Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: La Wares Enters Beta Testing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:13 am 
Site Admin

Draken, Bongo`, and Taskforce have given the game a thorough going-over and sent it back to me.

Those 2 or 3 (or 4) folks with whom we already spoke who volunteered to do the honors (and have tested for us previously), please PM me with you e-mail addies, and we'll get this thing rolling.

We have not set a definite release timetable. Naturally, part of this decision will depend on how soon we wrap up the full testing phase.

Post subject: Re: La Wares Enters Beta Testing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Here are some of my preferred guidelines for testing:

For typos, repeated words, text overruns, punctuation, misspelled words, etc., these are usually easy fixes. Please send me a screen shot and a one-liner note to point me to the area of your concern. I can do a global search and lock right in on the affected string(s) in my file structure.

For game freezes, locks, catastrophic crashes, and other major problems, I would like a graphic plus an srm save just prior to the problem, so I can call up that point and re-create the issue quickly.

We can save virtually anywhere in La Wares, even in dungeons just prior to boss battles.

If you get into the habit of saving frequently, especially just before boss battles and entering towns - and you do encounter freezes and/or text scrambling - normally you can simply reload the game from your srm save just prior to entering the new area, and the problem will have vanished. We think we fixed all of those kinds of issues that we noted previously, but ya never know!

You can send me recommended fixes right along, in groups, or all at once - whatever works best for you. This isn't a super-long RPG, and the game structure is not all that complicated.

Appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 am 
Site Admin

Okay, two beta testers are active now.

I forced myself to re-learn Mantis, so that will work for me just fine now. I don't know why I was acting such the Luddite on that ding-dong thang! One little hiatus, and I data-dumped Mantis right outta my haid!

SylarDean, I know you're busy with university. Up to you on La Wares testing. I'll get you updated with SSMS-II biz-ness as soon as I can. LW has my attention at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 am 
Site Admin

I can't offer anything but moral support, but I'm glad to see this moving into beta. I hope it goes smoothly and results in a great finished product.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am 

filler wrote:
I can't offer anything but moral support, but I'm glad to see this moving into beta. I hope it goes smoothly and results in a great finished product.

Well, at the very least you can be sure that playing through this game won't take too long; it's maaaybe half the length of Princess Minerva (very likely less), if we're being very generous. ;) Still, it's a quick and pleasant romp through the Wares Blade world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:57 pm 

Yay! I'm thrilled to see that both La Wares and Aretha 1 seem to be heading toward the finish line :)

I only want to say that, if any kind of help is needed, I volunteer myself. Perhaps I can't be of much help, but if there's something in the debugging procedure which is specially boring and/or time-consuming and I feel I can be able of doing it, I'm willing to, really. That's the least I can do :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
Yay! I'm thrilled to see that both La Wares and Aretha 1 seem to be heading toward the finish line :)

I only want to say that, if any kind of help is needed, I volunteer myself. Perhaps I can't be of much help, but if there's something in the debugging procedure which is specially boring and/or time-consuming and I feel I can be able of doing it, I'm willing to, really. That's the least I can do :)
Did you want to be the fourth beta tester for La Wares? If so, PM me a contact e-mail address. I'll get it out to you in several hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Beta testing is going well.

As I put out to the three testers, I have taken nearly all of their suggestions. One change I just did on my own, after Recca suggested adding "Oasis" to Caldarra because similar settlements in the desert featured "Oasis" endings to their names, was lengthen the name of the place called just "La". This should alleviate the confusion of players believing that a bug in the game is truncating a place-name.

The only major bug is a game crash when you die in battle. That is currently being worked around by simply resetting and starting from your most recent SRM prior to "Game Over".

Another possible bug is the way music keeps playing when the game is finished and the screen fades to black. We haven't traced it down, but if this happens in the Japanese game, we probably can't change it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am 
Site Admin

That is odd. I died in battle and the game did not lock up when I was playing.

EDIT: Yeah, just tested it, it does not lock up at all on me. Maybe this is emulator related?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:02 pm 

taskforce wrote:
The is odd. I died in battle and the game did not lock up when I was playing.

It only seemed to happen to me when you pick the "Start" option after dying. Everything seemed fine with loading. I don't think it's a translation-related issue, the same thing was happening to me in the Japanese version. Maybe it's got something to do with the emulator (SNES9X v1.54). It does happen every single time though, in my case.

EDIT: Same thing happens on ZSNES. Everything else seems to work, apart from that one command.

Last edited by MariusB on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.