Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Post subject: Re: A La Wares Post Here (for now)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Yep, ep 17 of Sister Princess. And they're not adopted sisters, they're his real blood related sisters. I mention this because this can be a sticking point for people. Though, it isn't like he ever kisses any of them or returns any affection directed his way, but romantic affection is directed his way by some of (all of) the girls.

Anyway, in that particular scene Shirayuki--Who starts out as a terrible cook but becomes a near master chef as the series progresses--is feeling overwhelmed trying to get her cooking done and asks Aria for help. Aria is a very slow paced girl, and I'm not talking like mentally challenged or anything, just literally slow paced. Like it can take her forever to get out a sentence when talking. So, Aria, attempting to help out, takes the egg and tries to break it and fails because of her slow pace. She says "It didn't break!" and Shirayuki just bows her head in disappointment. It is my favorite scene from that particular anime. (and literally just kind of happens out of the blue in that ep like it was an afterthought to fill time.)

It is just a very slow paced fun to watch anime (that definitely isn't for everyone, as long as you don't think about the obviously creepy reasons behind their parents plotting.) If anyone plans to watch it, I warn you up front, the ending lacks a lot to be desired just so you are warned.

But yeah, the overall plot of the anime is just as SylarDean describes. An elite teen living alone from an extremely rich family fails his entrance exams to an elite school. So he is literally abducted and sent to a private island his parents own to attend school. His failure was all planned in advance of course. The island is eventually going to open as a theme park but for now it remains closed. The name of the island is Promise island and they all live in the servant quarters of the hotel Promise House. Anyway, when he gets there he runs into girls one after the other and eventually finds out the girls are his little sisters of which he has 13 (actually he has 12 and this is no spoiler because you find out from the beginning Mami isn't his sister, she just tells him she is.) The girls range in age from around 5 to 15. And none are twins. Most of them fall between the ages of 12 and 15. (Don't do the math, it never works out.) Of course in typical anime fashion all 12 younger sisters love their Onii-chan (elder brother), but they still have to learn to live together. Which is complicated by his general lack of social skills and lack of alone time because he lives with and attends school with all 13 girls. Also, all 13 girls lived separately from each other in various parts of the world as well so its not just him getting used to the girls, they must get used to each other. All 13 have some different term in which they refer to him. It is just generally a cute anime, but definitely not deep, one in which you'll actually see a lot of cameos in other anime(s).

There is also a follow up anime called Sister Princess: Re Pure which is reported by many sites to be a sequel which happens after they leave the island in the original series. This is simply not true. The Re Pure series has absolutely nothing to do with the original series and should be treated as an alternate universe situation (and Re Pure is not very good either)

And in case anyone is wondering why series like this get made or worse are actually popular in Japan. Because of the cost of living and space constraints in Japan, many many children grow up in single child households. Many dream of having siblings, and that is why series featuring cute sisters/brothers are so popular in Japan. It is just pandering to an unfulfilled wish of certain Japanese people(s). That is why you might see a lot more series from Japan about siblings (especially animated) than you do from Western countries.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 am 

It's weird.. a LOT of anime sites say they are adopted sisters.. maybe because of the incest theme it has so they just
edited it to not sound so bad, but then.. anime's do this a LOT, so who cares.. lol

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:04 am 
Site Admin

That gets reported by anime sites because of the incest issues, the fact they lived in different parts of the world before coming to promise island and because later releases of the game spinoffs may have said adopted after the Tokyo laws about blood related relationships in art went into effect. (However, originally, the creators have said they were blood related siblings in both the games and anime from everything I've heard or read.) Also, remember this did not start out as an eroge game, as it was originally a playstation 1 game, so sex scenes and incest wasn't an issue. I have no idea if it ever was turned into an Eroge at any point, however if it was that could also be why, though I don't think it was.

Though, I've read that originally the game only had 8 girls, 4 were added specifically for the anime version and then added to the game at a later time in a second edition version. One of which is my favorite character, Aria.

Do NOT read this spoiler passage unless you want the thoughts contained within to creep you out a bit. You have been warned. It is just my general understanding of the reasoning behind the series and should not be taken as fact, but it is very creepy.

Spoiler! :
This is all conjecture on my part knowing the Japanese and their history, so do not take it as definite fact. See, from what I can tell, the creepy undertones and unspoken dialog of the anime and games is that he is to choose a girl as his bride because this is an illustrious Japanese family that believes outside blood is too inpure and has no branch families with children of enough standing to be his bride. Therefore the kids were separated at birth and he is to choose one to be his wife as they're the only ones with enough standing to take on the roll. Again, this is the reason I say not to think about the undertones behind the goings on of the series or games. Back in the day, elite Japanese families would marry brother to sister if there was no-one else of elite enough standing to marry. This may not happen anymore in Japan, but the myth is that it still does in the most prestigious of families, which this family is supposed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:35 am 
Site Admin

While I can't say that I fully approve of the idea, I honestly don't mind if a brother and sister or cousins truly love and care for each other and choose to become a couple or otherwise romantically involved. This is obviously not something that I've ever thought of for myself, but I don't think that it's my place or anyone else's to judge them. Besides, I sure as hell would rather see a brother and sister getting married than *coughsamesexpeoplecough*. But hey, that's just me. Anyways, I won't say anymore because I wouldn't want a bunch of random people signing up here just to flame me for my honest opinion...

