Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: SSMS II Maps...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:56 pm 

Thanks, Wildbill. You didn't have to do that, but I do appreciate it. I mean, that's completely unexpected, considering that my contribution has been minimal (compared to everyone else's). All I did was play the game, write a few reports, and make some maps, while everyone else did all the hard work of making sure any serious bugs were caught/fixed. So...thanks again, Wildbill. It is nice to have one's efforts, small they may be, recognized and appreciated.

With that, I'm off...must finish processing the last game snapshots so I can finish writing up the last report for SSMS-II.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Thanks, Wildbill. You didn't have to do that, but I do appreciate it. I mean, that's completely unexpected, considering that my contribution has been minimal (compared to everyone else's). All I did was play the game, write a few reports, and make some maps, while everyone else did all the hard work of making sure any serious bugs were caught/fixed. So...thanks again, Wildbill. It is nice to have one's efforts, small they may be, recognized and appreciated.

With that, I'm off...must finish processing the last game snapshots so I can finish writing up the last report for SSMS-II.
You're welcome. And the reports. It’s best I have everything assembled in front of me so I can swoop through the whole game and release just one revision. I’ll be less likely to get sidetracked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Are you kidding, Bwah117, those maps had to have taken eons to put together. You deserve the credit. That was a great contribution, don't sell it short at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:13 pm 

@taskforce: Yeah, I guess you're right...it did take a while to make them all. I recall thinking, on more than one occasion, if I was ever going to finish them all, lol.

@Wildbill: Not a problem, I'm working on the last reports and should have them done this week. I actually did revisit the 'party switching', though not to the same degree as before. Thanks to that, I found a lot of other issues which would have remained hidden. That's the good news...the bad news is that there's now going to be two final reports, as a single report would have been huge otherwise. By splitting it into two reports, it's more manageable, I think.

Well, I'm off to work. Have a great day, everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
@taskforce: Yeah, I guess you're right...it did take a while to make them all. I recall thinking, on more than one occasion, if I was ever going to finish them all, lol.

@Wildbill: Not a problem, I'm working on the last reports and should have them done this week. I actually did revisit the 'party switching', though not to the same degree as before. Thanks to that, I found a lot of other issues which would have remained hidden. That's the good news...the bad news is that there's now going to be two final reports, as a single report would have been huge otherwise. By splitting it into two reports, it's more manageable, I think.

Well, I'm off to work. Have a great day, everyone!
Being you're really close to the situation, I'll receive it in any format that works best for you. Enjoy work!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 am 

Finally finished the last two reports for the game, Reports 15 & 16. These reports include some issues uncovered after "party switching" at certain locations, so they should be interesting. Speaking of "party switching", I did get a large portion of the key locations done, but not all of them. To try to get them all done would have taken a lot longer than it already did, so I figured I needed to get these reports done ASAP. In any case, new issues have been found, which is better than having them pop up years after the initial release.

Anyway, I've updated the other post with the download links back on...page 4 of the 'Post-Release Feedback' thread, that way all the links are in one spot, all together. I was going to post the links here, but decided against it, as then there would be download links scattered across different threads (which is very messy). I think it's better to keep all the links in the same thread :)

One interesting thing I noticed is that there's two endings for
Spoiler! :
Baltz, Rumiella, and Shamil.

How to trigger ending 1 (the good ending):
Baltz: Take Baltz to Kutomina (his old room), so he remembers his past. During his ending cut scene, he will have regained his humanity and is about to marry Rumiella.
Rumiella: Baltz remembers his past. During her ending, she marries Baltz (Cruz).
Shamil: Find and free Tran, Shamil's brother. During her ending, Shamil grows bored of life at Foxtail Village and decides to leave again (without telling her father). She says goodbye to Tran and leaves.

How to trigger ending 2 (the 'not as good' ending):
Baltz: Baltz does not remember his past, so during his ending he daydreams of someday proposing to the princess.
Rumiella: Baltz does not remember his past, so Rumiella decides to leave the castle to continue her studies in magic to become stronger, despite her father's objections.
Shamil: Tran was not saved during the game, so Shamil is seen searching for Tran during her alternate ending. Surprisingly, Shamil is searching the exact place where Tran can be found, during the game, except that the cat in the cage is not her brother. She leaves, continuing her search.

Everyone else seems to have only one ending. I was sure Urnie would have an alternate ending as well, depending on whether or not you obtained Fat Badger as a summons, but his ending was the same whether or not Fat Badger was obtained.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Finally finished the last two reports for the game, Reports 15 & 16. These reports include some issues uncovered after "party switching" at certain locations, so they should be interesting. Speaking of "party switching", I did get a large portion of the key locations done, but not all of them. To try to get them all done would have taken a lot longer than it already did, so I figured I needed to get these reports done ASAP. In any case, new issues have been found, which is better than having them pop up years after the initial release.

Anyway, I've updated the other post with the download links back on...page 4 of the 'Post-Release Feedback' thread, that way all the links are in one spot, all together. I was going to post the links here, but decided against it, as then there would be download links scattered across different threads (which is very messy). I think it's better to keep all the links in the same thread :)

One interesting thing I noticed is that there's two endings for
Spoiler! :
Baltz, Rumiella, and Shamil.

