Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MISC Files Translations (Probably Contains Spoilers!!)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:00 am 
Site Admin

First off, if you're trying to avoid spoilers, you probably shouldn't read any further!

With that out of the way, I wanted to say welcome! In this thread, I'm going to be periodically putting up some of the dumps we have for the various MISC files used in the game. Please feel free to critique any translations you see that are off, and please do not hesitate to help us out with any of the unfinished material ;) Anything you can do is greatly appreciated!

Let's start off with something simple! These next few all come from the same screen. I left off the Japanese for the first, but kept the others. Now, on the screen, you can clearly see Message Speed with Cursor Position below it. However, nowhere on the screen do I see ルね... Any ideas?

Code:
Message Speed[newl]
"          Fast        Normal        Slow"

;ルね
??

;戦とうカーソルいち
;     もどすぞ     きおくした
Cursor Position[newl]
"          Reset             Save"

Post subject: Re: MISC Files Translations (Probably Contains Spoilers!!)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:23 am 

Whoa, it got official! Congrats for choosing such an awesome game as your next project!
I don't have anything constructive for you though. There seems to be no meaning for "rune" in japanese. Of course there is the english meaning but I don't think it's really in context here. One character being katakana and one being hiragana even makes me wonder if this line is even used in the actual game. Seems unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:57 am 

Looks like you picked a good game from the youtube videos I watched. It seems there was a remake for the playstation too.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:17 am 
Site Admin

Chaos Seed - discounting a myriad of internal factors - in my very limited knowledge of external translation activities, is the greatest "amateur" hack/translation of all time. On top of that, it's the most complex and difficult game I ever played. It's addictive, but not the most in that regard that I ever played. Shadow Hearts was more addictive to me. Finally, the Japanese author of Chaos Seed wrote an amazing story. So, just enjoy this new one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 am 
Site Admin

@ChronoMoogle: "Rune" eh? Hmm.. Weird.. Maybe this is just something that they had planned to use in some way on the settings screen but never got around to implementing it.

@ultpaladin: Yeah, it's actually really fun, and it seems to be one of the few great SNES games left that flies beneath everyone's radar. I know that this game and the PSX version have a very similar script - mostly the same, but the PSX version has a few more things added. I actually would REALLY want to work on the PSX version after finishing the SNES one. I'm not sure how comfortable Bongo` is working with the PSX, though, so maybe someone else would be required to do the hacking. I bet I could get Mellonseller on board, as he was originally working on the PSX scripts ;)

@Wildbill: Indeed, Chaos Seed will probably rank as the most unique gaming experience I have ever had ;) Someday I'll get around to Shadow Hearts. I remember people trying to get me to play it in the past, and the music is done by my favorite composer, so really, it's something I should play. At the moment, however, in my brief moments of free time I'm planning on playing through the entire Suikoden series! Should take a while!

More stuff to come soon!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 am 

Hello. I'm the translator for this game. Nice to meet you all.

To my knowledge ルね means absolutely nothing. Mixing hiragana and katakana like this is strange. I guess it's just random nonsensical text.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:54 pm 

Nice to hear you are working on a new translation.

Nevertheless, I hope this will not draw your attention away from Bakumatsu Korinden ONI. I was really thrilled when I heard DD would consider translating ONI 2. This is one of the most wanted non-translated SNES-RPGs in my point of view. Still remeber talking to Wildbill about it in 2011 or so. This was three years ago - and I just hope you will not get distracted with other projects but finish your translation of ONI 2. Time does not matter. But please, finish it. We want to play it in English. One day!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
Nice to hear you are working on a new translation.

Nevertheless, I hope this will not draw your attention away from Bakumatsu Korinden ONI. I was really thrilled when I heard DD would consider translating ONI 2. This is one of the most wanted non-translated SNES-RPGs in my point of view. Still remeber talking to Wildbill about it in 2011 or so. This was three years ago - and I just hope you will not get distracted with other projects but finish your translation of ONI 2. Time does not matter. But please, finish it. We want to play it in English. One day!

Unfortunately, Pete, we still have the issue of having no translator for Oni II. We had one but they went MIA pretty fast. Unless we can find another competent translator to take up the gauntlet, then Oni II will not be able to move forward. And, unfortunately, they will have to be competent as Oni II is a period piece with some arcane references from what I understand. Oni II isn't necessarily dropped, but it wasn't ever really picked back up officially as a project either. All I can say is, we'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

melonseller wrote:
Hello. I'm the translator for this game. Nice to meet you all.

To my knowledge ルね means absolutely nothing. Mixing hiragana and katakana like this is strange. I guess it's just random nonsensical text.
Welcome, melonseller, and thank you for contributing to the cause.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 am 
Site Admin

@Pete: Don't worry, I'm still doing my part helping out Taskforce with Minverva and hoping to test some more of WildBill's projects once they move into beta. G.O.D. is the only game I'm heading at the moment, so I think you don't have to worry about energy being diverted away from the other games on the list :) As far as Oni goes... It's really too bad that a translator hasn't stepped forward yet. Did we ever post a help-wanted add over at RHDN?

Here's a few more... Some are battle (post-battle) messages. Others are event messages.

Code:
.POINTER = $17D967
; Offset: $000077E7 : 15
;うーむ・・・
;もっとまんじゅうをあつめなくてはやれんのう

.POINTER = $17D962
; Offset: $00007805 : 16
;そこはもうえらんだじゃろう!

.POINTER = $17D9BB
; Offset: $00007816 : 17
;他にもほしいものはあるかい?
;  はい  いいえ

.POINTER = $189433
; Offset: $00007854 : 19
;
; 《[$0C0D]番目の女神がほほえんだ・・・》

.POINTER = $189428
; Offset: $00007871 : 20
;
; 《どこかで、カギの開く音がした・・・》
[newl]
(From somewhere you can can the sound of a door opening...)

.POINTER = $17CDE6
; Offset: $0000788F : 21
; [$0C23]のチャクラコマンドがレベルアップ!
; 《[$0C21]》のチャクラコマンドを手にいれた!
; 《[$0C21]》のチャクラコマンドがレベル[$0C0D]になった!
;Unsure about second two?? Why parentheses around the value?  Unsure what value is for.
[$0C23]'s Chakra leveled up!
Acquired [$0C21] Chakra!
[$0C21] Chakra is now level [$0C0D]!

.POINTER = $18937F
; Offset: $000078E1 : 22
;Really just curious about the "たち" This is used with the next bit of text as well (Also, I left out #23 which only contained [hero])
;[hero]たち

.POINTER = $1893A2
; Offset: $000078E9: 24
;は、ちからつきてしまった・・・
;Is , I've exhaustion ...
 used up all of his strength...

.POINTER = $172F01
; Offset: $00007913 : 26
;
; 《このダンジョンの宝箱を全て手にいれた!》[newl]
(All treasure chests for this dungeon were found)