Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Yes friends, the project is back in production once agai
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
OBOYO_BOYO_BOYO...! Finally... A lady in our midst. These are all good guys 'round here, but... Well, they're all GUYS! How boring!!

Welcome to the party, Brandnewscooby!!

Glad you enjoyed Slayers RPG. As I recall, Filler and I brainstormed just about every scene before moving on, so he is the translator, and the two of us are essentially co-authors, collaborators, whatever ya wanna call it. To prepare myself, I dredged up just about every complaint people had made about previous fan translations of other Slayers products and tried to avoid repeating possible "mis-steps". Second, I watched dozens of Slayers anime scenes to internalize the way the characters spoke and interacted. Finally, I added a bit of my own warped sense of humor here and there... something that goes over with many players but not all.

Of course, Slayers RPG has a major, major twist in the story that I won't divulge here! In most cases, a writer couldn't sell this premise to a commercial producer, but the Japanese author pulled it off beautifully, and Filler laid out the whole enchilada, right in my lap. It was a total frolic for me - start to finish!

Filler has done two additional scripts that feature mostly ladies, Aretha-I and II, but Ariel - the protagonist in both Arethas - is a polar opposite to Lina Inverse. Both of those Aretha games are in late production. Filler's work in Aretha-I is so pinpoint (He translated Aretha-II first), I breezed through the first draft last summer and have just started with first rewrite. Aretha-II, I've got to re-do the first half because it turned out to be a direct sequel. The climax of the second game throws yet another major twist in your face, but unlike Slayers, it comes crashing down on you near the end of this duo series!

Finally, Taskforce has worked Princess Minerva to the final polish stage, an RPG with an all-lady band of warriors - up against an all-female gang of villains! I've never seen a game such as this before, and it was translated by Eien Ni Hen, another lady translator, one who is highly regarded in our "community". That game is a hoot, too, so far, almost as much madcap mayhem as Slayers!

Heh, I guess one could say we're all fairly passionate - even obsessed - with what we do here! Finally, I would add the tones set by our dedicated translators always shine through. In addition to Eien and Princess Minerva, this includes Gerb with the Super Shell Monster Story series (in production), Manske in Chaos Seed (released), Shiva Indus' work in Silva Saga-II (released), and Ritchie's script in Burning Heroes (released).

Again, welcome aboard, Brandnewscoobie!!

The work really shows! I've been a fan of the Slayers series since I could hardly read and I'd say you got the characters' voices down pat. The game holds a very special place in my heart to this day for how well it captures the signature series' brand of humor, and a pitch-perfect localization certainly doesn't hurt that fact!

Honestly, translating, writing, proofing, re-writing, and coding in a game script takes such a staggering amount of labor and organization that you'd sort of have to be obsessed to try and tackle it all. But as a lover of games, especially RPGS, the satisfaction of watching a brand new audience get to experience an underrated gem is beyond worth it. I can't voice my admiration enough for what you guys do, and if all goes well with Oni, I'd jump at the chance to dive a little deeper into this community!

And taskforce - those shots look great! So excited to see this project begin to come together.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:39 am 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:

The work really shows! I've been a fan of the Slayers series since I could hardly read and I'd say you got the characters' voices down pat. The game holds a very special place in my heart to this day for how well it captures the signature series' brand of humor, and a pitch-perfect localization certainly doesn't hurt that fact!

Honestly, translating, writing, proofing, re-writing, and coding in a game script takes such a staggering amount of labor and organization that you'd sort of have to be obsessed to try and tackle it all. But as a lover of games, especially RPGS, the satisfaction of watching a brand new audience get to experience an underrated gem is beyond worth it. I can't voice my admiration enough for what you guys do, and if all goes well with Oni, I'd jump at the chance to dive a little deeper into this community!

And taskforce - those shots look great! So excited to see this project begin to come together.
Don't know if you've had a chance to look at our list and/or you're also a Ranma 1/2 fan, too, but we also did the Ranma RPG a few years back, and it seemed to come out pretty well.

As for future projects, our wheels are always turning. I've always wanted to do a proper SFC DQ-VI English version that doesn't corrupt the graphics and occasionally use weird terminology like that European outfit behind the NDS version did.

Regarding the Herculean effort required to wrap up one of these patches: one secret is to know when to walk away from it for a while yet keep pecking away steadily - even if only an hour or so of productive time at a sitting. Some days I'll write for 16 hours straight. Others, I'll never get my head unmuddled, so I'll go outside and fire up a chainsaw - anything not sedentary. Most of us also play commercial RPGs along. As a writer, I actually read more voraciously than I write. To study dialects, I watch a lot of classic movies going back almost 100 years to silent films. I also watch a lot of Asian movies with subtitles - especially military themes.

