Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post subject: Re: SSMS-II enters in-house beta testing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
Hi! :D I'm back, after finishing all the exams at last. I'll know the results by Friday next week (fingers crossed). I've just uploaded a new Mantis report with a few things I've found these last days after resuming the game where I left it. I think I'm very close to the end now.
Okay, we'll get rolling again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 pm 

I will be getting back to it as well, soon. I had to take a break. Also, Steins;Gate 0 has been a major distraction (I love that game). Expect more reports from me in a day or two. Let's "git-r-done", akualung!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm 

Hi, I'm only dropping by to say that I've managed to complete the game. I've found a couple of issues that I'm going to report in mantis shortly.

By the way, I wonder if it's something which can be found on Japanese game cheat sites (I've done a brief search and obtained no results) but using cheat engine I managed to find the address in which the last boss HP is stored:

Spoiler! :
it's only for it's last transformation, when you've beaten Dark twice already and then he turns into a blue blob-like monster called Genie Entity. It has 35000 HP, and the addresses where this 2 byte value is stored are 7E7C46 and 7E7C47. If you use the snes9x built-in cheat function you can change this value to 0 and then beat him in one single blow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It'd be of assistance when you've already beaten the game but you want to beat him again with a different party configuration, because the ending varies a little according to your party members (also, beating this boss is a real pain in the arse, because he keeps randomly changing his weaknesses and you can end up healing him instead of damaging).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 am 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
Hi, I'm only dropping by to say that I've managed to complete the game. I've found a couple of issues that I'm going to report in mantis shortly.

By the way, I wonder if it's something which can be found on Japanese game cheat sites (I've done a brief search and obtained no results) but using cheat engine I managed to find the address in which the last boss HP is stored:

Spoiler! :
it's only for it's last transformation, when you've beaten Dark twice already and then he turns into a blue blob-like monster called Genie Entity. It has 35000 HP, and the addresses where this 2 byte value is stored are 7E7C46 and 7E7C47. If you use the snes9x built-in cheat function you can change this value to 0 and then beat him in one single blow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It'd be of assistance when you've already beaten the game but you want to beat him again with a different party configuration, because the ending varies a little according to your party members (also, beating this boss is a real pain in the arse, because he keeps randomly changing his weaknesses and you can end up healing him instead of damaging).
This is good information. The ending is huge and multi-segmented. Do you intend to play test those party combinations and check all of those ending screens maybe none of us have seen?

MariusB and Swordmaster, do either of you have any more testing to do? Once all three of you are done with this first round of beta testing, I'll look for one volunteer to do a final beta test, then we'll decide how we want to handle distribution of the patch. Quite a number of graphic hacks are needed. Among these are the "Jodan" sets and the very last screen in the ending. We also have some Kana Jocque spits out in battle.

The biggest bug is the Nycalo Mt. Inez song. This may be unfix-able in its current state. We may need to cut the song to the exact space the Japanese used.

Thanks to the three of you for outstanding reviews. I must have made 300 fixes from your reports. Did the game deliver the RPG "goods" for everyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:34 pm 

Sorry, I'm still at Vahn Mountain. I have played very little since my last report. I had thought I would be able to get back to it last week, but fate had other plans. Perhaps fortune will shine on me this week. If all goes well, I'll be able to start up again in a day or two. I don't know how far into the game I am, but I suspect there's a good bit left. Oh how I long for the days when time did not speed by at the speed of light....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm 

Yeah, you're still ways off I'd say, there's a good chunk left, with most of the "mixed" dialogues in there pretty much. I'm gonna get back to it once I finish my run of Aretha, to check some of the improved features and do more mixed dialogue testing. There's still plenty to check; I found a ton of items that weren't even mentioned in the walkthrough, during my second run, let alone more dialogues you can miss. It's an extremely complex game in this sense.

Aretha in comparison is really straightforward (no wonder, considering it's older), but it's a fun game too in its own right! :) Just
Spoiler! :
passed Fort Walzak - by the way, is there any list of all Mixed Forms online? Could come in handy for the testing purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
This is good information. The ending is huge and multi-segmented. Do you intend to play test those party combinations and check all of those ending screens maybe none of us have seen?

Yes, that's the idea :) I've already completed the game with two party combinations, but there are still a few more that can be tested. I have to report in Mantis a few issues I've found using one of these combinations (beating Dark with the hero and the three shell monsters).

Wildbill wrote:
Thanks to the three of you for outstanding reviews. I must have made 300 fixes from your reports. Did the game deliver the RPG "goods" for everyone?

On the contrary, thank you very much to you guys for trusting me and letting me be part of the betatesting team. I've enjoyed this game immensely, it has this classic rpg vibe that, in my opinion, only the nes, snes and first ps1 generation of consoles achieved (obviously there are exceptions). Comparing SSMS I and SSMS II, perhaps I liked more the overworld of the first one, it feels less linear and more centered on exploration (more "NES like", so to speak) while the sequel is more story driven. But the sequel trashes SSMS I in almost every other aspect. Nevertheless, both are outstanding games.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 am 

MariusB wrote:
I found a ton of items that weren't even mentioned in the walkthrough...

So did I, MariusB. Some were in the middle of nowhere! I had just happened to be pressing the "A" button. It would have been nice to have a similar function as the thief's abilities in the Dragon Quest III remakes. At least the skill that informs you of how many items are left hidden in each area.

akualung wrote:
On the contrary, thank you very much to you guys for trusting me and letting me be part of the betatesting team. I've enjoyed this game immensely, it has this classic rpg vibe that, in my opinion, only the nes, snes and first ps1 generation of consoles achieved (obviously there are exceptions). Comparing SSMS I and SSMS II, perhaps I liked more the overworld of the first one, it feels less linear and more centered on exploration (more "NES like", so to speak) while the sequel is more story driven. But the sequel trashes SSMS I in almost every other aspect. Nevertheless, both are outstanding games.

This is a perfect echo of my soul.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 am 

akualung wrote:
Yes, that's the idea :) I've already completed the game with two party combinations, but there are still a few more that can be tested. I have to report in Mantis a few issues I've found using one of these combinations (beating Dark with the hero and the three shell monsters).

Just make sure to switch the "Order" of the characters in the menu when testing. It influences what the dialogues are to a huge degree. I found quite a few errors that way, but I'm 100% certain there's more left. Apart from all the minor issues, this is definitely one aspect of the game that needs more thorough testing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Might be wise to do what Draken did after the second round of beta testing. Release v0.99 as a prerelease to catch any final issues and then release the 1.00 at a future date ones reports come back in on what was found.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next