How to trigger ending 1 (the good ending):
Baltz: Take Baltz to Kutomina (his old room), so he remembers his past. During his ending cut scene, he will have regained his humanity and is about to marry Rumiella.
Rumiella: Baltz remembers his past. During her ending, she marries Baltz (Cruz).
Shamil: Find and free Tran, Shamil's brother. During her ending, Shamil grows bored of life at Foxtail Village and decides to leave again (without telling her father). She says goodbye to Tran and leaves.

How to trigger ending 2 (the 'not as good' ending):
Baltz: Baltz does not remember his past, so during his ending he daydreams of someday proposing to the princess.
Rumiella: Baltz does not remember his past, so Rumiella decides to leave the castle to continue her studies in magic to become stronger, despite her father's objections.
Shamil: Tran was not saved during the game, so Shamil is seen searching for Tran during her alternate ending. Surprisingly, Shamil is searching the exact place where Tran can be found, during the game, except that the cat in the cage is not her brother. She leaves, continuing her search.

Everyone else seems to have only one ending. I was sure Urnie would have an alternate ending as well, depending on whether or not you obtained Fat Badger as a summons, but his ending was the same whether or not Fat Badger was obtained.
This is some good information for the players out there. I finished the game three times and saw both endings with Baltz and Rumiella. I also did some switching, but the final scenes to mush through took so long, I just scratched the surface. Other than the hero, the story sort of centers around Baltz and Rumi anyway, so I'm betting all of the other final party configurations have one ending or the other most of the time. In the final bank, I didn't notice very many translated strings that I never encountered during game play. As you observed, the number of party combinations is massive, and it's impractical to calculate it and try to finish the game with all of them. I'm guessing that other possible endings, if any, are likely fairly generic. Appreciate your good work.

Good timing! Just last night, I finally wrapped up examining and processing Recca's 80-some-odd items in his Odysselya-I report, so I can assemble your reports now, open files in the SSMS-II insertion folder, and start fixing things. I'm also ready to brush off 3X3 Eyes and prepare to finish a full run with that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:28 pm 

I'm glad someone else also saw the other endings I mentioned. Party switching (especially at the final battle) is something else, mainly due to the fact that you have to fight three boss fights, back to back, so it takes a while.

Using strategic save states, I was able to reload the save state (to just before engaging Beauty), and select new final parties. Using this method, I made sure to play through the final battle with everyone at least once (and, in some cases, twice, due to the alternate endings). Now that I think of it,
Spoiler! :
Kupi might also have another ending. In his ending, he's writing a letter to Chico, the girl at the lighthouse. I wonder if visiting her (after darkness covers the land) and replying negatively to her question would trigger an alternate ending. Must check that later today... The thing about alternate endings is that not many characters have a...larger goal, if you will, like Shamil's goal of finding her brother, Tran, or Baltz recovering his memories. In that regard, it makes sense for some characters to have an alternate ending, though I must admit I was surprised when I first watched the different endings (I assumed the endings would always be the same for everyone, like in most games).

Wow! It sounds like you've got your hands full, Wildbill! I suppose that's how it goes when you're juggling multiple projects, though. Thanks for all your work...it was a pleasure playing through the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
I'm glad someone else also saw the other endings I mentioned. Party switching (especially at the final battle) is something else, mainly due to the fact that you have to fight three boss fights, back to back, so it takes a while.

Using strategic save states, I was able to reload the save state (to just before engaging Beauty), and select new final parties. Using this method, I made sure to play through the final battle with everyone at least once (and, in some cases, twice, due to the alternate endings). Now that I think of it,
Spoiler! :
Kupi might also have another ending. In his ending, he's writing a letter to Chico, the girl at the lighthouse. I wonder if visiting her (after darkness covers the land) and replying negatively to her question would trigger an alternate ending. Must check that later today... The thing about alternate endings is that not many characters have a...larger goal, if you will, like Shamil's goal of finding her brother, Tran, or Baltz recovering his memories. In that regard, it makes sense for some characters to have an alternate ending, though I must admit I was surprised when I first watched the different endings (I assumed the endings would always be the same for everyone, like in most games).

Wow! It sounds like you've got your hands full, Wildbill! I suppose that's how it goes when you're juggling multiple projects, though. Thanks for all your work...it was a pleasure playing through the game!
I did happen to witness the ending with Kupi you mentioned. The dynamics of this game exceed just about any RPG I can think of. Burning Heroes contained a number of variations of the the same story, viewed through the perspectives of different characters. It's good for players but tedious for story writers!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:21 am 

While gathering information for an enemy guide, I was forced to revisit Foxtail Village after darkness covers the land. I quickly realized that there's a new area of the map (which was previously inaccessible due to the stairway being covered with water). After darkness falls, the water has receded, allowing access to this new area. This new area has
Spoiler! :
Cat Ears for Shamil, a Wind Hood, and Vitalin All.
Not that much, but I can't believe I missed it for so long. Well, then again, it's not like there's any reason to return to Foxtail Village after darkness falls (unless you want to speak with Tran after you've rescued him).

Anyway...basically, this means I've updated the map pack, which now includes 68 maps total. I've also updated all links on the first page of this post. For those just wanting to download the complete .zip file, here's the link:

SSMS II Complete Map Pack https://www.mediafire.com/file/eyzyvpxw ... k.zip/file

I don't anticipate any further revisions or edits to the map pack, as this was the only place remaining that I hadn't revisited after darkness falls across the land.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next