Many of us have "day" jobs, too, and wives and kids and other hobbies. Sometimes I wonder how we get it all done and manage to hold our marriages together! Heh, all the girls are up for sainthood!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Regarding the Herculean effort required to wrap up one of these patches: one secret is to know when to walk away from it for a while yet keep pecking away steadily - even if only an hour or so of productive time at a sitting. Some days I'll write for 16 hours straight. Others, I'll never get my head unmuddled, so I'll go outside and fire up a chainsaw - anything not sedentary. Most of us also play commercial RPGs along. As a writer, I actually read more voraciously than I write. To study dialects, I watch a lot of classic movies going back almost 100 years to silent films. I also watch a lot of Asian movies with subtitles - especially military themes.

Many of us have "day" jobs, too, and wives and kids and other hobbies. Sometimes I wonder how we get it all done and manage to hold our marriages together! Heh, all the girls are up for sainthood!!

Seconding this. I usually work on 2-3 projects at a time and bounce from one to another so I don't get too stressed out. I also have other hobbies too, but translating tends to take up a lot of my time.

Also, those screenshots look great, Taskforce! I'm amazed you guys could make the vertical text/text boxes display horizontally like that. I can't imagine it was an easy feat.

I'm glad to see that this project has gotten a dedicated translator. Thank you so much for volunteering, Brandnewscooby! Translating an entire game script can be daunting, especially when the game is as text-heavy as Oni II. But it sounds like you're up for the challenge, and I'm sure you'll do an awesome job. がんばってね!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:44 pm 

Hi all, just wanted to report in real quick on the status of the translation.

There's been a big lull at my usually busy job, and instead of sitting at my desk twiddling my thumbs during the off time I've elected to work on Oni a bit instead. As a result, I've managed to polish off a pretty big chunk of it, and it looks like I'll be completely finished with the main script much sooner than anticipated!

There's roughly 25 to 30 blocks left to do, but mercifully, they're all 8kb or smaller coming out to about 150kb altogether. I wouldn't have dreamed it when I started this thing, but luck's been on my side enough that the possibility of finishing the first draft of the translation by the end of the week, or at the very least the end of the month, is looking to be a reality!

I also ordered a strategy guide to reference while proofing for errors, which should be arriving sometime soon - I'll post a few pages when I get it. Honestly, it's astounding how little documentation there is for this game on the Japanese side of the web. It's rare to see a game of this quality fall so completely under the radar for so long. C'est la vie, I suppose - the game came out pretty late in the console's lifespan, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a decent JRPG when it comes to the SFC library at the time.

Also, thanks for the support Eien! It's enough to make a girl blush :oops: I'd like to take breaks but my attention span is such that if I lose the rhythm I risk forgetting about it completely - oh well. Good luck with your current projects!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 am 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:

There's been a big lull at my usually busy job, and instead of sitting at my desk twiddling my thumbs during the off time I've elected to work on Oni a bit instead. As a result, I've managed to polish off a pretty big chunk of it, and it looks like I'll be completely finished with the main script much sooner than anticipated!

There's roughly 25 to 30 blocks left to do, but mercifully, they're all 8kb or smaller coming out to about 150kb altogether. I wouldn't have dreamed it when I started this thing, but luck's been on my side enough that the possibility of finishing the first draft of the translation by the end of the week, or at the very least the end of the month, is looking to be a reality!

I also ordered a strategy guide to reference while proofing for errors, which should be arriving sometime soon - I'll post a few pages when I get it. Honestly, it's astounding how little documentation there is for this game on the Japanese side of the web. It's rare to see a game of this quality fall so completely under the radar for so long. C'est la vie, I suppose - the game came out pretty late in the console's lifespan, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a decent JRPG when it comes to the SFC library at the time.

Also, thanks for the support Eien! It's enough to make a girl blush :oops: I'd like to take breaks but my attention span is such that if I lose the rhythm I risk forgetting about it completely - oh well. Good luck with your current projects!
Holy cow! Well, if you put this one in the can really fast and still have the bug, maybe we could dump Oni-I, hee-hee...! (Kishin Kourinden Oni - Kamakura period - 1185–1333) I read the FAQ on it and already caught the bug. It's a much earlier period in Japanese history, so it's not a directly-connected pre-quel. I would be willing to try translating Oni-I myself, but If I did, I'd be at it forever, do a lousy job, and wouldn't get much writing done!

Thanks for the update, brandnewscooby. This is exciting news!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:58 am 
Site Admin

brandnewscooby wrote:

Wow, you're plowing through that script like crazy. Thanks for the help and working so hard on it. We very much appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:09 am 
Site Admin

What wonderful news!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:19 pm 

brandnewscooby wrote:

Thank you. A few weeks ago I couldn't imagine Oni II would ever get a translation. Now it seems to become reality. Sometimes, our litte dreams come true! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 am 

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:27 am 

Just hunkered down and polished off the last couple blocks of text and sent it in to Taskforce. That should do it as far as the main script goes. I'd like to go over it one last time once I have a guidebook in my hand to cross-reference, but I did a lot of reviewing and re-reviewing as I went along, so hopefully not too much needs correcting. I'll leave things in D-D's capable hands for the time being.

Wildbill, I'm not too familiar with the Oni games outside of this one and some incidental knowledge of the Game Boy titles, but I've had a blast with this project and I'm sure the history geek in me would eat it up. I'd definitely be willing to look further into it at some point!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next