Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Post subject: Re: SSMS-II enters in-house beta testing
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

If we decide to release SSMS-II to the general public, what needs to be done besides the rest of your testing phases, plus a few assembly fixes of menus by Bongo`, the Jocque graphic conversions, and the ending Kana graphic conversions?

Ohhh I hope we see it! DDs work is just too good!
You'll play it, DoubleDvideogames, if you want. Regardless of what we do or don't do, once we mention it's V1.00, just PM me and provide an e-mail address that will allow attaching a file up to about 6 MB.

If we should decide to share it only with people who have posted support of our work over the last 20 years here at D-D, MD, Stealth, CTC, etc., we figure there's less chance of it falling into the hands of someone who is just lurking in the background, waiting to condemn it out-of-hand, a so-called RPG fan who doesn't even want to play it, just dump the English dialogue, run global word searches, and set off on withering rampages of cyber-hate. We don't create our patches for that type, just tolerant people who love RPGs, accept differences of opinion gracefully, and respect freedom of speech.

We've discussed this subject thoroughly on other boards over the past four months, since we released Minerva at Christmas. I don't want to rip it all open again here, because that just drains off our creative energy and time for a stupid reason. Personally, I just want to keep our work out of the hands of haters, people who focus their existence on trying to create misery because this defeats the purpose of hobbies and recreation.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 pm 

On the topic of freedom of speech: Wildbill, check out this video whenever you have the time, eh?

https://youtu.be/0kGBQSXX_GU

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
On the topic of freedom of speech: Wildbill, check out this video whenever you have the time, eh?

https://youtu.be/0kGBQSXX_GU
THAT was interesting. Thanks! I've been fighting tyranny in one place or another since I was 19. As long as it doesn't encroach on our reasonable rights, we must always accept the lawful activities and behavior of others, but this doesn't mean we roll over and allow the lunatics to run the asylum, even if it's a radical teacher in school or a crazy work supervisor who has power over our grades and career opportunities. If no other way, cut losses and move on.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 am 

Good video, actually - lots of valid points there! On the topic of SSMS-II, I did some script writing too, so I understand the woes that go with it, and I guess I grew a bit thick-skinned because of that as well. I find there's always someone who dislikes your efforts, and it's a miracle that it took so long to hear any sort of buzzing in the background, as I like to call it. Often the real challenge is being able to separate just the empty buzzing from valid criticism, whenever it applies. Either way, I think that SSMS-II is a wonderful game that stood the test of time, and it doesn't need to defend itself from anyone or anything for that matter. All I can say is that the fans of SSMS-I would surely love this one as well!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:34 am 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
Good video, actually - lots of valid points there! On the topic of SSMS-II, I did some script writing too, so I understand the woes that go with it, and I guess I grew a bit thick-skinned because of that as well. I find there's always someone who dislikes your efforts, and it's a miracle that it took so long to hear any sort of buzzing in the background, as I like to call it. Often the real challenge is being able to separate just the empty buzzing from valid criticism, whenever it applies. Either way, I think that SSMS-II is a wonderful game that stood the test of time, and it doesn't need to defend itself from anyone or anything for that matter. All I can say is that the fans of SSMS-I would surely love this one as well!
Good FB from the 2nd person in the world to beat the English version of SSMS-II.

So, here's a tough question. Even though a sequel, SSMS-II is constructed a bit differently. Disregarding the improvement in #2's graphics, which of the two games is "better"?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 am 

Wildbill wrote:
So, here's a tough question. Even though a sequel, SSMS-II is constructed a bit differently. Disregarding the improvement in #2's graphics, which of the two games is "better"?

I like the structure of SSMS-II somewhat more - especially
Spoiler! :
the dungeons where 2 teams have to cooperate to finish them - shame they kinda underutilized that idea. Also, Jocque really steals the show, whenever he appears!
The second game also has even more hidden stuff, which is quite incredible, considering that the first game was no slouch in the secrets department either! I guess that moving on to a game like 3x3, which has barely anything of that sort, will be quite a gaming shock. :) I'm still continuing the test run, by the way - just had some time off, to go back to it with a fresh perspective!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:17 pm 

Wildbill, you noted this to akualung on Issue #0000589:

"I wasn't sure about the semi-colon in the first graphic either. I'm open to suggestions for better ways to convey instructions. This is the Japanese:

「エ~ ゴホン
; ここからは 2つのパーティーの
; 協力なしでは ぬけられんぞ…
; Yボタンで 2つのパーティーを
; 切りかえて進むのじゃ よいな…
"

Curiosity got the better of me, so I gave it an amateur shot using Google Translate (lol). I hope you don't mind if I post this...

Ok, Google Translate gave me this:

"From here you can not go without cooperation of the two parties ...
You can switch between the two parties with Y button ..."

Which I then remodeled into:

"From here you must use 2 cooperating parties.
Use the Y button to switch between them."

