-club or staff may be abbreviated to "triplet", so I'm using that somewhat ambiguous name because it sounds potentially more imposing than 3X-staff, or whatever translation I used initially.

Finally, a picture of the Triplet weapon from the La Wares manual sort of seals the deal. No way can this be a blade.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Shouldn't Triplet just actually be Trident? Tridents were not just mythological weapons, they've been used for fishing and weapons since at least the 17th century.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Shouldn't Triplet just actually be Trident? Tridents were not just mythological weapons, they've been used for fishing and weapons since at least the 17th century.
That Trident-looking weapon in the manual picture (3rd down - 1920G) actually translates to (and we already call that one) "Javelin" (if it's not the "Pike"), but the weapon 4th down in the picture (definitely a Triplet or Triple Club) is the 30,000G most powerful weapon with a picture that matches the profile of the Triplet at the Japanese website.

I could use a complete list of weapons and costs. Pictures of all of them would be nice, too, but the manual picked only four of them at random. Whoever designed the weapons for the original game was a either bit sloppy, or to save money they may have had the Tadam Fruit guy sort of slap the arsenal together on the side.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:

I found it. Here are the list and costs, etc. (and whole website machine translations unchanged for this purpose but no pictures)

Note: The 1920G weapon (that looks like a trident) they did name a pike. The 7600G weapon came up with "Woodpecker" again, but further research produced the club family. Maybe "Woodpecker" is Japanese slang for a certain wooden bludgeoning device. *Shrug*

Here are the 12 weapons in the same order as named in our patch:

Knife
Dagger
Short Sword
Halberd
Long Sword
Rapier
Spear
Pike
Javelin
Flail
Nunchaku
Triplet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

K, honestly that whole game screamed made on the absolute cheapest budget possible. I'm not saying its a terrible game as it certainly wasn't, it just wasn't that well made. I'd say the same thing about Princess Minerva. The difference is that I think La Wares was made even cheaper on the whole.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:05 pm 

taskforce wrote:
K, honestly that whole game screamed made on the absolute cheapest budget possible. I'm not saying its a terrible game as it certainly wasn't, it just wasn't that well made. I'd say the same thing about Princess Minerva. The difference is that I think La Wares was made even cheaper on the whole.

The main issue is that it's very short and there's little strategy to the battles usually - especially the mecha battles, where you can just spam the attack button pretty much. Magic is also pretty useless, except for the healing magic - there aren't any status ailments also, IIRC. The final bit is also balanced in a sorta weird way, where you need to grind a lot to get the correct levels/money for the best gear, otherwise you will get destroyed no matter what. I liked the story and the overall atmosphere though. Still, wish there was at least some more meat on the bones, even as with PM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Here are the 12 weapons in the same order as named in our patch:

Knife
Dagger
Short Sword
Halberd
Long Sword
Rapier
Spear
Pike
Javelin
Flail
Nunchaku
Triplet

I've run across this before, but I've never seen it referred to as "triplet". This is the EN Wikipedia page I'm familiar with:

I've also called this "3-piece nunchakus" before. There's nothing wrong with triplet per se. Just want to put some alternatives out there. If we want something really cool sounding, that "coiling dragon staff" isn't half bad.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:32 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
I've also called this "3-piece nunchakus" before. There's nothing wrong with triplet per se. Just want to put some alternatives out there. If we want something really cool sounding, that "coiling dragon staff" isn't half bad.
"Coiled Dragon" fits the available space. Perfect. At 30,000G, they oughta give ya 3 Coiled Dragons! At any rate, there be dragons to slay in the final caves, so the final most powerful weapon name is appropriate. With no pictures handy, most players aren't going to realize their 30,000G weapon with the ominous-sounding name is just a pile of sticks!

I also uncovered a bug testing everything. When you switch to Short Sword and back to Coiled Dragon again, you get "ghost letters" from the previously installed weapon with a longer name, and the red highlight color bleeds. I don't know why anyone would re-install a short sword, then go back to the Coiled Dragon, but these glitches would occur if you did.

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 am 
Site Admin

Saw that earlier when I was editing for you, and i had to change some item names. This means that the item is one (or more) letters too long and needs to be edited down. Sorry :(