Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A little idea I've had for testing this game
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm 

According to what I've read here about this game, it seems the testing phase is going to be difficult because of the huge amount of combinations you can do in your party through the several episodes this game has.

Perhaps when the game reaches the open beta stage we could create some kind of spreadsheet and try to take note of every possible party combination for every episode.

But first of all, I'd like to ask: is this game divided "physically" in episodes, like for instance Defenders of Oasis for the Game Gear (where a chapter number and a title appears at every episode transition so you can unmistakably see when you're entering a new one) or does it play seamlessly through the episodes?

If it's similar to Def. of Oasis, then if there's an open beta phase after Wildbill and Sylardean have concluded their first beta pass, the people who are willing (and given permission, obviously) to test it can check out that spreadsheet and see if a certain combination of characters has already been tested for the episode they're in, and they can chose other party members for their playthrough and test new things. And the people who gain access to the final patch(*) can do the same as well and avoid using in their playthroughs party combinations that have already been tested in the previous phases.

(*)I say "people who gain access to the patch" because I'm aware you're still deliberating whether you'll offer the patch publicly or not.

I hope I've conveyed accurately what I wanted to express, given I'm not native English speaker, hehe. I'm going to make a sample spreadsheet as a visual example of my idea and I'll edit this message when I'm done, with a link to it. I don't know the name of all the characters in this game, so I'll make up some of them.

Edit: Here it is. It would be something similar to this. It's quite raw yet and I'm sure it can be improved a lot. It's more a "proof of concept" than something usable right out of the box.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Last edited by akualung on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A little idea I've had for testing this game
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 am 
Site Admin

I'll get back to you, but it appears you just volunteered to do the beta for SSMS-II!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 am 

Wildbill wrote:
I'll get back to you, but it appears you just volunteered to do the beta for SSMS-II!

WOW! :shock: :shock:

I'll be really glad to contribute to the beta testing. I've stated several times how fond I am of the the SSMS saga, so for me it would be such an honor to contribute to make this last installment's translation as best as possible. Of course, I know this project still has to go through several stages until it reaches to the open beta phase, but when the time comes I'll be as ready as I'll ever be!

Thank you very much, really.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm 

Genius idea, akualung! I will keep this in mind whenever I get a chance to give this game a shot, and use an unused combination of characters. I had no idea this game was so close to being finished. I've been lusting after this game ever since SSMS-I was completed. lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Genius idea, akualung! I will keep this in mind whenever I get a chance to give this game a shot, and use an unused combination of characters. I had no idea this game was so close to being finished. I've been lusting after this game ever since SSMS-I was completed. lol
Do I hear a volunteer for beta testing?

All I'm waiting for is SylarDean to have time to do a preliminary test play and for Bongo` to fix a few graphics that need re-drawing, and this one is ready for announced beta testing.

Taskforce doesn't know it yet, but we're gonna ask him to sub a font for the ending credits, as illustrated below, a font that matches others we designed for the English patch. The font you see was already pre-loaded into the Japanese ROM, I believe.

Yep, you will enjoy this game immensely, Swordmaster. It's gonna be considered special by some players, I among them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:18 am 

Wildbill wrote:

I would be honored! Though, what exactly does beta testing entail?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 am 
Site Admin

I'm still quite busy coordinating G.O.D., so I think I'll have to sit this one out :(

Please take my name off the credits as I haven't done anything to contribute to this particular project. But thanks for thinking about me :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that font is eye cancer. What Japanese artist came up with the bright idea to add a random dot to the left side of all letters :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
I'm still quite busy coordinating G.O.D., so I think I'll have to sit this one out :(

Please take my name off the credits as I haven't done anything to contribute to this particular project. But thanks for thinking about me :D
The projected (public) release (if we do) is Thanksgiving or Christmas. Both your project and the Arethas come before it, but that could change, depending upon SylarDean's schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

I would be honored! Though, what exactly does beta testing entail?
I will tell you straight up that beta testing is not everyone's cup o' tea. Some players just want to sit down and enjoy the game the first time with no complications of any kind. Some like to bang through them with cheats and just clear the trigger points for advancement, and both of those choices are totally fine.

The goal of beta testing is to explore every nook and cranny, look for secrets and hidden "easter eggs", and examine every graphic, screen, and construction introduced by the patch. Then, we have a software matrix called D-D "Mantis", bug reporter that allows for any logged on person to file a "bug" report. In this system, a reporter may upload graphics (screenshots) and files, including save-states, SRM saves, and any files (including zipped clusters of files and folders) directly from any online device. The report can be anything from a text overrun to a missing comma, including advocating one word use over another, such as depicting a villain's deed is "detestable" instead of "dastardly".

That's it. The beta tester helps us tighten up the old ship and hopefully catch everything we missed. That's one of the catalysts for revisions, to end up down the line with the best possible game play, bug-free and "correct" in every humanly possible way, perfection, the goal.