Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unused content, typos, and mistakes in the Japanese script
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:58 am 

While translating this game, I've noticed quite a few typos and general mistakes. If you're like me, you love finding mistakes developers made, so I just thought I'd make a thread for them for anyone who's curious! Spoilers are marked (spoilers means basically anything that has anything to do with the story or characters) but I generally am not posting any context to these lines. These translations aren't finished, and might be inaccurate. Sorry about that.

Typos / mistakes:

Code:
_TextLabel_00000417_:
;  つかれたら、ここのベットをつかってね。[key]
; やすんでいきますか?
;
If you're tired, you can use the bet here.[key]
Do you want to rest?

Should be "bed" instead of "bet". In Japanese, it says "betto" instead of "beddo".

_TextLabel_0000118B_:
Code:
;  そうですか。、それはザンネンです。
Is that so., that is a disappointment.

A period and a comma together. Sometimes you'll see …、 or something in Japanese, but I don't think 。、 is acceptable.

Gigantic spoiler, this will practically ruin the story for you:
Spoiler! :
Code:
;  カタストロフ
;  ふっふっふっ。
; はやいかおそいかのちがいだけだ。[key]
; さあ、なつかしいこの星を、われわれに返してもらおう!
Catastrophe
Muahahaha.
I just changed when I was going to do it.[key]
Now we'll be taking back our planet we've missed so!

Ugly English on the second line, I'll fix it later, but the typo is his name. Usually the game writes his name as "Great Emperor Catastrophe" / カタストロフ大帝, but here it just writes "Catastrophe" / カタストロフ.

Not really spoilers, but avoid if you like to speculate about what a piece of out of context dialogue could mean:
Spoiler! :
Code:
_TextLabel_000007F9_:
;  [basil]
;  ・[wait-$0014]・[wait-$0014]・[wait-$0014]ヒース、何も言うな。
; 傷つくことが、人生じゃ。
[basil]
.[wait-$0014].[wait-$0014].[wait-$0014]Heath, say no more.
Getting hurt is just life.

Basil almost always calls the party members "Master" or どの in Japanese. Here, he just says Heath, and not the name tag for it, so in game it would show up as Heath no matter what name you put in for him.

Unused content:

There is one unused "block" of dialogue, Block 47. Blocks are usually separated into locations (not always, but usually), so we could call this an area cut from the game. I'll call it the "Nameless Village". There are spoilers because there is an older version of a cutscene in this block. Here is a pastebin with all of the lines with translations, where the new versions of the lines are located, and maybe a comment or two: http://pastebin.com/QNR2h7zj
It was bugging me for awhile so I'm glad I finally was able to figure it out :D

As far as dialogue / unused areas go, the Nameless Village is probably the only thing. If there were more, they'd probably be in the text dump, and I already know the locations of most of the blocks I've seen. I've checked all of the blocks, 95 of them, and this is the only one with stuff I'm not sure of the location for. :( Hopefully some day someone will figure out how to get to this Nameless Village or trigger this dialogue. It gives sort of a creepy vibe, doesn't it?

There are also, from what I've heard, a TON of unused items, equipment, monsters and such so when I go through the items I'll see what are unused. If you guys find anything post it here! :)

This Japanese walkthrough, which by the way if you can read Japanese is the best walkthrough of this game out there, http://www.aqua-design-2006.co.jp/game_capture/sfc/god/ , said they couldn't find the following items (spoilers afoot!!):

Spoiler! :
レムールの剣 = Sword of Lemur
マンモスの剣 = Mammoth Sword
オリハルコン法衣 = Orichalcum Robe
キングスアーマー = King's Armor
カチューシャ = Katyusha
ツタンカの仮面 = Tutank's Mask
ムーのかぶと = Mu Helmet
ガラスの靴 = Glass Shoes

And couldn't find the following monster:

Spoiler! :
ブラックホール = Black Hole

That's all I've found so far, though. I'll update this more as I translate the game and find more stuff.

Post subject: Re: Unused content, typos, and mistakes in the Japanese scri
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:54 pm 

Hi there melonseller and everyone, and happy you've decided to take part in translating the SNES game :)

All of this unused content seems rather impressive!
I thought the PS1 release would re-implement some of this stuff - was it the case?
About the unused content, you could use cheat codes and relative search to find the unused maps (map change code; already managed doing so with Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia after lots of trial and error but it's very time consuming (all these "non equal" searches) and buggy). This code could also come very useful for beta testing parts of the game quickly without needing savestates (but it might mess up the event flags big time :/)
I bet it would be however more easier and accessible to make a code to edit the party (to find unused members? "X's mother"?), the enemy formations, the status effects (little Gen might have unused animations?), and the inventory items (maybe changing the first slot?)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:00 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Ghanmi! Yeah, I definitely wonder if the content was implemented in the PSX version of the game. I know Melonseller has played much more through the game on that platform than I have, so maybe he has more information. I've also had a look at the PSX version's structure, and I wonder if maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to tackle sometimes in the future after releasing the SNES version.

