Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Yes friends, the project is back in production once agai
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:55 am 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:
Just hunkered down and polished off the last couple blocks of text and sent it in to Taskforce. That should do it as far as the main script goes. I'd like to go over it one last time once I have a guidebook in my hand to cross-reference, but I did a lot of reviewing and re-reviewing as I went along, so hopefully not too much needs correcting. I'll leave things in D-D's capable hands for the time being.

Wildbill, I'm not too familiar with the Oni games outside of this one and some incidental knowledge of the Game Boy titles, but I've had a blast with this project and I'm sure the history geek in me would eat it up. I'd definitely be willing to look further into it at some point!
Heh, with your report, brandnewscoopy, no wonder Taskforce needed a nap this evening.

I've been zinging him all day with drafts of a madcap recapitulation of Minerva Chapter 1 through the eyes of this goofball wal-mart-type front gate greeter, the very first person you meet in Chapter 2. Then, I sent him a bunch of SSMS-II materials to sift through as he builds a project page for our V0.88 beta. So, finally, with your 100% script translation of Oni-II in his hands, I can see we've all been piling on TF today, beating him up like a re-headed stepchild! No wonder he's behind on the final sanity check of SSMS-I!

Thinking about all of this work TF must accomplish has made me so tired, I'm hitting the rack now. I'll probably be back after Minerva about 5-6 A.M., long before everyone and their dog starts calling me on the phone around mid-day - forcing me to detour into real-world aggravations.

Now, if Bongo` read what you said about reviewing the possibility of doing Oni-I, I'm now tossing the ball over into his court to get a hack check going and maybe a script dump in the works. Here's what Richie's FAQ reads near the start:

The Super Famicom version of the Japanese ... RPG 'ONI' series that was
popular in the Game Boy version. The stage is the beginning of the Kamakura
period. The story of five people who are guided by fate changing into Oni by
borrowing the power of Tenka's five swords and crossing over to the Nether
World while fighting with [a] ghost.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the e-mail with the new files never arrived, mind sending it again Brandnewscooby? Yeah, I wish that was the reason for my nap but sadly it wasn't. I'm making progress where I can find time on whatever I can find time to make progress on though :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm 

Huh, that's odd. Maybe gmail's flagging it as spam (sometimes it doesn't like zips). I resent it but I'll pop a mediafire link over to you via PM to be on the extra safe side.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:
Huh, that's odd. Maybe gmail's flagging it as spam (sometimes it doesn't like zips). I resent it but I'll pop a mediafire link over to you via PM to be on the extra safe side.
Try RARs, brandnewscooby!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:57 am 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:
Just hunkered down and polished off the last couple blocks of text and sent it in to Taskforce. That should do it as far as the main script goes. I'd like to go over it one last time once I have a guidebook in my hand to cross-reference, but I did a lot of reviewing and re-reviewing as I went along, so hopefully not too much needs correcting. I'll leave things in D-D's capable hands for the time being.

Wow! Allow me to commend you on a speedy job. You got a large script done in the time it would take me to do one probably a 6th of the size. If you stay around the scene we may see a dent in the game libraries for some of these systems yet.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:13 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
brandnewscooby wrote:

Wow! Allow me to commend you on a speedy job. You got a large script done in the time it would take me to do one probably a 6th of the size. If you stay around the scene we may see a dent in the game libraries for some of these systems yet.
It's teamwork that makes it happen. It's all of us working together, doing what we can with the time and talents we have and no one caring who takes credit. I believe this is what sets D-D apart - not just in translations - but compared to many human endeavors going on throughout this crazy world in these troubled times. Hopefully, our efforts will bring a bit of relaxation and diversion to gamers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:01 pm 

filler wrote:

Ha, thank you, but I only wish I could say this was my usual pace - the clouds basically parted and freed up all the life-related things that usually keep me occupied. Whatever cosmic deity exists on earth apparently really wanted to see this game in English, because it normally takes me several times as long (I think 7th Stand User took me a little over a year, but in my defense, that thing is like the War and Peace of RPG Maker fangames)

And you're absolutely right, Wildbill. D-D's projects always have that extra level of polish that's sadly lacking in a lot of fan projects, and the prospect of seeing my translation used in one is very exciting! A finished ROMhack is the result of a lot of people's grueling efforts, and the anticipation of seeing one through to release is the carrot-and-stick that helps me work that much more efficiently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:15 pm 

Not attacking you or anything, but there's probably a few people in the fan translation community including myself who would beg to differ with that statement. Anytime you have technical proficiency in the hacking side of things, the translation tends to follow that same path. Most times you end up with a professional quality, if not better, translation. There's quite a few talented people in the hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 pm 

Oh, that's sort of what I was trying to say - I apologize if it came off differently. I only meant that poor editing, hacking, typesetting, etc. can make even the best translation work seem shoddy, so it's difficult to understate the importance of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:04 pm 

No need to apologize. Keep up the good work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next