Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2nd Pass of SSMS-II
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

For SylarDean:

Town name changes. The re-write is going well. Just finished Chapter 12 (50%)

Spoiler! :
1. Gross Town is now Chimoy Town (Jap. Kimoi).
2. Kotai Village is now Medium Village.
3. Jodan's Island is now Jocque's Ranch.
4. Judgement Fountain is now Judgment Fountain (spelling fix)

One meaning of "kimoi" is Gaijin-slang gross, repulsive, detestable, etc. It is an insult. My original translation did not catch the Gaijin connection. Gerb caught it and came up with about six suggested translations. One was "Chimoy". The others related to the odor of the local winery in the air. None of those seemed to work as well as Gerb's transliteration.

Kotai has several meanings in Japanese: solid body, an individual, old-style or custom, of which the occult "medium" is one. Gerb suggested several names here, as well. One was "Village of the Medium". I ran with that because the spiritualist, Jalama, who delivers "cleansed" souls to Vahn Mountain is headquartered in what is now called Medium Village. She even maintains a scrying instrument on top of her altar (looks like a typical crystal ball).

Medium Village also works well because it is mid-point between Galahar, Chimoy, Judgment Fountain, and Port Marinela.

Also these:

5. Time Temple #5 may be added near Jem Village.
6. Time Temple #4 may be added (underwater in beginning) south of The Lighthouse at the southern tip of the shoal.

Edit: Graphic added...

Thought you might want to update your map.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 am 

Wildbill wrote:
For SylarDean:

Spoiler! :
1. Gross Town is now Chimoy Town (Jap. Kimoi).

One meaning of "kimoi" is Gaijin-slang gross, repulsive, detestable, etc. It is an insult. My original translation did not catch the Gaijin connection. Gerb caught it and came up with about six suggested translations. One was "Chimoy". The others related to the odor of the local winery in the air. None of those seemed to work as well as Gerb's transliteration.

Kotai has several meanings in Japanese: solid body, an individual, old-style or custom, of which the occult "medium" is one. Gerb suggested several names here, as well. One was "Village of the Medium". I ran with that because the spiritualist, Jalama, who delivers "cleansed" souls to Vahn Mountain is headquartered in what is now called Medium Village. She even maintains a scrying instrument on top of her altar (looks like a typical crystal ball).

Medium Village also works well because it is mid-point between Galahar, Chimoy, Judgment Fountain, and Port Marinela.

Also these:

6. Time Temple #4 may be added (underwater in beginning) south of The Lighthouse at the southern tip of the shoal.

Np, i'll get on with editing those tomorrow, :) thanks for the heads up.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm 

Spoiler! :
Wildbill wrote:
For SylarDean:

[spoiler]1. Gross Town is now Chimoy Town (Jap. Kimoi).

Also these:

[/spoiler]

Kotai is now Medium Village.. does this also mean that Kotai Prison is now Medium Prison?

Can you also screenie the map ive done and mark on there where exactly the two other time temples are please..? just I don't want to put them in the wrong place, i'll then edit them on the main map ive edited already, thanks :)

NOTE: Gross, Kotai, jodan's Island and spring of judgement has now all been changed on all the sanctuary pages they are mentioned on to what you have suggested. Made corrections to the new World Map other than adding in the two Time Temples cos I don't know exactly where they go.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Spoiler! :
Wildbill wrote:
For SylarDean:

Kotai is now Medium Village.. does this also mean that Kotai Prison is now Medium Prison?

Can you also screenie the map ive done and mark on there where exactly the two other time temples are please..? just I don't want to put them in the wrong place, i'll then edit them on the main map ive edited already, thanks :)

NOTE: Gross, Kotai, jodan's Island and spring of judgement has now all been changed on all the sanctuary pages they are mentioned on to what you have suggested. Made corrections to the new World Map other than adding in the two Time Temples cos I don't know exactly where they go.

Spoiler! :
Kotai's prison is indeed "Medium Prison" now or "The Medium's Prison", but I don't see the prison's previous name used anywhere in the scripts - just a reference to the prison Jalama maintains underneath her shrine, that was used by Phantom Queen during the time she indwelt Jalama and robbed the souls of living good people because that's what demons do!

I was all set to print out your map and do manual annotations. Can't find it in my files. Could you please give me another DL link? This time I'll back it up everywhere (about 15 places, literally).

I will have hundreds of changes that will affect your sanctuary, as I have been cranking in many of Gerb's suggestions, doing better research on monster names, etc.

Spoiler! :
These include the biggie that "Shellgame" at the Fountain of Judgment is now "Old Reaper", which makes a lot more sense - since eternal life is a judgment, not a gamble. After all, Jalama delivers the judged souls. Old Reaper just sort of spot checks them off the list, sends them up Vahn Mt., and guards the "other side" from demon penetration.

Eventually, you'll see all of these types of changes. I also have a HEAVILY edited FAQ NEVER for public release, as the backbone of it belongs to the author, but when you're ready to dig in, I will provide it to you in it's most recently updated form. Arcadia did an outstanding job on the original, way back in 2005.

Gerb did not re-translate the middle of the game, I just discovered two nights ago when I got to...
Spoiler! :
Port Marinela just prior to sailing to Port Seaba.
No problem. The game is crystal clear at that point, thanks to Arcadia's work. On a first pass, the middle is where I always hit my stride anyway. Gerb did re-translate the final third. I should say - translated it for the first time. He joined the effort when I was two-thirds through the scripts and he finished or refined mostly everything I had only rough-translated, throughout. Gerb fixed the time temples, EXTENSIVE situational character chatter in text block 20, and most of the sidequests. Wherever he found ambiguities or context fuzziness, Gerb wrote copious notes, suggestions, theories, and "todo" lists. In addition to that, Gerb is a talented localizing and character-building writer, himself. Our styles in SSMS-II are merging seamlessly.

Today, I am 58% through the 2nd pass. I have also discovered that rough machine translations are much better than five years ago. With a bit of necessary research on the side, (like changing Urnie's
Spoiler! :
Granite Urn to Porcelain because it happens to be named after a company in Japan that manufactures fine porcelain)
I believe a fairly experienced patch-builder willing to devote the time who has a good FAQ in hand can achieve 98 or 99% accuracy in the year 2018. As do Western writers, obviously, Japanese authors frequently write about what they know.

Finally, I have a translation of the cart manual, by Gerb, out of which also came our world map. I haven't edited it yet, but I will provide an upload of it to you privately soon. As always, fitting the English translation on a manual layout in the same space the Japanese fit nicely will be a trick.

School comes first. Then family. Then, hobbies. I fully understand this. Your personal priorities are "straight", SylarDean, as a lot of people I know put it, but do send me that Map link again, please!

This game is really coming together amazingly. It's gonna be fantastic! It would be a shame if we decide to share it only with ourselves and friends who visit D-D offering positive support. But I already voted we might try one more public release of a patch I coordinate. As I said previously, we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm 

I for my part really look forward to playing your next translation. Wildbill, just let the haters hate...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am 

@wildbill you can pick up the nearly finished one here on this site for the editing you need to do, i have changed the suggestions on my personal copy i have on my PC..
so just make the changes to this one and i'll get on it.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=890&p=10569#p10569

Spoiler! :