Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bug Reports and Issues
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Recca is making outstanding progress in the formatting department, but he reached an impasse yesterday.

At an advanced point in the game, Zsnes appears to be incompatible with the hack. It's a cut-scene with a blue statue blocking an entrance in the "Buried Ruins of La" (originally "Underground" instead of "Buried").

I made a ZSNES save in the ruins, loaded the SRM in SNES9x V143, and entered the scene. It ran perfectly for me up to a battle with the suddenly animated blue statue (But I can't defeat the rascal!). Unless we can find a fix, it appears ZSNES will not work flawlessly with our future patch.

Other issues noted:

1. When "Continue" is selected after "Start", player levels read "0".

2. If the player is defeated in battle and starts a new game, he appears in Kitan, but can't do anything. Everything is garbled and the game remains unplayable until it is reset. (direct statement from Recca)

3. Some monster names are still appearing in Japanese, including the blue statue boss in the Buried Ruins of La.

4. Place names at the top. Probably out of the question, but we could really benefit by having two lines to work with (if needed) instead of just one.

Recca is really flying with this. If switching to SNES9x V143 to get around the blue statue works for him, he may finish with the formatting this weekend.

If I left out anything, Recca, you may add it to this thread. Things are easier for me to get to quickly on this board. My e-mail inconveniently pumps into independent mail browsers in my windows 8.1 phone and an Asus tablet, while I do my story work in desk tops.

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports and Issues
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:44 pm 

Do the same thing happen in the original/unpatched version ?
Zsnes is really outdated so maybe the problem is the emulator an not the patch.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

piau9000 wrote:
Do the same thing happen in the original/unpatched version ?
Zsnes is really outdated so maybe the problem is the emulator an not the patch.
No one has tested that extensively yet, but it's a logical next step. I got as far as the battle with the blue statue, couldn't beat it, so I returned my focus to Galaxy Robo.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 am 

I dunno, but this seems like a reason why you guys shouldn't use zsnes to do any testing on. It might have the nostalgia factor going on, but it's a relic of a bygone era and not very reliable.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:38 am 
Site Admin

No, the original Japanese version works fine in Zsnes. Whereas, the freeze point in our English translation also occurs in Snes9x version 1.51. Therefore, I believe that it's a problem with our current English version and not the emulator. Zsnes works perfectly fine with La Wares, I tested it with both the Japanese and English versions of the game.

I have a feeling that there's more translated text in the various banks than the game can handle. Just look at the ErrorMSG.txt file. After patching the game, it reads:
"C:\Romhack\trans\LW\Enemies\EN_020.bin did not compress completely. [ BYTES OVER: 84 ]"

A number of other enemy texts also contain this message. Rearranging sentences and cutting down small bits of text are not enough to fix this problem apparently. Perhaps Bongo` might be able to think of a fix for this without reducing large amounts of text.

Aside from using the Japanese version to play past this boss, there's no way to continuing beta-testing in English until it's defeated.

Edit: Okay, this is the strangest thing... I used my .srm save with the Japanese version of the game to enter the La dungeon and saved. After that, I used the save again with the English version and everything works fine. I can open chests and view the cut-scene without the game freezing. This problem is definitely because of the patching process and not because of the emulator (both Zsnes and Snes9x work fine with La Wares). We need to fix this problem or tell everyone to use the Japanese version to skip over that freeze point, haha!

Edit 2: Turns out that right before a freeze point occurs, the game's text boxes corrupt. If you save using a .srm save when that happens and load the game, everything works fine afterwards. There's a problem with some of the later dungeons it seems. I wonder why?

Edit 3: By the way, I just noticed that Shiffon's name appears as Chiffon on the battle menu. Is there any way to fix this? I couldn't find where to change his battle screen name anywhere in any of the text files.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
No, the original Japanese version works fine in Zsnes. Whereas, the freeze point in our English translation also occurs in Snes9x version 1.51. Therefore, I believe that it's a problem with our current English version and not the emulator. Zsnes works perfectly fine with La Wares, I tested it with both the Japanese and English versions of the game.

