Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Name
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:17 am 
Site Admin

Like Draken mentioned, I've finally gotten up the motivation to tackle the remaining script for this game. I don't know if the title has been discussed at all, but as I just dug up the box art I figured I'd provide a potential translation.

G・O・D 目覚めよと呼ぶ声が聴こえ
G.O.D (gee-oh-dee) (From the box art, "Growth or Devolution") Hear the voice calling, "Awaken!"

Also this box art by Tatsuya Egawa is awesome. I've been a casual fan of his for years.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: Name
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:55 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Like Draken mentioned, I've finally gotten up the motivation to tackle the remaining script for this game. I don't know if the title has been discussed at all, but as I just dug up the box art I figured I'd provide a potential translation.

G・O・D 目覚めよと呼ぶ声が聴こえ
G.O.D (gee-oh-dee) (From the box art, "Growth or Devolution") Hear the voice calling, "Awaken!"

Also this box art by Tatsuya Egawa is awesome. I've been a casual fan of his for years.

Sheesh! Can that name be any longer!? Thank goodness the game runs
in HiRes mode :) MAybe we can actually fit it on screen!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:55 am 
Site Admin

Filler's been doing a great job picking up the workload, and I've caught up with all he's given me so far. It's great having some of these misc files feeling like the are finalized at last!

One thing that's annoying about the game title is how the Japanese (and people here in Korea) abbreviate things. G.O.D should have an extra period after the "D". This means that we'll have to change quite a few graphics that are missing the extra period. Oh, and we'll have to lower the "Japanese periods" (not sure what they're called) down so that they don't look like hyphens.

Glad to see the the box actually tells you what G.O.D. stands for because I don't believe it's mentioned anywhere in the actual game. This is also something I will probably try to get added to the title screen - along with the "Hear the voice calling, 'Awaken!'" Though, I'm still not sure what the sub-title should be translated to exactly. I feel like every rendition I've seen has been a little awkward sounding. No offense, of course, as it seems quite hard to make it sound like something appropriate in English. :)

Love the art!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:58 am 
Site Admin

No offense taken. It's definitely an awkward statement. I think it's the verb that makes it seem odd in English. I'm sure we can come up with something that sounds more natural.

BTW: Draken, I noticed there are non-Japanese spaces after all of the comment characters. Do these spaces need to be preserved in the translation?

EX:

Code:
.POINTER = $01713E
; Offset: $0001C971 : 2
; 『おまえ、けっこういいヤツだな。
;  だが、死んでもらうぞ!![bKey]
;
 "You're a pretty swell guy.
 However, you need to die![bKey]
 (<-note space here as well)

Also do the offset statements need to be included? Sorry if you already told me this. :P

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Hey! The file you are working on is (I believe) full of dialogue that pops up during battle. Most of it has those weird lines after the text in the dump, but I don't think you need to be concerned with it when translating. You can ignore it and just focus on the text.

Oddly enough the text found at ; Offset: $0001C9BA : 4 is also located in the main dialogue dumps we have already translated. I tried to test out formatting for this block by inserting the file you are currently working on with only the translation text for this one entry (#4), but sadly it was causing crashes in the game. Hopefully everything will work fine once the whole file is completed. There is also a TON of files that are over the size limit when inserting, so I hope to Jesus Bongo` can get us some more space in the rom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Hey! The file you are working on is (I believe) full of dialogue that pops up during battle. Most of it has those weird lines after the text in the dump, but I don't think you need to be concerned with it when translating. You can ignore it and just focus on the text.

Oddly enough the text found at ; Offset: $0001C9BA : 4 is also located in the main dialogue dumps we have already translated. I tried to test out formatting for this block by inserting the file you are currently working on with only the translation text for this one entry (#4), but sadly it was causing crashes in the game. Hopefully everything will work fine once the whole file is completed. There is also a TON of files that are over the size limit when inserting, so I hope to Jesus Bongo` can get us some more space in the rom.

I'll ignore the extra spaces before the lines and on the new lines for now then. How about the offset information? Does that need to be uncommented?

Here's hoping the expansion goes well!

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

No special formatting needed. Here's an example of what I had done for the entry I mentioned:

Code:
.POINTER = $017171
; Offset: $0001C9BA : 4
; ÇcÇíÅDÇy
; ÅwÇŸÇ®ÅAǮNjǶÇΩÇøÇÕÅAè≠ǵÇÕÇ‹Ç∆LJÇÁǵǢǻÅB
; Å@ǮNjǶÇΩÇøÇÃÇcÇmÇ`ÇLJÇÁǮǧÅB[bKey]
; Å@ǢǢÉÇÉìÉXÉ^Å[Ç™Ç≈ǴǪǧÇæÅB
; Å@Ç≥džÅAñ{ãCÇÇæÇ∑Ç©ÅB
; Å@ǮNjǶÇΩÇøÇÃà‚ì`éqÅEÇcÇmÇ`ÇÕ[bKey]
; Å@Ç´Ç¡Ç∆ǢǢÉÇÉìÉXÉ^Å[ÇǬÇ≠ÇÈÇæÇÎǧÅB
; Å@à¿êSǵǃéÄǠǙǢǢÅI[bKey]
; Also found in M-Text_17
Dr. Z: Oh, it would seem you are much stronger than I
anticipated.[bKey]
I'll have to acquire a sample your DNA for use in my
research... You'll make fine specimens.[bKey]
Now, should I give it my all? I must gather this genetic
material to fuel my research for years to come.[bKey]
Don't worry... Death will be swift!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

An awakening voice beckons!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

In the dumps that have those spaces, they were
Used for indenting the following line one space
In from the first line. Completely up to the editor
If they are kept / used.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:02 am 
Site Admin

I'd just like to resurrect this post and add a little to it.

I'm not 100% sold on the translation we have for this line: 目覚めよと呼ぶ声が聴こえ
So far the possible candidates are:

1. Hear the voice calling, "Awaken!"
2. An awakening voice beckons!

I'm very open to other possibilities even if they are aren't 100% in-line with the literal Japanese. I'm trying to arrive at something that is catchy, but not as overly wordy as the Japanese. I believe the context for the test is
Spoiler! :
in regards to when the player "wakes up" or recovers memories of the past after suffering some form of amnesia from the year 1999 to 2009. Something caused him to remember, but we are not sure exactly why/what

In addition to this, there is another line of "pre-game" text that we didn't get properly translated, and it is:

一九九九の年の七の月
空から恐怖の大王が降りた

Something like:

July 1999
The great king of terror descended from the sky/heavens

Thanks in advance everyone!