Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post subject: Re: We have released. This topic is for post-release feedbac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:40 am 

Well, I finally beat the game a second time, this time with NO save states (only regular saves). Anyway, for my second run through the game, I mixed up my party and ended up seeing some new lines I hadn't seen before. I gathered from my first game that dialogue changes, at some points, based on who's in your party at the time, so I intentionally chose a different party from my first game. There's only a few points where the game does this, so I'll experiment more with party-switching a little later. I did find several new issues, so I'll be writing up a couple of reports on those.

By the way, Wildbill:

Spoiler! :
Thanks for your tip regarding the 'Steel Bug' enemy. I totally missed them on my first run through the game. That helped me level up my party members much faster than normal grinding, so thanks! I did find them up in the northern islands, where you said they'd be, before Nightfall, and kept grinding those enemies for about 2 hours. Once I hit level 50, I figured I was ready for the next area, so I advanced the game to the point where Dark covers the land in darkness. After Nightfall, I soon realized I was under-leveled, so I decided to poke around the other islands to see if, maybe, the 'Steel Bugs' relocated. Most of the northern islands were wiped out, so I started searching the other islands, and I finally found them again...they relocated to an island south of Port Seaba (it's the only one with a rock/boulder on it).

At a later point in the game, you gain a second 'Gold Badge', which gives all EXP to that party member, so I thought I'd be sneaky and equip the second 'Gold Badge' on someone else so they'd BOTH get all the EXP, but the game divided the EXP among those two party members instead. Well, it was worth a try...

Regarding the other hidden items: I didn't focus as much on them because I plan on making a detailed enemy compendium, which will also include items carried. There's a few other ideas I'm kicking around at the moment, such as maps for the game, but I cannot focus on those without neglecting my second run through the game. So, for now, I've put these other 'projects' on the back burner. Once I've finished writing up the report(s) and doing more party-switching tests, I'll revisit the other projects.

Well, I better get started on these reports. It'll probably take me a couple of days to get them done, but I'll post the download links as soon as they're ready.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Well, I finally beat the game a second time, this time with NO save states (only regular saves). Anyway, for my second run through the game, I mixed up my party and ended up seeing some new lines I hadn't seen before. I gathered from my first game that dialogue changes, at some points, based on who's in your party at the time, so I intentionally chose a different party from my first game. There's only a few points where the game does this, so I'll experiment more with party-switching a little later. I did find several new issues, so I'll be writing up a couple of reports on those.

By the way, Wildbill:

Spoiler! :
Thanks for your tip regarding the 'Steel Bug' enemy. I totally missed them on my first run through the game. That helped me level up my party members much faster than normal grinding, so thanks! I did find them up in the northern islands, where you said they'd be, before Nightfall, and kept grinding those enemies for about 2 hours. Once I hit level 50, I figured I was ready for the next area, so I advanced the game to the point where Dark covers the land in darkness. After Nightfall, I soon realized I was under-leveled, so I decided to poke around the other islands to see if, maybe, the 'Steel Bugs' relocated. Most of the northern islands were wiped out, so I started searching the other islands, and I finally found them again...they relocated to an island south of Port Seaba (it's the only one with a rock/boulder on it).

At a later point in the game, you gain a second 'Gold Badge', which gives all EXP to that party member, so I thought I'd be sneaky and equip the second 'Gold Badge' on someone else so they'd BOTH get all the EXP, but the game divided the EXP among those two party members instead. Well, it was worth a try...

Regarding the other hidden items: I didn't focus as much on them because I plan on making a detailed enemy compendium, which will also include items carried. There's a few other ideas I'm kicking around at the moment, such as maps for the game, but I cannot focus on those without neglecting my second run through the game. So, for now, I've put these other 'projects' on the back burner. Once I've finished writing up the report(s) and doing more party-switching tests, I'll revisit the other projects.

Well, I better get started on these reports. It'll probably take me a couple of days to get them done, but I'll post the download links as soon as they're ready.
Sounds good. BTW, speaking of switching characters and observing varied endings, a fellow named "Were1974" has burned 52 YouTube videos that generally cover the entire game. Video #52 (link follows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MsVB0049ng includes an ending with Robot featured in one of the final skits.

Here is a perfect example of the possible garbled test bug. If it's not a bug, our theory is this happens randomly as a consequence of using save-states. If Were1974 used save-states to beat the final boss, this garbled text in the ending could be due to that. No way of knowing. After seeing this in Were1974's video, first thing I did was locate these two crunched-together strings in the game, just to make sure I didn't mess up something. Well, I did not mess up. The two strings are located in totally different parts of the game.

If you happen to play an ending that includes Spanner's attempt to reverse-engineer Robot via dismantlement just prior to the very end of the game, I would be curious to know how this screen displayed for you.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:12 am 
Site Admin

I'd bet that is an assembly issue. I'd bet the game is switching banks in the middle of the text routine which causes it to pull text from a different location right in the middle of the output.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:49 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
I'd bet that is an assembly issue. I'd bet the game is switching banks in the middle of the text routine which causes it to pull text from a different location right in the middle of the output.
I wish we could fix it in all instances.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:03 am 

Wildbill wrote:
Sounds good. BTW, speaking of switching characters and observing varied endings, a fellow named "Were1974" has burned 52 YouTube videos that generally cover the entire game. Video #52 (link follows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MsVB0049ng includes an ending with Robot featured in one of the final skits.