I have a feeling that there's more translated text in the various banks than the game can handle. Just look at the ErrorMSG.txt file. After patching the game, it reads:
"C:\Romhack\trans\LW\Enemies\EN_020.bin did not compress completely. [ BYTES OVER: 84 ]"

A number of other enemy texts also contain this message. Rearranging sentences and cutting down small bits of text are not enough to fix this problem apparently. Perhaps Bongo` might be able to think of a fix for this without reducing large amounts of text.

Aside from using the Japanese version to play past this boss, there's no way to continuing beta-testing in English until it's defeated.

Taskforce: Tell us you're not having tea with Dorothy and Toto in Kansas!

Edit: Okay, this is the strangest thing... I used my .srm save with the Japanese version of the game to enter the La dungeon and saved. After that, I used the save again with the English version and everything works fine. I can open chests and view the cut-scene without the game freezing. This problem is definitely because of the patching process and not because of the emulator (both Zsnes and Snes9x work fine with La Wares). We need to fix this problem or tell everyone to use the Japanese version to skip over that freeze point, haha!

Edit 2: Turns out that right before a freeze point occurs, the game's text boxes corrupt. If you save using a .srm save when that happens and load the game, everything works fine afterwards. There's a problem with some of the later dungeons it seems. I wonder why?
Ah, the sweet mysteries of re-coding. I go through this drill frequently, test, experiment, put together a report with graphics and saves, and RAR/ZIP the package to Bongo`.

Short time later, he'll send an update and say one of the following:

1. Here you go!
2. Fixed!
3. Oh, I introduced a nasty bug, but it's gone now!
4. Bah! I left the debugging code in the file!
5. You have plenty of space now!
6. I hate this game!
7. The expanded buffer may slow down the speed.
8 The programmers introduced some really stupid code!
9 I'm never touching this *bleeping* game again!

The problem completely disappears and fades into the distant past so quickly, you begin to wonder if it was a figment of your imagination!

Taskforce: Tell us you're not having tea and crumpets with Dorothy and Toto in Kansas!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:

I'm willing to bet that this is what's causing problems, especially when you trace which txt files make up EN_020.bin. If it's the txt file which contains the bit of dialogue that is crashing the game, then your dead on.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Those enemy files are compressed graphics of enemy's names ( in enemy.txt ). The are graphical
and must be fixed. The names of those creatures may need to be shorten. In most cases they cannot be. Sad part is, I can't move those files to a new block nor do I wish to try and redirect them because nothing is linear and the compression code is whiny and WILL cause major crashes when altered.
Those files have NOTHING to do with the game's text.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:35 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Those enemy files are compressed graphics of enemy's names ( in enemy.txt ). The are graphical
and must be fixed. The names of those creatures may need to be shorten. In most cases they cannot be. Sad part is, I can't move those files to a new block nor do I wish to try and redirect them because nothing is linear and the compression code is whiny and WILL cause major crashes when altered.

Originally, you said more work was needed on enemies. Do you require any input from Recca, or do you have all the data you need? Once you convert them all, will we be able to edit those conversions to rename enemies until they fit the space available?

We are sort of ground-training Recca here to expand his coordination skills. Is he invited to submit bug reports to you directly?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:48 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:

I had a feeling that it was because of the enemy.txt file. I'll try to see if I can shorten some of the names without making them sound strange. I've made a copy of the original enemy.txt file which I placed in the Support Documents folder in case anyone wanted to compare my changes with the original name translations. So far, the progress has been good. I'll get back to work now and send Wildbill the finished work when it's done (probably by the end of the week).

Edit: I've found another freeze point that occurs when talking to a NPC lady at the inn in the Imperial City of Mezra. Nothing is displayed when talking to her, but the game freezes completely while the music continues to play. Nothing can be done except to reset the game and avoid talking to her. The text of this NPC should appear in LW-024.txt, yet I can't seem to find where, let alone fix it...

Attachment:
LW(E) 2015 05_07 23-29-34.png
LW(E) 2015 05_07 23-29-34.png [ 13.04 KiB | Viewed 15869 times ]

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)