Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Yes friends, the project is back in production once agai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:
Oh, that's sort of what I was trying to say - I apologize if it came off differently. I only meant that poor editing, hacking, typesetting, etc. can make even the best of translations seem shoddy, so it's difficult to understate the importance of it.
Garrett is correct, brandnewscooby. A lot of talent is out there. And if you see someone in dire need of a translator who is working on a game that you purely love - and you have time - I'm sure that person would be more than delighted to have your help. And Garrett is one of the best.

As for the time factor with Oni-II, had you required four times as long, that still would be definable as "lightning speed"!

On the other hand, I sometimes worry about needing so long to get one of these patches finished. I often feel like we're letting translators down, even when we need all that time to ensure the end result is the best we are capable of producing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:11 am 

Thanks to everyone. :)
I'm still looking forward to this project. Because this game is the best for me when I was young.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:43 pm 

This is a game I have been looking forward to ever since getting
into the translation scene. It's never been closer, and I just hope
this gets the excellent work all the DD projects have gotten.

Good luck with this project!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 pm 

Good Job!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 am 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for your support! We were just recently talking about projects in another thread, and I believe this is one of the games being coordinated by WildBill. He has quite a lot on his plate, and I think this game may have a lower priority (after the Aretha's, SSMS-2, etc.). It WILL get done, but it may take a little more time than you were expecting.

I hope this hasn't dashed your dreams, but once again, I can assure you that it will be out in the future :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:52 pm 

Awesome, take what time you need to finish another quality product 8-)
Looking forward to it, good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Thanks so much for your support! We were just recently talking about projects in another thread, and I believe this is one of the games being coordinated by WildBill. He has quite a lot on his plate, and I think this game may have a lower priority (after the Aretha's, SSMS-2, etc.). It WILL get done, but it may take a little more time than you were expecting.

I hope this hasn't dashed your dreams, but once again, I can assure you that it will be out in the future :)
Okay, here's an update to Draken's accurate assessment concerning our situation with Oni-II approximately 1-1/2 years ago. These are the games that were "on my plate" at that time and their current status:

1. Princess Minerva - relased
2. La Wares (English) - in beta testing with a secret release date penciled-in.
3. Aretha-I - 2 passes by me and being prepared for beta testing by Taskforce
4. Aretha-II - 2 passes by me and on hold until Aretha-II enters beta testing
5. SSMS-II - 2 passes by me and ready for in-house beta testing by SylarDean

Oni-II is the only game left on my plate for which I have an insertion system and fully translated script in hand. Oni-II also has a Japanese-themed story centered around conflicts during Japan's Edo Period. Two years ago, Taskforce and I were discussing who would take the first pass. We never came to a definite conclusion, so I'm raising it again now. Since I have everything in hand from above, still have time to concentrate on story writing, and am way ahead of my own set schedule for catching up with those five games above, I am ready, willing, and able to get Oni-II rolling right now.

However, Taskforce, if you want to make that first pass with Oni-II, go ahead. That's fine.

If so, then Bongo`, I need a new story to work on while I've got this time available, a classic turn-based RPG. I may find myself house-building again this summer - and even shutting down a major residence. If so, I will have very limited hobby time for quite a while.

In lieu of Oni-II, I'm thinking Shiki Eiyuuden or something along that line, and I don't need a fully translated script - just text, misc, and menu dumps and an insertion package. I already have a 51.3 kb text file for SE named "SE_0.txt". Is that one still good? First four strings...

まだ準備ができていない!
We are not ready yet!

敵はあわてふためいている!
The enemy is haunted! (or maybe cursed?)

強烈な一撃!
A massive strike!

[mem$00F1]は攻撃をかわした!
[Name] evaded/dodged the attack!

Eventually, I would need a real translator to help me through the tough spots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
If so, then Bongo`, I need a new story to work on while I've got this time available, a classic turn-based RPG. I may find myself house-building again this summer - and even shutting down a major residence. If so, I will have very limited hobby time for quite a while.

In lieu of Oni-II, I'm thinking Shiki Eiyuuden or something along that line, and I don't need a fully translated script - just text, misc, and menu dumps and an insertion package. I already have a 51.3 kb text file for SE named "SE_0.txt". Is that one still good? First four strings...

まだ準備ができていない!
We are not ready yet!

敵はあわてふためいている!
The enemy is haunted! (or maybe cursed?)

強烈な一撃!
A massive strike!

[mem$00F1]は攻撃をかわした!
[Name] evaded/dodged the attack!

Eventually, I would need a real translator to help me through the tough spots.

I would love to work on that game, but translators seem to hate dealing with translating the script. That's not to say it's a bad script, I assume it has something to do with ancient china refs. I think that may be true for Benkei Suna as well. I can send you the structure once I have it in good shape

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 am 

Bongo` wrote:
ancient china refs ... I think that may be true for Benkei Suna as well.

Kurisu has played through that game and written about it in length at his blog... https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.fi/p/blog-page.html
Scroll down for links to all parts of his playthrough and review. He mentions the fact that historic references are indeed plenty with the game and apparently the script is also kanji-heavy with "old" connotations in speech patterns, word usage etc. Looks great still and would be good to play in english one day 8-)

Shiki Eiyuuden: That being said I've also mentioned somewhere else that although I'm no proficient jpn translator I've played SE a lot and I'm familiar with the historic background... should your translator(s) have questions about the historic context I'm more than glad to help clarify with names and plot points if this game happens to end up on your plate. Even with its semihistoric "serious" theme the game seems to have this tongue-in-cheek style of humor sprinkled throughout, something you've embraced with Minerva's script and other projects to great effect. All in all, it might be up your alley in that regards. :?:

(I could scan the rare strat guide too? The game's really confusing where to go next and when)

On a side note it's great to see progress continuing with all these promising projects as of late + Minerva's release! And for that I want to congratulate the whole team! I did have to take a break from the scene for a while but I'm following these and new developments with interest....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:36 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
If so, then Bongo`, I need a new story to work on while I've got this time available, a classic turn-based RPG.

Dragon Quest 6 retranslation... :)

Or maybe this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_w7JoIigco

But the best would still be if you just worked on Oni 2, as your storytelling rocks, Wildbill. Having the story of one of my favourite games written by the best storyteller around would be awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next