Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oni-II Title Page Conversion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 am 
Site Admin

The usual discussion. Here is the title page:

If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese reads "The End of the Edo Period". At least part of it does, I believe.
If someone can confirm this, my first suggestion for conversion is: "Oni-II - The End of the Edo Period."

Post subject: Re: Oni-II Title Page Conversion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:01 am 
Site Admin

The title is "幕末降臨伝 ONI" which would be something like "Legend of the End of the Edo Period"... But I like what you have better ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Here's my hat in the ring.

"ONI II - Dawn of the Bakumatsu"

幕末 = Bakumatsu. The end of the Edo period/Tokugawa.
降臨 = The advent, the descent, rise of, appearance, occurrence, dawn of, coming of etc...
伝 = biography, life of, legend, tradition

I think trying to wedge "the Chronicle of the Rise of the Bakumatsu" or something in just feels to unwieldy, but by swapping Bakumatsu for "end of the Edo period" I think we can either focus on "伝" or "降臨".

My vote is for "降臨" as in the above.

EDIT:

To add a little context, here is a heavy metal band's DVD named "百鬼降臨伝" (Hyakki-Korinden) translated as "The Legend of Descent of Hundred Demons" on Wikipedia.

I myself also previously translated "3x3 Eyes - Seima Kourinden" as "3x3 Eyes: Advent of the Divine Demon Legend".

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:39 pm 

filler wrote:

降臨 = The advent, the descent, rise of, appearance, occurrence, dawn of, coming of etc...

I think trying to wedge "the Chronicle of the Rise of the Bakumatsu" or something in just feels to unwieldy, but by swapping Bakumatsu for "end of the Edo period" I think we can either focus on "伝" or "降臨".

I like that one said above.. ONI-II - Dawn Of The Bakumatsu .. that gets MY vote :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:

EDIT:

To add a little context, here is a heavy metal band's DVD named "百鬼降臨伝" (Hyakki-Korinden) translated as "The Legend of Descent of Hundred Demons" on Wikipedia.

I myself also previously translated "3x3 Eyes - Seima Kourinden" as "3x3 Eyes: Advent of the Divine Demon Legend".
Gosh, Filler, you're getting really adept at your skill. I'll let all of you pick something then ask FlashPV if he can help us again.

Bongo`, I'll need that ever-loving' "usable format" of the title page graphic for Oni-II!

Do we have an English title page for Minerva that works? I saw one somewhere about three years ago, but it either didn't work or we never loaded it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, lets go with filler's suggestion. He is likely right that the title is more about the Bakumatsu than the end of the Edo Period although that is the timeframe. Japanese play on words is the likely scenario for that.

As for Princess Minerva, except for that bit of Japanese text at the bottom that needs to be replaced, the title page is how I want it. We could use where the secondary Japanese text was to put something like our Dynamic Designs name but I'd need tile map data to do that or Bongo` to load it if I made it. However, I personally do not want that secondary text translated and added to the title page. The Japanese have a bad habit of trying to write a book for a title and it just is not necessary for a single game that has no sequels or the first game in a series and I've never liked those long stupid convoluted titles. Heck, if Oni had a 2 or a II or something, I'd be for ditching that text too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Yeah, lets go with filler's suggestion. He is likely right that the title is more about the Bakumatsu than the end of the Edo Period although that is the timeframe. Japanese play on words is the likely scenario for that.

As for Princess Minerva, except for that bit of Japanese text at the bottom that needs to be replaced, the title page is how I want it. We could use where the secondary Japanese text was to put something like our Dynamic Designs name but I'd need tile map data to do that or Bongo` to load it if I made it. However, I personally do not want that secondary text translated and added to the title page. The Japanese have a bad habit of trying to write a book for a title and it just is not necessary for a single game that has no sequels or the first game in a series and I've never liked those long stupid convoluted titles. Heck, if Oni had a 2 or a II or something, I'd be for ditching that text too.
If you can't purge that bit of Minerva Kanji yourself when Bongo` gets it in a usable format, then send it on over, and I'l forward it to FlashPV and ask hime if he'll help us one more time.

And write the Oni words EXACTLY like you want it. As soon as Bongo` has the correct BMP, I'll send it along, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, I completely misstated that before, so if I confused you, yeah sorry, pretty tired, but anyway I'm OK with whatever. Dawn of the Bakumatsu sounds good to me. My brain is broke at this point and I was thinking something else not Bakumatsu which is the End of the Edo period of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:00 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Actually, I completely misstated that before, so if I confused you, yeah sorry, pretty tired, but anyway I'm OK with whatever. Dawn of the Bakumatsu sounds good to me.
"ONI-II: Dawn of the Bakumatsu"

or just

"Dawn of the Bakumatsu"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Since space will likely be highly limited, just Dawn of the Bakumatsu. Remember that this game can't be expanded so whatever we choose will likely have to go back where it was and take up the same amount of data.