In other news, 4ph has expressed his interest in translating La Wares into French. I told him that he could post here to ask or contact Bongo` directly if he wishes to use the script inserter for his translation. The one I have has been modified to be used for my Romanian version so I can't give him that one. Not that I would without permission anyways. Bongo` is the creator and the one in charge of the script inserters, so it's his call. And aside from that, we still have to consider when the English version release will be as well when Wildbill gets back. I certainly hope that he's doing alright along with Red Soul.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:48 am 

Spoiler! :
Do NOT read this spoiler passage unless you want the thoughts contained within to creep you out a bit. You have been warned. It is just my general understanding of the reasoning behind the series and should not be taken as fact, but it is very creepy.

This is all conjecture on my part knowing the Japanese and their history, so do not take it as definite fact. See, from what I can tell, the creepy undertones and unspoken dialog of the anime and games is that he is to choose a girl as his bride because this is an illustrious Japanese family that believes outside blood is too inpure and has no branch families with children of enough standing to be his bride. Therefore the kids were separated at birth and he is to choose one to be his wife as they're the only ones with enough standing to take on the roll. Again, this is the reason I say not to think about the undertones behind the goings on of the series or games. Back in the day, elite Japanese families would marry brother to sister if there was no-one else of elite enough standing to marry. This may not happen anymore in Japan, but the myth is that it still does in the most prestigious of families, which this family is supposed to be.
[/quote]

Yeah, that could also be said for many parts of the world, that's still in practice these days, african villages comes to mind. In Victorian times, families would inter-marry to keep bloodlines pure, it's an old practice and a way of life back then but as science evolved and knowledge of how DNA/Genetics etc worked it was seen better to NOT marry with same bloodlines cos same dna can cause defects in later births etc. In the UK, you can actually marry your 1st cousin without breaking laws but it's not recommended because of the DNA thing, there's a study scientists did that birth defects from same bloodlines are nearly as rare a chance of happening as a 40+ year old woman giving birth to a child with defects, I think its just all a little taboo to be fair. Edgar Allan Poe secretly married his first cousin, Virginia Eliza Clemm, though the age would present MAJOR problems now, it's a great contrast of how times have changed over the years. Even Charles Darwin married his first cousin Emma Wedgwood and they even had 10 children together.. crazy :O

BUT.. I think we kinda gone off topic here for the OP.. so I will stop with my Genetic/DNA ramblings now before I get told off... SORRY!

P.S. few others that married 1st cousins.. Jessie James (The Outlaw), H.G. Wells, and.. Jerry Lee Lewis (she was 13 YUCK!)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:16 am 
Site Admin

Just a follow up. It is also perfectly legal to marry your 1st cousin in Japan and all 50 states of the US. You cannot marry, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren or aunts/uncles, but cousins are allowed. Frowned upon by your peers but fully legal. We are both a 2 step system. 1 step to your parents, and 1 step to your aunt/uncle, cousins are a third step and therefore legal. (And this is the myth of how those families get by with it. They flub paperwork at some point making the sibling a cousin.) And as you said, I guess this off topic discussion should come to a close, sorry for hijacking the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 am 

taskforce wrote:
Just a follow up. It is also perfectly legal to marry your 1st cousin in Japan and all 50 states of the US. You cannot marry, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren or aunts/uncles, but cousins are allowed. Frowned upon by your peers but fully legal. We are both a 2 step system. 1 step to your parents, and 1 step to your aunt/uncle, cousins are a third step and therefore legal. (And this is the myth of how those families get by with it. They flub paperwork at some point making the sibling a cousin.) And as you said, I guess this off topic discussion should come to a close, sorry for hijacking the thread.

lol.. great convo tho :)

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Admin

That's okay, it was an interesting conversation after all. Besides, I'm the one who initially asked what anime series your avatar was. It's nice to be able to have some off topic discussions once in a while. Way too many sites these days are fanatical about the "staying on topic" rule. Aside from that, there hasn't been too much actively here lately anyways. We might as well try and keep this place alive until things get lively again. And Taskforce, as the webmaster, you may go off topic whenever you like. :)

But yeah, I guess we shouldn't derail this topic any longer. One of us could always make a separate topic in the general discussion forum if we wish to discuss this further.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:53 am 

do you need a beta tester for this game? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:29 pm 

Will also through my hat in to the ring. I can beta test on the Retron 5 and see how it works with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next