Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Storywriting and Debugging Continues... Other news...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Just this very morning I loaded a save-state where I left off - a remote village the Catastrophe changed from a snowy landscape into a mud-hole. I had half-polished my story line in this village. The other half consisted of my original rough translations. I reviewed the scene in which two children were engaged in a mud-ball fight, unsure if the little girl was enjoying them or was tired of being muddy all the time. So, I did what I always do while progressing inside this game. I pulled out Gerb's files and viewed his translations of the matching block. Gerb had made the scene perfectly clear. I wrote that exchange accurately and moved on to the next village scene. That's basically it. As of today, I'm moving forward with SSMS-II again.

In the meantime, I found time to keep a deadline commitment I made to Taskforce regarding Princess Minerva. I have also played through La Wares twice and polished that game's story. When Bongo`'s ready, I'll forward a fairly small bug report. Once he's addressed those issues, this one will be ready for in-house beta testing and beyond.

I've done the same thing with Aretha-II. The story and features are finished, and I re-formatted it for long names. I thought I had it ready for in-house testing, then I found a Japanese website that explained how to find several amazing, well-hidden "Easter eggs". Once located, I discovered that one item contained a menu that looks like we never dumped or translated it. A second bug was caused by excessive data that when translated to English, it overwhelmed the screen and corrupted the game's over-world graphics. These two reports have also gone to Bongo`. I've already reformatted Aretha-II for long names. When we fix those two Easter egg bugs, this game will also be ready for testing.

90% of Aretha-I needs to be reformatted for long names. When that's done, this game will also be ready for testing. Additionally, Bongo` is reviewing the space to see if we can still possibly have 2Line support like we do in the sequel. That would be nice but not essential.

Reason for my hiatus: I am the guardian for two disabled family members. Managing them has been more than full time, seven days a week these past two years. I have had lots of outside support from other family members, doctors, institutions, social services, and the like. Recently, we moved one member into what's called a "Memory Care Unit", within a retirement community, meaning she is almost as helpless as an infant now. The other is receiving mental health services for the first time in his life. Recently, we moved him into a state home with a lock-down policy. That means he is now receiving the services he has always needed and no longer has the total independence to wander impulsively, day or night, placing himself in potential jeopardy - requiring a number of people to venture out on short notice and go searching for him. Sure, I had spare time here and there but was never free of the distractions, actions, and administrative burdens this work caused - never able to find adequate periods of time in which I could immerse myself in projects and screen out the whole world for days at a time.

This doesn't mean I'm completely free of family responsibilities. A crisis with one or both could occur at any moment, but I no longer must oversee them daily in an independent living arrangement and provide most of their transportation needs. Why did these duties fall to me? Years ago, I made a promise to do so if someday the need arose. That time came, and I kept my word. Simple as that. Now, I'm back. Until caught up, I will spend most of my available hobby time working on my backlog. Later, I will try visit with folks on the boards more often. I plan to keep writing stories indefinitely. Everything in our future depends on the inclinations and schedules of all of us in the core group.

BTW, I have really enjoyed playing Minerva, Aretha-I, Aretha-II, and La Wares from beginning to end - recently - and in English. When the time comes, I hope all of you will feel the same way. At this time we have no release schedule, but we can speculate that at least one game may be ready fairly soon.

Post subject: Re: Storywriting and Debugging Continues... Other news...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm 

Just wanted to say thank you for the commitment, in spite of all the obstacles! I am especially looking forward to La Wares (as I'm a fan of the mecha genre) and SSMS II as far as your projects are concerned. I quite enjoyed playing through the first SSMS game, it was a really pleasant experience. Reminded me of why I used to spend a lot of time with the JRPGs of yore. Still, as they say, when it's done, it's done. In this case, it's best to give the games the treatment they deserve. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Princess Minerva is getting close, more on that very soon in the PM forum. I'd rather not hijack this thread for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 pm 

welcome back Wildbill, i'm glad things are starting to get some normalcy for you, and totally understand the reasons behind why you've not been around. I too am in a similar but not as bad situation as you once were and find it hard to cope on times to manage just college full-time and caring for 2 adults. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with some of these projects but please don't rush them, take your time and create masterpieces, as what you usually do.

Any way, nice to have you back finally and getting some work done on projects, best of luck for future projects you have. :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:58 am 
Site Admin

So happy to see this message up on the forums, WB! You've been working like a well-oiled machine this past month, and so much work has been made on a lot of projects. Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
So happy to see this message up on the forums, WB! You've been working like a well-oiled machine this past month, and so much work has been made on a lot of projects. Keep up the great work!
I'm-a gonna try! How-some-ever, my older son, daughter, and granddaughter are arriving at the airport tomorrow. I'll get a bit done along through the holidays, but it'll be more spotty until January.