As per triggering events, it's very possible to do so through hacks/codes if one were so inclined to put in the effort, but I guess I'm hoping Bongo` one day figures out how to trigger the debug room for the game (assuming it has one), thus making it all the more easier!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:59 am 

A map select code and good old HP/MP/stats cheats could be all what's needed , good old relative search :P
Trying to search for debug routines/rooms is a lot more effort and it doesn't pay more often than not (and they probably deleted it from the SNES version: SNES games with debug rooms (not simplu unused rooms, there's a nuance) left intact in retail copies are a rarity for the obvious space concerns, and even if they are, the text and routines often get deleted)

The PS version according to what I saw comparing melonseller's script for it, seems to expand and add new lines. A superior rewrite. Dunno if an analogy with the Saturn Chaos Seed would be apt? The BGs and BGMs seemed lazy and cheap though, they might have dropped the ball at some point and not included the previous scrapped content?
Japanese web could be a goldmine for this game in specific (lots of Saturn/PS/DC cheats unheard of anywhere else) but I think It's obscure even there judging from search results.

Since I'm honored by your presence, I might also add another point, but it's something a bit off-topic... the English font you're using for this game is a tiny bit... too thin, or at least it seemed that way for me. Other hi-res SNES games (like Secret of Mana) handled it with fonts using "bolded" 2 pixels for vertical parts of the letter graphics. I can only hope you're reconsidering the font choice, but other than this tiny nitpick it seems gorgeous just from the proof of concept screenshots. I really appreciate the work you're doing on this one.

If you're familiar with both games, do you think they're similar enough inserting the PS lines in the SNES version might be something feasible?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, the PS version seems to be very similar to the SNES version with a few added NPCS (townsfolk and the like), and with some people saying more/different things. I guess it would be very feasible to incorporate some of the extra PSX dialogue into the SNES version as we have loads of space in the rom for extra text. However, that would involve also doing a full translation of the PSX version, which I'm not sure melonseller is wanting to do at this point in time... Maybe, it could be something we do 5 years down the road after the SNES version is released ;)

I've also tried to find information in Japanese for this game, and like you wrote, there really isn't that much out there. A couple of FAQs, but nothing like I'm used to seeing for old Japanese SNES games...

Fonts are something that never really affect me much when playing a game, but I know that I'm probably in the minority. This was the base font that Bongo` put in the game, so I know that it could be easily changed. I wonder how other people feel about the thin font we have in there right now... The good thing about is that it allows for a LOT of CPL (Characters per line), but I'm not against changing it. If there's enough "hate" out there for it, then it probably should go! ;D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 am 

I got the idea melonseller was already done with chapter 1 and parts of chapter 2 of the PS version (as a script translation) before he joined you for the SNES version and repurposed lots of it (since both games share a lot).
If it involves any further unwarranted effort on the "Pure" PS version translation - and I assume some purists might not be too keen with additions - forgetting about it is for the better :P (PS1 version seems not like the most optimally programmed game if the folks at the rhdn topic are to be believed, and this SNES one is already no joke technically speaking)

The information drought for this game online is bizarre... I mean, for niche stuff like Tengai Makyou Zero, Summon Night Hajimari no Ishi and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow, I found comprehensive large cheat code lists for items, equipments and even for the first two enemy encounter data such as unused duplicates of the final boss, and a debug enemy giving instantly max EXP (which I added to my private homemade collection :P ). I really need to finish learning ASM for DS and SNES though - finding map values through "not equal" relative search is way too time consuming for me :/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:10 am 

First off, sorry about the 'necropost', but I think it's only fitting I post this here...back when I first heard that D-D was working on G.O.D., I was excited about it and decided to dig up some info on it. I was surprised to find that there really isn't that much detailed info available on it. While browsing this forum, however, I stumbled on melonseller's post (in which he linked a Japanese website with info in Japanese). At the time, I didn't really think it would be useful, as I don't know much Japanese, but I decided to bookmark the site anyway (because you never know when something will come in handy).

