Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Post subject: A La Wares Post Here (for now)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Since Minerva is my most involved effort presently, I'm putting this post here temporarily...

We have a La Wares title page BMP (ready for graphically redrawing into English). The full name of the game in Roomaji as listed everywhere is "Shin Seikoku - La Wares" [真・聖刻(ラ・ワース)]. I'm not sure what La Wares means. Maybe that will become clear as we get deeper into the game. Regardless, I'm sure we'll keep that part of the title. Everyone knows it as that.

As I mentioned, the Kanji on the title page logo, cover art, and everywhere else I see it (真・聖刻), is printed in Roomaji as "Shin Seikoku". This roughly translates into True (or The Truth) - Holy or Saint Time.

Based on the theme of the story, I see this expressed multiple ways. Here are some options:

1. Just make it "Shin Seikoku".
2. A Time for True Saints
3. The True Holy Time
4. The True Time of the Saints
5. The Time of the True Saints
6. Time of True Saints

At the moment, I prefer #6.

Or maybe someone can give us a more accurate translation.

The story: A super being created eight giants (golems or robots) in the images of 8 lesser gods. These gods used the giants as vehicles to pass between Heaven and Earth. The gods became disgusted with humans and abandoned the giants. Humans fought for control of the robotic giants left behind. Two factions emerged and fought a devastating war that destroyed much of Earth. In the aftermath, humans are still fighting for control of the giants. Possession and control of a giant allows an ordinary human to overthrow monarchs. Something is brewing. The whole process appears ripe to repeat the former apocalypse.

Based on this preamble and early scenes, I see potential heroes emerging who can operate (Pilot) the mechanical giants. Other entities are plotting to use these Pilots as tools for their own schemes, including the resurrection of an evil super monster to further their designs.

I just know that good will triumph over evil in the end. That is why I like "Time of True Saints - La Wares" as the full title of this game, but I'll accept better counsel and consensus. Space for the English might be a consideration.

FYI, a couple of reviewers at a site rated the game 4.5/5.0 and indicated that it required about 50 hours to play.

Post subject: Re: A La Wares Post Here (for now)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Why not just La Wares?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:56 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Taskforce that "La Wares" would be the best title. That's what most people on the web refer to it anyways:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6GhaEfqbYQ

It looks a bit like a turn based version of Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight, mixed with a little Silva Saga-II. Very interesting, I'll give it a try.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:27 am 

From a cursory reading of information related to the tabletop RPG, which this is based on, Waasu Blade

There is a "Practitioner" class. The practitioner is basically a wizard, a user of the secret art related to 聖刻 or ワース (Waasu).

... I'll get back to this post this evening...

Post subject: Re: First La Wares Post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Why not just La Wares?
Deja vu all over again... like the Burning Heroes decision. I sort of figured this is the way opinion would swing, so it's time to trot out the actual logo. If we do it like BH, we'll need to convert the Kanji and blank out the English already there below the Kanji, so as to eliminate redundancy. Below is the actual pulled graphic Bongo` needs to reinsert in its redrawn Anglicized form.

[FlashPV, (Pascal) mon ami, êtes-vous là-bas?]

Recca, this game has the same system and engine as BH.

Thanks, Gerb. Looking forward to what you interpret on the meaning of La Wares. Somehow, I didn't think it related to Spanish Warez!

BTW, Gerb, I believe we are almost ready to release SSMS-I. Bongo` just fixed a broken routine so we can rename My Town and have it stick for the first time. In addition, Taskforce is also finding a few overruns and glitches here and there that we're mending as well. Did you want to play SSMS-I before we release? If so, we'll hold up until you give it your blessing. If not, we'll toss it out the door soon.

Also Gerb, I have work to do on Princess Minerva and Galactic Robot, then I plan to finish the beta on SSMS-II. I still need to incorporate some of the input you sent me last year on the final chapters I haven't played and inserted yet. I sort of got backlogged but am steadily making progress on the whole shebang!

Gerb, I also need to check with Bongo` and see if we can convert all of the graphic "Jodans" into graphic "Jocques". If not, I guess we're stuck with using "Jodan" for that clown (literally!).

Now that we've decided to release the Arethas together, I need to schedule a rewrite of the first half of A-II so I can standardize between the 2nd half and the entirity of A-I.

I also plan to shoot a demo of La Wares when we get the title page fixed, do a news story on that, and do another announcement on the full translation of Oni-II by Brandnewscooby.

Gonna make one more push for Oni-I as a future. (Bongo`, is it hackable?)

Post subject: Re: First La Wares Post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Gonna make one more push for Oni-I as a future. (Bongo`, is it hackable?)

