Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Post subject: SSMS-II enters in-house beta testing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

This means I have completed the 2nd pass. All of the overlaying and merging of files from my work through V0.67 and Gerb's nearly complete re-translation of the entire script - including my only translation of the final third of the game - has been accomplished.

Initially, SylarDean and I will be the only teammates doing this in-house beta testing phase. As he has time, SylarDean will play through the entire game and send me reports of corrections that need to be made and any other matters we need to address in order to get the game ready for further in-house testing. Once everyone in D-D who wishes to do so has play-tested this game, I'll assemble the usual squad of volunteers for full beta testing. I have set no time limit on this phase.

SSMS-II English is very stable, but it's also quite complex. Combinations of interactions when mixing individual combatants for fighter teams lead to a seeming infinite number of possibilities that affect what dialogue is displayed on the screen. In other words, someone could play the game ten times and see different conversations and remarks in those same scenes played previously. Time limit-wise, it's impractical for me to try all of these combinations and check every single string in all of the blocks for text overruns and the like. I expect reports will trickle in for quite some time with screenshots of text boxes with formatting glitches.

If we release this patch to the general public, I can see as many as three or four revisions, over time. As SylarDean and I work through this phase, we will post progress reports here, occasionally.

Post subject: Re: SSMS-II enters in-house beta testing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:29 am 

Congrats.

Hope it goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:17 am 
Site Admin

gerb wrote:
Congrats.

Hope it goes well.
Wow, I was hoping you would drop by sometime. I re-did all of the script where I had input from you - all but a few middle chapters around Port Marinela - pre-disaster at Kutomina - that you didn't have time to get to. I also ran down all of your "TODOs", a hundred or so, mostly a bit of additional probing required, for context. It all fell into place. The main point I picked up from your work was the actual central metaphor "beyond the fog". You called this phrase a "TODO". Actually, with everything assembled, it perfectly nailed the previously inexplicable point of separation between the two SSMSs.

We will have a bit of graphics work converting the Jodans to Jocques, but that shouldn't be too much bother. Essentially I merged your precise translations with my story tone and and feel and adopted a huge measure of your character voices from where you picked up on nuances in your translations.

i.e. "Poyon: Guess it just sorta worked well that way! Now, when do we eat!?"

So, you seemed like a pretty busy fellow a few years ago, but if you're bored, I'm trying to get Bongo` to assemble a good dump of Shiki Eiyuuden. No one would need to twist my arm too hard to accept a *Ahem* "volunteer" to help me knock out THAT translation!!

Hope everything in your "real" life is going well for you, Gerb, and thanks again for all the good work on both SSMS's!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am 

SSMS-I : 2015
SSMS-II : 2018

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 pm 

I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, MariusB and akualung. The ROM should be in your mailboxes soon.

Couple of quick notes:

1. Check out the huge size of the ROM - 5.5 MB.
2. The game runs on a clock. Gameplay is not affected, but time shrines are.
3. Using save-states can and will "mess up" your clock, but you can reset it, on demand.
4. If you enter your birthday and visit a timekeeper on the actual date, crazy good things happen!
5. The birthday event needs to be tested by someone but comes around only one day per year.
6. Using cheats may affect and complicate your gameplay and testing, or worse! Be careful!
7. The FAQ out there is a good one but not wholly consistent with our English version, name-wise.
8. I have a VERY HEAVILY EDITED FAQ for my own internal use.

MariusB, I appreciate you jumping in to get testing going on this. You are one of the best de-buggers ever!

akualung, I appreciate your help the same and have special words for you below.

Knowing your mind pretty well, akualing, I predict that once you get into this thing, you won't be able to set it down. Therefore, you must promise me you won't allow SSMS-II to adversely affect your Japanese studies.

If I sound like a parent, I am. My two sons had their "moments" in Duke and Yale Universities, two very demanding institutions here in the states. Occasionally, I had to do a little butt-kicking to help my boys re-focus on their priorities!

Work hard, study hard, play hard, and keep things in balance! Enough preaching. Have fun!

Both of you fellows, as I said at the top, check your mailboxes soon...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 pm 

Wildbill wrote:

Couple of quick notes:

3. Using save-states can and will "mess up" your clock, but you can reset it, on demand.
4. If you enter your birthday and visit a timekeeper on the actual date, crazy good things happen!
5. The birthday event needs to be tested by someone but comes around only one day per year.
6. Using cheats may affect and complicate your gameplay and testing, or worse! Be careful!
7. The FAQ out there is a good one but not wholly consistent with our English version, name-wise.

MariusB, I appreciate you jumping in to get testing going on this. You are one of the best de-buggers ever!

Knowing your mind pretty well, akualing, I predict that once you get into this thing, you won't be able to set it down. Therefore, you must promise me you won't allow SSMS-II to adversely affect your Japanese studies.

If I sound like a parent, I am. My two sons had their "moments" in Duke and Yale Universities, two very demanding institutions here in the states. Occasionally, I had to do a little butt-kicking to help my boys re-focus on their priorities!

Work hard, study hard, play hard, and keep things in balance! Enough preaching. Have fun!

I'm really grateful to you putting your trust in me in this beta-testing. I'll do it to the best of my abilities. Of course, my Japanese studies are very important to me and I won't let them aside, nor any other of my obligations, that's for sure. To me, being able to someday contribute to the fan-translation community would be like closing the circle which started the day I saw for the first time Final Fantasy V in perfect English after applying the RPGe patch and realizing in awe that such feat was possible (back in that day I thought that, regarding any rpg that didn't recieve an official translation and published in the west, the ship simply "had sailed" for them and would never be translated, remaining obscure forever and only available to those brave enough to try and master such "monster" of a language). The fantranslation community proved me wrong, and I'm so glad about that :D

So, to sum up: I'll keep everything in balance, this I can assure ;) I really appreciate your kind words, Wildbill.

Last edited by akualung on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:48 pm 

Wildbill wrote:

Couple of quick notes:

Thank you WB! So far the game's off to a really cool start! Also, on the newest version of SNES9x (the one updated/modified for Tengai Makyou Zero) the savestates DO NOT seem to mess up the clock, so that's good news. :) I'll test that out some more later on, and I'll try to get that b-day event down too, with a bit of data manipulation. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 pm 

I'm still available if you need another beta tester, Wildbill. This and Shiji Hero Legend are probably the only games that can pull me away from Final Fantasy IV T-Edition that I've been playing recently.

Last edited by Swordmaster on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:40 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
I'm still available if you need another beta tester, Wildbill. This and Shiji Hero Legend and probably the only games that can pull me away from Final Fantasy IV T-Edition that I've been playing recently.
Unless I erased some messages, the last PM I had from you was Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:52 am. Your e-mail address was not written in that communication, so I will need that.

With so many dialogue variations possible with different character and party assortments, another tester such as yourself would be good. That way, we'll catch more needed refinements. So, you're on! If you have time, please check other Mantis reports so as to hopefully limit dual bugs. Just need that address.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next