Fast-forward to beta testing of G.O.D., and I was only missing TWO monster entries in the Bestiarium (which, of course, were proving quite difficult to find). That's when I remembered the website melonseller linked to, and paid it a visit. There, I found an enemy list, detailing the enemy name and Bestiarium entry number. I can't read much Japanese, so I copy-pasted the Japanese names of the monsters I was missing into an online Japanese dictionary and was surprised to find that two of the many definitions were names of actual fish: Multiband Butterflyfish and Goldtailed Angelfish. A quick Google search revealed that these fish can be found around the western Indian Ocean, so I decided to focus my search in that area. Having visited most of these areas already, I decided to stop at the first island east of Africa, and lo and behold, BOTH missing monsters greeted me almost upon landing.

While the "translated" names from my dictionary search didn't match 100%, at least they pointed me in the right direction and definitely saved me a LOT of time searching for those two elusive monsters. So, thank you, Melonseller, for that link you posted.

That having been said, I've compiled a complete "Enemy Location List" and uploaded it here, in the hope it might save others some frustration:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5lbo26e8r ... %20V5.docx

Please note that, due to the nature of the list, there may be spoilers within. Also, it's far from being an exhaustive list, as many enemies can be found in several areas and I was mainly trying to document where each enemy can be found. Enemies in enemy encounters are randomly chosen from a group of area-specific enemies (from what I've seen), so it may take several enemy encounters before you find the actual enemy you're searching for.

Thanks again, melonseller, just wanted to let you know your link was most helpful. Let's hope another group picks up the PS1 version (I made the mistake of watching some Youtube videos of it, and...now I want to play that one too :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:40 pm 

ベット is actually not a mistake, it's a borrowing from German rather than English, probably borrowed from German with medical terms in the late 19th century.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:16 pm 

Bwah117 wrote:
First off, sorry about the 'necropost', but I think it's only fitting I post this here...back when I first heard that D-D was working on G.O.D., I was excited about it and decided to dig up some info on it. I was surprised to find that there really isn't that much detailed info available on it. While browsing this forum, however, I stumbled on melonseller's post (in which he linked a Japanese website with info in Japanese). At the time, I didn't really think it would be useful, as I don't know much Japanese, but I decided to bookmark the site anyway (because you never know when something will come in handy).

Fast-forward to beta testing of G.O.D., and I was only missing TWO monster entries in the Bestiarium (which, of course, were proving quite difficult to find). That's when I remembered the website melonseller linked to, and paid it a visit. There, I found an enemy list, detailing the enemy name and Bestiarium entry number. I can't read much Japanese, so I copy-pasted the Japanese names of the monsters I was missing into an online Japanese dictionary and was surprised to find that two of the many definitions were names of actual fish: Multiband Butterflyfish and Goldtailed Angelfish. A quick Google search revealed that these fish can be found around the western Indian Ocean, so I decided to focus my search in that area. Having visited most of these areas already, I decided to stop at the first island east of Africa, and lo and behold, BOTH missing monsters greeted me almost upon landing.

While the "translated" names from my dictionary search didn't match 100%, at least they pointed me in the right direction and definitely saved me a LOT of time searching for those two elusive monsters. So, thank you, Melonseller, for that link you posted.

That having been said, I've compiled a complete "Enemy Location List" and uploaded it here, in the hope it might save others some frustration:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5lbo26e8r ... %20V5.docx

Please note that, due to the nature of the list, there may be spoilers within. Also, it's far from being an exhaustive list, as many enemies can be found in several areas and I was mainly trying to document where each enemy can be found. Enemies in enemy encounters are randomly chosen from a group of area-specific enemies (from what I've seen), so it may take several enemy encounters before you find the actual enemy you're searching for.

Thanks again, melonseller, just wanted to let you know your link was most helpful. Let's hope another group picks up the PS1 version (I made the mistake of watching some Youtube videos of it, and...now I want to play that one too :D

Can I use this list as reference for monster hunting on it's Sanctuary page on 'Snesrpggaming' please? would help me greatly in completing that damn monster list guide. I've noticed also you have Phantom listed twice on pages 4 and 5 with all the same information. Once MY monster list is complete your more than welcome to update yours with any extra information that I have added, credits will be given to you also :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:38 pm 

SylarDean: Sure, no problem, glad if it's of some help to you :)

Don't worry about giving me credit, you can, if you want, but it's not necessary.

Oh, and regarding the double "Phantom" entry? Actually, it's a TRIPLED entry (#'s 98, 149, & 158), but there's a reason for it: even though they're the "same" enemy, they're actually three similar enemies you face (it's a boss...a scripted event at the end of the Broadway Theater, where you face all three "Phantoms" at once, which is why their entries are the same (you face them all at the same time, at the same place)). Also, and more importantly, they each have their own "Bestiarium" entry, so I *had* to list each one individually.