What do you think? That was fun. Language (especially Japanese) is so fascinating to me! I see translation as a very interesting puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:48 pm 

I've tried again, with the latest patched rom (SSMS-II-May-7-18), that part of the dialog with
Spoiler! :
Sonia
I reported in the issue 0000589. I've tried from an srm file in which I am outside
Spoiler! :
Crystal Castle
in saveslot 1, and have tried that dialog several times, but the "stranded" dialog about Port Marinela keeps appearing at the end. I've avoided using savestate or speeding up the emulation in case it had something to do with that, but to no avail.

If you guys can test that scene in your respective savegames, so as to know if there's something wrong with my srm file... If you need it, I can reopen the issue in Mantis and attach my srm file.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:27 am 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
I've tried again, with the latest patched rom (SSMS-II-May-7-18), that part of the dialog with
Spoiler! :
Sonia
I reported in the issue 0000589. I've tried from an srm file in which I am outside
Spoiler! :
Crystal Castle
in saveslot 1, and have tried that dialog several times, but the "stranded" dialog about Port Marinela keeps appearing at the end. I've avoided using savestate or speeding up the emulation in case it had something to do with that, but to no avail.

If you guys can test that scene in your respective savegames, so as to know if there's something wrong with my srm file... If you need it, I can reopen the issue in Mantis and attach my srm file.
Did you try with the revision I sent out just a few hours ago dated May 7? In that one, I typed over the Marinela string and recompiled.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Wildbill, you noted this to akualung on Issue #0000589:

"I wasn't sure about the semi-colon in the first graphic either. I'm open to suggestions for better ways to convey instructions. This is the Japanese:

「エ~ ゴホン
; ここからは 2つのパーティーの
; 協力なしでは ぬけられんぞ…
; Yボタンで 2つのパーティーを
; 切りかえて進むのじゃ よいな…
"

Curiosity got the better of me, so I gave it an amateur shot using Google Translate (lol). I hope you don't mind if I post this...

Ok, Google Translate gave me this:

"From here you can not go without cooperation of the two parties ...
You can switch between the two parties with Y button ..."

Which I then remodeled into:

"From here you must use 2 cooperating parties.
Use the Y button to switch between them."

What do you think? That was fun. Language (especially Japanese) is so fascinating to me! I see translation as a very interesting puzzle.
Now that you've played that shadow world and understand what you must do, the raw machine translation makes more sense. Try untangling similar puzzles 10,000 times, and you have just translated yourself a whole RPG!

Five years ago, the phrase "machine translations" was almost "dirty talk" in this hobby, but something I've discovered recently is that the "machine" is much more accurate (in many cases) these days than ever before. When I first started trying my hand at translating 20 years ago, I used several Japanese dictionary hard copy books, along with Jim Breen's online dictionary that was hosted at a college website in Australia. Today, I'm finding that when I re-translate a string that a tester finds confusing, sometimes I'm getting better results in the machine that I did three years and even six months ago - especially RPG terminology. This may be due to users constantly submitting "better" translations online.

Another function I carry out frequently is translating whole Japanese websites. Once I've read three or four accounts of how to crack a certain puzzle to reach a magic mirror in mountain cave, the light usually comes on. Once I actually have the mirror in my pack, I know exactly what I didn't "get" earlier, regarding a clue back in town or from a Japanese player's FAQ paragraph. Suddenly, all of the scattered bits and pieces form into a picture or pattern - weeding out the fluff - and a whole result appears obvious, after-the-fact.

Last, but not least, I run searches on item names, inputting the actual Kana/Kanji, and sometimes a photograph of the specific item or it's namesake will pop up at a translated Japanese website. Occasionally, I will learn that an item is named after a cultural symbol or features that the machine will never recognize, such as the "Ceramic Urn armor" for character "Urnie" in SSMS-II. Instead of using the actual Japanese word for "ceramic", the writer picked the name of a company that manufactures fine ceramics. It would be like us naming Cinderella's ballroom shoes "Waterford Slippers" instead of crystal or glass slippers.

Yes, being as thorough as possible is all very time-consuming but worth it. I could have left that urn with the name I stuck on it three years ago "Fancy Urn" (or whatever it was), but "ceramic" is accurate. So, this is what makes translating a grueling experience for me, unless I have a partner such as Hausen who recognizes real people and occurrences in a culture and history such as China's, in which the weird Japanese nomenclature for many situations makes sense only to Japanese speakers and will never translate accurately in a machine (at least not consistently), even after checking the "alternate" readings.

Okay, on another PC, I will now go see how ("From here, you must use 2 cooperating parties. Use the Y button to switch between them.") compares to what I have already entered in that string. I can't work on SSMS-II in a 64-bit Windows 10 environment (where I am right now) because Bongo`'s insertion program crashes. That's because he wrote part of it in DOS, that runs in Windows 7/Vista/XP 32-bit just fine, hee-hee...! Fortunately, I still have a few "dinosaur" PCs on standby as backups!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next