Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Translator request should also be on romhacking.net
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:16 pm 

Hi all, I have a suggestion. I like this RPG, but I felt that the best translators will visit romhacking.net more frequently than dynamic-designs.us and it should be faster to source for translators from that website.

Good luck finding a loyal translator.

Post subject: Re: Translator request should also be on romhacking.net
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 am 
Site Admin

ebony841 wrote:
Hi all, I have a suggestion. I like this RPG, but I felt that the best translators will visit romhacking.net more frequently than dynamic-designs.us and it should be faster to source for translators from that website.

Good luck finding a loyal translator.
Thank you for the encouragement, ebony841. I can't wait to get after this one. I feel confident that one of the most respected translators will come forward. Or it could be someone new, sort of like Shiva Indus coming out of the blue and rescuing us with Silva Saga-II. Now, we even have Recca's Romanian version out there and 4ph's French translation of Silva Saga-II - all because of these amazing translators and Bongo`'s coding abilities. We are at a point in our history where we feel motivated to create more multi-language patches for the best untranslated SNES RPGs that we can handle technically.

Thanks to TF for putting up this board.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Wagner, I sent you a link in PM and also a few words about translating SSMS-II. I see it in my "Outbox" but not my "Sent" box. PM is screwy sometimes when I try to use it (because I don't use it very often). I'm not sure if my message got through to you or not.

I am involved in long distance travel right now. When I get settled in at my ultimate destination and catch my breath, I will hope I have all of my needed files with me and try to get everything done I've promised to you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 am 

I have time to hack on the translation now that Winter is coming and work has died down a bit.

What's the process here? Do you have a repository to commit script changes to or just pass around files or wiki?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:15 am 
Site Admin

gerb wrote:
I have time to hack on the translation now that Winter is coming and work has died down a bit.

What's the process here? Do you have a repository to commit script changes to or just pass around files or wiki?

How's it going, Gerb. First off, sorry to hear about the work slowing down. What type of work are you doing?

As for the script files, we tend to zip'em up and drop'em in the lap of a translator that we eventually have shackled in a creepy, damp basement. We do feed them gruel which can be quite tasty after a few months of water and bread. :) ( J/K )

We do zip them up and send off to you. Not sure how W/B would like to handle the process.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:45 am 
Site Admin

gerb wrote:

Heh, maybe I can spring you into a translating environment with upgraded habitability from Bongo`'s setup! Naturally, I hate to see someone have his work slow down to a pace that may be less than he wants, especially with the holidays coming. Of course, we are pleased to accept all of the help you have time to contribute.

Actually, this game is somewhat more advanced than anyone except Bongo`, Cody (who is playing the earlier part of the game for QA, not beta testing), and I realize. We have a roughly V0.65 beta at the moment - main story-wise. I have been struggling a bit with certain areas of support dialogue, the time temples, a couple of shops in MyTown, etc. I don't know how much you can do in the time you have, but if you feel it could be limited, maybe you could key in on these areas I mentioned and start working were I am currently building the English game.

Arcadia has written an outstanding walk-through that has helped me immensely. I've been editing it heavily for internal use only, standardizing with the first game, etc. Arcadia divided the story into a (long) Intro and 24 chapters. I just started working Chapter 16, The Dark Zone. Most of that episode is in Block 007. Things jump around between blocks occasionally, but it's been manageable.

I must say this game is developing into a really fun play. It's challenging and filled with drama. I think the most efficient way to do this is for us to touch base in PM and exchange e-mail addresses. Then, I should send you the current working ROM, the edited FAQ, all of the text and misc files, and some key saves and save-states that will show you what happened at the end of Chapter 15 and get you to the spot where I'm working in 16 now.

Then, if you have time, maybe concurrently, you could start at the very beginning and review all of the strings we've already loaded in English (while actually playing the game in English, maybe?), backstopping me on anything I interpreted totally wrong. Gerb, you developed a quaint tone in SSMS-I that I really enjoyed, built upon, and have tried to carry through this game, the girls calling the fellows "cuties", etc. Poyon and Urnie are still a lark. Robot is fun, and so is Shamil. You'll see!

When you get to the earlier text blocks from the Intro through Chapter 15 (blocks 001 through 006), you'll see some unrefined strings here and there. These are ones I haven't encountered in the game, and they will need major fixing. I think this will be less grueling for you than handing you a Japanese dump and working from a Japanese ROM. You'll find the English game very well developed two-thirds of the way.

So, it's fairly straightforward. If you can get block 007 text wrapped up and sent back my way, I can keep writing - faster because I'm won't be struggling with some of the strings - many taking me an hour or so to research all of the possible readings and piece together a cohesive game scene. Then, after we finish the rest of the story through the Chapter 24 ending and clean everything up from the Intro through 15, we'll be all good!

Gerb, we're really happy to have you on the team! I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:02 pm 

Bongo` wrote:
How's it going, Gerb. First off, sorry to hear about the work slowing down. What type of work are you doing?

Nah, it's more going from the super busy summer time when everything is due to a more relaxed environment for a while. Also had a conference presentation I worked on over the summer that's over with. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:06 pm 

Okay, so I'll work on Block 007 first and then expand from there.

I'll send a PM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

gerb wrote:
Bongo` wrote:

Nah, it's more going from the super busy summer time when everything is due to a more relaxed environment for a while. Also had a conference presentation I worked on over the summer that's over with. :-)
This sounds a bit like the sort of work my older son does. He's an Oracle Policy Automation (OPA) consultant. He writes rule bases for customers needing management systems to handle everything from state health exchanges for Obamacare to keeping track of endowments and donations at universities. Seems he's always flying off somewhere, working seven days a week, day and night because of world-wide customers in different time zones. I can't even plan a fishing trip with him! And he's trying to get me into OPA, but I only wanna fish, build houses, and write games! Okay, coming your way with files! Give me a few hours to organize...