Here is a perfect example of the possible garbled test bug. If it's not a bug, our theory is this happens randomly as a consequence of using save-states. If Were1974 used save-states to beat the final boss, this garbled text in the ending could be due to that. No way of knowing. After seeing this in Were1974's video, first thing I did was locate these two crunched-together strings in the game, just to make sure I didn't mess up something. Well, I did not mess up. The two strings are located in totally different parts of the game.

If you happen to play an ending that includes Spanner's attempt to reverse-engineer Robot via dismantlement just prior to the very end of the game, I would be curious to know how this screen displayed for you.

Thanks!

Hi, Wildbill. Sorry it took so long to reply, but I've been really busy today. To answer your question about the Robot garbled text:

In my first playthrough, I used save states and I DID see this exact same screen with garbled text.
In my second playthrough, I did NOT use any save states whatsoever, and I saw the exact same screen with garbled text.

I figured it might be pointing to the wrong block of text, but I'm just guessing here. Incidentally, and you're probably already aware of this, part of the garbled line displayed is actually from a line said by an NPC in Port Marinela, after darkness covers the land.

Still, I decided (just now) to check the ending in the original Japanese game, USING A SAVE STATE. Robot's lines all display normally in Japanese, though that's probably not really useful info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Thanks!

Hi, Wildbill. Sorry it took so long to reply, but I've been really busy today. To answer your question about the Robot garbled text:

In my first playthrough, I used save states and I DID see this exact same screen with garbled text.
In my second playthrough, I did NOT use any save states whatsoever, and I saw the exact same screen with garbled text.

I figured it might be pointing to the wrong block of text, but I'm just guessing here. Incidentally, and you're probably already aware of this, part of the garbled line displayed is actually from a line said by an NPC in Port Marinela, after darkness covers the land.

Still, I decided (just now) to check the ending in the original Japanese game, USING A SAVE STATE. Robot's lines all display normally in Japanese, though that's probably not really useful info.
It IS useful info because the problem appears to happen most often in the first Port Marinela chapter. I am going to check that file for some sort of stray keystrokes or symbols I could have made inadvertently while working on the story when I was half asleep! I will also retype the affected Robot string. The first time I encountered this problem was during my first draft, right after the first castle. I recall retyping a lot of the affected strings into fresh blank lines and encountering no more issues when I replayed those scenes.

Our text dumps are always carried over from the original saves. I have found instances of corrupted text in game play that are correctable by simply opening up blank space in the text file, retyping up to an entire string, and erasing all of the identical lines previously there. It's all a mystery to me, but it's almost like invisible characters or code were buried in what looked like normal paragraphs but were still producing corrupted outputs.

Heh, whatever works. I have fixed about 50 corrupted strings in Oni-II simply by retyping everything onto fresh lines or in some cases just re-doing the ending brackets around "key" ([key]).

.TEXT
[player]: Hi, Mom, I am
home![Face-$7F00]
Mayuki: Welcome back,
[player]. By the way,
have you seen my
stationery box, dear?[Face-$0100]
[player]: I believe you
stored it inside the shed.[Face-$7F00]
Mayuki: I might have, but
that is not a proper place.
So, [player], would you
mind fetching it for me?[Face-$0100]
[player]: Surely, Mom.[key]
.ENDT

Can you believe it? I simply erase [key] and retype it, and a string such as this no longer displays corrupted or crashes an entire screen.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

That is because Oni-II is VERY particular about not having white space in a text block where it doesn't belong. I'd bet in every instance you accidentally hit the space bar after tying [key] and that causes havoc. Stuff that can't be seen in a text editor still counts to the inserter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:10 pm 

Finally finished this report. I expected two more reports, but was surprised when I ended up with only one. Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ss7qrvl0 ... Report+12+[F8C3045E].zip/file

I do plan to run a few more tests, in which I'll switch in different party members. I'll be sure to report back should I see anything unusual there.

Regarding the garbled text...yeah, it would be nice to see these issues fixed, but at least the game is fully playable. Also, I found ANOTHER instance of garbled text, which you can find documented in this latest report. I totally missed it during my first game because the garbled text only appears if a certain character is in your party, which is why I want to run more tests on this.

Oh, and, not to derail this topic, but congratulations on the release of Shiji Hero Legend! I may run through it a bit later, though I've got my hands full at the moment with SSMS-II (and the side projects I mentioned earlier). The game looks really good, so thanks for releasing it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:47 am 
Site Admin

Just chiming in to say congrats guys on the release! Glad to see you got it out, and I am looking forward to playing it! I really enjoyed the first game, so I'm sure this one will be a lot of fun, too!

I saw my name mentioned in the credits... Though I may have offered to Q/A this game at some point in the distant past, I was never sent a copy of the patch or ROM. I can't say that I had anything to do with the patch's development, so if you ever do an updated patch, you should remove my name from the credits.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Just chiming in to say congrats guys on the release! Glad to see you got it out, and I am looking forward to playing it! I really enjoyed the first game, so I'm sure this one will be a lot of fun, too!

I saw my name mentioned in the credits... Though I may have offered to Q/A this game at some point in the distant past, I was never sent a copy of the patch or ROM. I can't say that I had anything to do with the patch's development, so if you ever do an updated patch, you should remove my name from the credits.
I guess so much time passed with me going through personal duties, moves, etc., you had retired before I got Recca to run a final test. Your name on there is well-deserved for everything through the years, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next