I'm sure it's hackable. Am I going to do it!? NO! Maybe I should have
included you in the email I sent to TF. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 pm 

The target audience may not understand that the title has the meaning of being about the real Wares or the very essence of Wares or the true Wares with "La Wares", but that is the title (pronounced Wahs). The target audience may not understand the full meaning, but that could be explained in game, and the original audience might not have been familiar with the Wares Blade RPG either. If I were to add a title + sub title it would be "La Wares: Truth of the Holy Age" or "La Wares: Truth about the Holy Age" substituting Holy with Divine as well.

This should both maintain the term "La Wares" and work with the premise of the plot of the game. It looks like the main character's goal is to find a particular "Leud" or giant metal armor thing (
Spoiler! :
the legendary white one
) in order to go up against some practitioners. Practitioners, to expand upon earlier, seem to be about preventing people from knowing about Wares and killing those who know too much.

A briefer/funny term for Practitioner would be Warden as they use Wards :v

Damn. That's it. I can't get that out of my head now, Wardens. Hahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:34 am 
Site Admin

gerb wrote:
The target audience may not understand that the title has the meaning of being about the real Wares or the very essence of Wares or the true Wares with "La Wares", but that is the title (pronounced Wahs). The target audience may not understand the full meaning, but that could be explained in game, and the original audience might not have been familiar with the Wares Blade RPG either. If I were to add a title + sub title it would be "La Wares: Truth of the Holy Age" or "La Wares: Truth about the Holy Age" substituting Holy with Divine as well.

This should both maintain the term "La Wares" and work with the premise of the plot of the game. It looks like the main character's goal is to find a particular "Leud" or giant metal armor thing (
Spoiler! :
the legendary white one
) in order to go up against some practitioners. Practitioners, to expand upon earlier, seem to be about preventing people from knowing about Wares and killing those who know too much.

A briefer/funny term for Practitioner would be Warden as they use Wards :v

Damn. That's it. I can't get that out of my head now, Wardens. Hahaha.
Hee-hee... those wardens or practitioners who operate the giant robots... I believe we call Pilots in the game. They climb into the interiors of the giants and make them mobile, appearing to require special aptitudes or skills to do so. Apparently, four components are needed to turn the giants into fully functional weapons systems, capable of toppling kings: 1. Head 2. Body 3. Core 4. Pilot.

An evil person (magician) already has a body and maybe a head for one of the eight giants. That person's spy is watching two potential pilots, and it looks like they intend either recruit or kidnap the best one, resurrect a dormant or sealed super-monster, and carry out some scheme to conquer the world.

One reviewer called the early part of the game "talky". I skimmed through Recca's link and also checked Part 2 of the initial game play. For a person who does not read Japanese, I could see where some players would be anxious for action. I ,however, call all of that dialogue a "story", and yep... We do stories here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:35 am 
Site Admin

Now that I think about it, that dark haired guy looks a lot like Ryuu from Burning Heroes. Amazing, this game reminds me a lot of Burning Heroes, Silva Saga-II and Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight. That's quite a winning combination in my books! I've only played a little bit of it so far, but it looks good. It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds in this game, especially with those giant mecha/robots, heh!

By the way, if anyone is interested in the walkthrough, they have it at gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/581859-shin-seikoku-la-wares/faqs/42164

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:10 am 
Site Admin

To add my two cents, after a bit of digging it looks like there is a precedent in Yu-Gi-Oh! for 聖刻 to be translated as "Hieratic" or "Hieroglyphic". This thread on GameFAQs talks about it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000398- ... h/61701515

I was able to confirm on Japanese wikipedia that the entry for "hieroglyph" can be spelled with the kanji "聖刻文字" (the second part means "words") http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%92% ... A%E3%83%95 and it is used for particular kinds of hieroglyphs like Cretan hieroglyphs (クレタ聖刻文字) : http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF% ... 7%E5%AD%97

Based on this precedent I'd be tempted to consider "True Hieratic: La Wares".

However... As gerb pointed out, in the context of the works surrounding La Wares, "聖刻" is actually pronounced "ワース" (Wares). You can see this in the first line on the page about Satoshi Chiba's fantasy novels, part of the "media mix" that included the table top RPG gerb mentioned, and this game (『聖刻1092』(ワース1092)は、千葉暁作のロボット・ファンタジー小説。): http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%81%96%E5%88%BB1092

In that case, it seems it may be just as correct to call this "True Wares: La Wares".

For some additional info on the series and lore, the following is a Google Translation of the page about the novels:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Ditto for the SFC game:

And the table top RPG:

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next